Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 O/U Question >

O/U Question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

O/U Question

Old 04-23-2003, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default O/U Question

I am thinking about buying an over/under. I will most likely use it 4-5 times per year for trap and sporting clays and an equal number of times for upland birds. I am thinking about going with the Stoeger Condor Supreme Deluxe. I have talked to several gun shops and most recommend an entry level Browning or Beretta. However, when pushed on the subject they all say that the Stoeger may well do what I want its just not as pretty. Pretty does not mean much to me and while I am sure that the Browning and Beretta are better over all guns, I think I can put the $400 difference to better use if they will hold up to my use. Please let me know what you think.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:15 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-23-2003, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: O/U Question

I disagree, the Ruger Red label is a very nice shotgun. You can find older used SKB and Ithaca O/U' s that are just as good as Brownings and and Berettas for well under a grand. There is nothing wrong with the stoegers either, they don' t have the expensive wood and engraving and may not have as nice of a lock as the more expensive shotguns, but will certainly work as serviceable scatterguns if you aren' t out to impress people with how your shotgun looks.
I have a friend I trapshoot with who uses a very ugly looking savage SxS that he " improved" by porting the barrels. Its pretty rare that he doesn' t have the highest score on the squad, though sometime I still beat him if he misses one or two.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: O/U Question

I' m partial to a ramped rib and some O/U don' t have that. Even some of the new Brownings don' t have one.

I' d look at the difference and see if it' s something you care about. Berettas don' t have one and for me there' s only two O/Us I look at.....the SKB and the Citori.

I can' t tell you the number of times I tried to save a couple hundred bucks and regretted it later.