Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 First Handgun...CCW or no? >

First Handgun...CCW or no?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

First Handgun...CCW or no?

Old 02-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First Handgun...CCW or no?

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

I don't want a pistol without a manual safety. I just don't feel comfortable without it unless it's a revolver or maybe a LCP in a pocket holster. I just really like the manual safety and that was one of the big things I liked about the SR9 most new pistols don't seem to have.

The magazine disconnect isn't my favorite but if you look online there are ways to remove it. Do that at your own risk though as I've never done it or seen it done.There are reports of it being done though.

I don't understand yourreasoning here. You would be fine with a revolver, which does not have a manual safety, but you would be uncomfortable with a semi auto that does not have one??

Old 02-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: VAhuntr

I don't want a pistol without a manual safety. I just don't feel comfortable without it unless it's a revolver or maybe a LCP in a pocket holster. I just really like the manual safety and that was one of the big things I liked about the SR9 most new pistols don't seem to have.

The magazine disconnect isn't my favorite but if you look online there are ways to remove it. Do that at your own risk though as I've never done it or seen it done.There are reports of it being done though.

I don't understand yourreasoning here. You would be fine with a revolver, which does not have a manual safety, but you would be uncomfortable with a semi auto that does not have one??
I like revolvers but I don't think I would want to carry one for this reason. I'm not fine with one either as they just make me nervous not having a safety. I really don't know why I want a manual safety and I know a lot of guys don't mind not having them but for some reason it just makes me nervous even if it has a trigger safety on it.

The one thing about revolvers is you can leave one round empty so that if the trigger accidentally gets pulled it doesn't go off. You'd have to pull it twice for it to go off. This is what most guys I know that carry around here do and if I carried a revolver that's what I'd do most likely.

The LCP I really like but the lack of a manual safety is the biggest thing that has made me not too crazy to have one. In a good pocket holster that covered the trigger so it couldn't be pulled I guess I'd feel a little better about it but I still like to have a manual safety. I don't mine the grips safeties either. Not sure I like them as much as the manual ones but they to me are a lot better than either having nothing or having just a trigger safety.

Another guy I'm buddies with has a Glock and he said the same thing. He really likes' the gun but he doesn't like the lack of safety.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

original:hometheaterman
The one thing about revolvers is you can leave one round empty so that if the trigger accidentally gets pulled it doesn't go off. You'd have to pull it twice for it to go off. This is what most guys I know that carry around here do and if I carried a revolver that's what I'd do most likely.

My point exactly. A trigger is never accidently pulled. You keep the firearm in a quality holster that covers the trigger and has a good retention system and the weapon will only fire if youpurposely pull the trigger. I carry everyday as a deputy sheriffboth on duty and off. Ican't imagine carrying a weapon for self defense purposes and not having a round in the chamber. I can tell you this: if you are carrying in this manner andare put in a situation which requires you to defend yourself, you are probably going to wind up as a statistic.

Another guy I'm buddies with has a Glock and he said the same thing. He really likes' the gun but he doesn't like the lack of safety.
This is really not the case....Glocks actually have 3 safeties.A trigger safety, firing pin safety, and a drop safety. You can read up on them here: http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm
Old 02-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree about if you don't have a round in the chamber it's like asking to be a statistic. That's why I like manual safety's. I know as long as you have a good holster that covers the trigger you don't really have to worry. I don't know why I even worry at all the chances of hte trigger getting pulled otherwise without someone pulling it are slim to none I'm just always afraid something will hit the trigger or something and cause it to go off even though I know it rarely if ever happens.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:41 AM

The LCP I really like but the lack of a manual safety is the biggest thing that has made me not too crazy to have one. In a good pocket holster that covered the trigger so it couldn't be pulled I guess I'd feel a little better about it but I still like to have a manual safety. I don't mine the grips safeties either. Not sure I like them as much as the manual ones but they to me are a lot better than either having nothing or having just a trigger safety.

A chamber is left empty on a revolver as a drop safety. Pulling the trigger advances the cylinder to a live round on a double action, and cocking the hammer on a single action does the same(DA as well).

