Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Leftys Using Righty Bolts >

Leftys Using Righty Bolts

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Leftys Using Righty Bolts

Old 03-31-2009, 06:21 PM
Spike

Default Leftys Using Righty Bolts

Ok guys im new here but i need some help. Im a lefty ive shot some 22. guns with a right handed bolt as well as a right handed 7mm Rem Mag that kicked like a horse. Anyways ive decided to buy a righty gun over a lefty gun (money and not alot of choice)and i want to know some bolt operating stratagies that have worked for you. Thanks - Sporkinator3

Old 03-31-2009, 09:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Leftys Using Righty Bolts

Southpawwho prefers lh bolts but i do havea few RHstill and shoot friends as well. I tuck or squeeze the stock with my shooting hand to steady the the rifle or barrel and then reach up and work the bolt. Being so use to left handed bolts I can't stay close to on target while doing this but my partner who is lh and shoots rhboltscan.

As fas as choicesI guess it depends on what your looking for butmore now then when i started switching over to only lh's and as result i find they are cheaper now as well. Savage, tikka, browning, remington, ruger, etc. JMO but i think if your going to shoot southpaw then buy a LH bolt if you can..or look at a different style action.

best of luck
Old 04-01-2009, 05:53 AM
Typical Buck

I have to agree with skeeter on this one.

Your follow ups will be better shooting lefty with a left handed bolt than with a right.

Also you will appreciate the left handed bolt long after you have forgotten that it cost you a bit more.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

Take a look at some of the case separation pix on this website and others and then look at where the gas port is on a right-handed bolt gun. Pretty close to that left eye, isn't it???
Old 04-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Spike

I too am a lefty and had the same issue. I made the right choice and bought a lefty bolt gun and am glad I did. It's just more natural to shoot. I bought a Remingtom XCR in lefty bolt last year. There are more choices than you might think for us. Try Remington, Ruger and Savage's website. there are lot's of choices between those three. I did notice when I looked at the Remington 2009 catalog that they do not list the XCR in left hand for this year but still had the SPS and CDL in left hand options.