Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 308 Can't believe it >

308 Can't believe it

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

308 Can't believe it

Old 02-14-2009, 04:45 PM

Default 308 Can't believe it

Just got back from the Wheeling W.V. Cabelas. My neighbor is looking for a Tikka 308. And according to the sale's manager in firearms, the Fed's are trying to put a stop to all tactical Cailber firearm's 308,223 9mm etc. If this was my small town local guy i wouldn't think to much about it, but when Cabela's has had these caliber firearm's on back order for month's. It sound's to me like the Fed's are succeeding.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 308 Can't believe it

The current administration may try to make it so the civilian population cannot own a military cartridge (this has already been done in some parts of the world). This isone reason why the234 Win was so popular in parts of Europe as a rifle caliber. However, a numberof guns have beenbought by the generalpublicas a result of theconcernswith thenew administration. From what I have heard, firearms and ammunition in general are hard to find. The 9mm is a common caliber for a new handgunner, so it is not shocking they are hard to get. If the currentadministration does outlaw military/police calibers that will also include the 40 S&W, 45 ACP and 12 gauge shotguns among others.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

The gentleman is slightly misinformed, but technically correct. There is a difference between .308 Winchester and 7.62 nato, .223 Remington and 5.56 nato. 99% of the time they will work in the other chamber. I'm not very well versed on the 9mm, I am assuming it is the same with the parabellum, luger and nato.

They are trying to outlaw the millitary cartridges, but the 308 and 223 do not apply because they are sporting cartridges. This can be resolved by the manufacturer stamping the rifle with the civilian caliber. Now that will mean the bulk ammo will be gone unless the other countries exporting mark the ammo in the civilian name. Silver Bear has done this already with the .223, .308 and 9mm.
On some of the semi auto forums people say that a 5.56 AR is illegal for purchase in their state but an AR marked .223 is legal. Many of the guys in CA buy a 22lr AR lower or multiple caliber lower so they can have a rifle that will accept detachable magazines. Instead of popping the rear pin after every 10 rounds and loading the ar from the inside of the rifle.

I have no doubt we will see a lot of restrictions, just don't believe it will be a whole lot different than the last ban. With the acception of higher ammo, and possibly all millitary rifles banned from importation. At one time way back when, Gore was pushing a bill that would outlaw semi hunting shotguns and semi hunting deer rifles. The US firearm manufacturers crushed him since he had no viable facts to support his claims. Much as the climatologists are doing today for his global warming BS. Just trying to display the push for the dems. They spend a great deal of effort promoting lies to get the support for what they want by emotional acceptance. But by the time rationality is placed into the equation all of their hyped up bs crumbles because it is supported by oppinion not fact.
Blessings
Old 02-15-2009, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some states have a "semi-auto" ban on rifles & shotguns for hunting.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:06 AM
Typical Buck

We cannot rely on the necessary people being rational. To my knowledge, the current leader has yet to produce a physical copy of avalid birth certificate to show he is eligible for the office, and the presshad reported that JM might not be qualified due to his place of birth (US mil base).Dmct party madeits opponentprove he was eligible, and they had filed lawsuits trying to get him removed from the ticket.

The correct definition of anAW is a fully amat, but that too has been twisted by those against personal freedoms and the press.

When BC replaced 93 fdrl judges (some of whom were investigating alleged crimes in his party) you heard nothing from the press. They sure cried foul when BC's predessor replaced 8 - none of which were investigating alleged crimes against his party to my knowledge.

Several illegal contributions were made for the current leader in his run, some ofwhich were linked to allegedterrorists or the organization was linked to these activities. I never heard the major press give adequate coverage on these viloations.

There is no credible evidence for gw, yet the press reports it as being fact.

We have to be aware that it appears the dmct party controls the press.

I had a typo in my above post. I meant the 243 Win not 234.