Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 AR manufacturer question >

AR manufacturer question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

AR manufacturer question

Old 03-30-2009, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default AR manufacturer question

Hello all. I was thinking about getting an AK, but the more I am thinking about it, the more I want something accurate beyond 50 yards. So now I am looking at ARs

I don't know a whole lot about them, so the Googling will begin. But I was wondering, could someone please tell me the names of some good manufacturers.

I know of Colt and Bushmaster, but what about Rock River Arms? Are there any makers I should stay away from?

Thanks,
~Robert
Old 03-30-2009, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: AR manufacturer question

All the major manufacturers are pretty good. Just stay away from any frankenguns. Otherwise you should be fine.

Tom
Old 03-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Spike

Stick with Colt, Rock River Arms, Bushmaster, Olympic, or DPMS and you will be good to go. My personal preference is Colt but I have shot the others listed above and they are just as good. Glad to hear you came around on your choice. Stock up fast on Hi-cap mags before obama and the dems makes them illegal.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JKody

Stick with Colt, Rock River Arms, Bushmaster, Olympic, or DPMS and you will be good to go. My personal preference is Colt but I have shot the others listed above and they are just as good. Glad to hear you came around on your choice. Stock up fast on Hi-cap mags before obama and the dems makes them illegal.
I just picked up a Smith & Wesson M&P 15.. very nice gun... can't go wrong w/ S&W or any of the others above. Also, Stag Arms.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a couple DPMS and they're great rifles.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stock up fast on Hi-cap mags before obama and the dems makes them illegal.
Your not kidding! The last gun show I went to was a mob scene.

Thanks for the comments. This gives me a good starting point.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:49 AM

Does anyone make 450 bushmaster mags with more than a 5 round capacity?
Old 03-31-2009, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like DPMS uppers, but I like Rock River Arms lowers best. I just got myself a RRA stripped lower as the start of a project rifle, and also so that the "gun" would be considered "pre-ban" if Obama does get another AWB passed that includes a grandfather clause like the old one. Although, I don't think that an AWB 2.0 will see the light of day until at least Obama's second term, and then probably not until just after the mid-term elections. I think that most of the libs remember the royal butt whooping they got in 1994, and even Slick Willy admitted that the AWB was to blame for the staggering losses the libs suffered. I just hope the panic buying stops soon and the prices and availability of AR parts improves.

I'm actually glad to see you coming around on the AK vs AR thing. I think that you will be much happier and better served by an AR than ANY AK. Between the far greater accuracy, precision and flexibility of the AR system, the AR is simple a much better rifle.

Mike

Old 03-31-2009, 06:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Honestly, with the exception of a few AR manufacturers all of the major compenents are the same. They all come from outsourced manufacturers.
Bushmaster, DPMS, Rock River, Smith and Wesson, Doublestar, etc... are all good rifles.
Colts, you will pay a couple hundred just because it says Colt on the side and they aren't any better than any of the other brands.

If you really want a quality rifle then look at Sabre Defense or Knight Armament. I know that Sabre is ISO 9001-2000 certified and manufacturers all of their own major compenents and I am pretty sure that Knight does as well.

http://www.sabredefence.com/index.php
Old 04-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

i will catch a lot of slack for this i know

my first AR was a complete Bushmaster lower and a complete upper from model 1 sales
stainless, 20"bull barrell, 1-8 inch twist rate, chambered in .223 not 5.56
thing was a tack driver
bought a box of remanufactured black hills ammo in 68gr 73gr 75gr and 77gr
77gr was the best, bullets had a high tendency to touch on paper at 100 yrds
the others were ok, usually held a 1.5-2 inch group
the thing was just to damn heavy to haul

so i sold the upper for a pencil barrel 1-9 twist stainless steel 16" barrel from model 1 sales
have yet to really find the top ammo
all the stuff i have been using has performed good at hitting iron targets out to 150 yrds
been mostly shooting black hills blue box in 50gr V-Max and i belive 60gr V-Max
when i get back home i will have time to see what she really digs

also have a 20" complete kit (minus stripped lower) from model 1 sales waiting to be put together
that is a 1-8 twist rate
hoping she likes those 77gr as much as the first barrel i had

all the companies listed above make great products
no arguement there
but there are sooo many manufacturers out there today making AR-15 barrels and uppers and lowers
they all make good stuff to be honest
you can save a lot by buying kits from model 1 sales or del-ton or others
doublestar or stag arms is another manuf. to look at

my last kit i bought cost $800
but it comes with a PSG1 typepistol grip
the really nicemagpul adjustable stock
free floating alluminum hand guard (a must for an AR if you ask me)
20" stainless steel barrel, word on the street is SS is easyier to cut and is slightly more accurate then moly or chrome lined barrels
if your like me and clean your gun after every use go SS
it has a flat top picantee rail also for scopes

i bought my stripped lower at a gun shop
it is a cmmg and is good quality
probably drop a chip mccormick trigger in it, cost $200

so for a G i got a nice AR
if your looking for bare bones open sights you can get one for around $500-$600 total

Quick Reply: AR manufacturer question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.