Glocks have a physical barrier between the firing pin and the chamber that does the same thing. The firing pin cannot contact the primer without the trigger being pulled correctly. Some revolvers use a transfer bar mechanism, so you can leave all chambers loaded safely. I personally don't like button or grip safety mechanisms on a handgun, if you need it, you can bet that you will be in some kind of hurry in a bad situation. I don't want anything slowing me down.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigTiny

A chamber is left empty on a revolver as a drop safety. Pulling the trigger advances the cylinder to a live round on a double action, and cocking the hammer on a single action does the same(DA as well).

Glocks have a physical barrier between the firing pin and the chamber that does the same thing. The firing pin cannot contact the primer without the trigger being pulled correctly. Some revolvers use a transfer bar mechanism, so you can leave all chambers loaded safely. I personally don't like button or grip safety mechanisms on a handgun, if you need it, you can bet that you will be in some kind of hurry in a bad situation. I don't want anything slowing me down.
Wasn't leaving a chamber empty on revolvers amore common with blackpowder revolvers?
Old 02-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

Leaving a chamber empty on a revolver goes back to revolvers that did not have a transfer bar safety. Quite often you will hear this mentioned in old cowboy movies. Riding a horse or wagon over rough terrain, having a twig partially pull back your hammer, having your hammer struck by something hard while working or falling, etc. could cause the hammer to strike the primer on the round in the chamber. Be aware that not all revolvers have a transfer bar safety.

The best safety is proper training, practice, appropriate gear and the space between your two ears. Asafety is a mechanical device that should never be trusted as it can fail. I strongly suggest the NRA courses (basic and personal defense).

VAhunter, thanks for the job that you do and for carrying off-duty! I wish all LE had thepermission to carry off-duty.

Thanks also to all the military working to keep America safe!
Old 02-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well Matt,

Certainly a lot of options out there. Here's my thoughts.
1. Get a CCW permit even if you don't plan to carry all the time. (If you already have one, nevermind)
2. semi or revolver? Things to consider. If your wife would ever have to use it, a revolver is likely to be much easier for her. Semi's can jam, (although that happens less & less these days with good ammo and the good guns that are being built) Personally I like the guns without external safeties. One less thing to worry about in a stressed situation.
3. If you go with a revolver, a can't miss is the Ruger GP-100 4" barrel. But don't over look the Taurus Tracker series. They are nice guns as well and a bit lighter should you decide to carry more often than expected.
4.If you go with a semi auto, you have a million choices. XD's, glocks, beretta 92 or 96 are all good choices. I am not familiar with Ruger semi's as they never appealed to me.
5. I love 1911's and think they are great guns. My gun shop had good things to day about Rock Island, as they are pretty affordable too.
I'll admit I'm not a fan of recoil, but the 40 or 45's still are not at all bad to shoot. Maybe a smaller model 45 would be, but a full size 1911 to me is nothing. So whether you go 9mm 40 or 45 is up to you.

one last thing if you do decide to carry. A good holster is paramount. If can make a "heavy" gun feel like nothing. And improve your comfort a ton.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, guys. Looks like I have some decisions to make now, but in due time. I think I will start with a few trips to the gun shops and get a feel for which guns hold well in my hand first. Then start to narrow it down by features. I'm not sure yet whether I want to go with and Autoloader, or Revolver. Any additional input is greatly appreciated.

Ryan, I don't have a CCW permit yet, but will be getting one.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

Is there a gun club or shooting range in the area? Talk to the range officer to see if he can arrange for you to shoot different calibers in different models of handguns.Offer to supply the ammo. See if any of them have Springfield Days. Springfield Days is where Springfield hasa company rep present with several different calibers and models that you can shoot.

Be aware the 357 mag can range from mild to pretty stout in relt recoil (can range from 410 ft/lbs to about 625ft/lbs of energy(maybe a little more)at the muzzlefrom a 4" vented barrel. A 40 S&Wusually ranges from about 400 ft/lbs to 525ft/lbs. The 45 ACP does not usuallyvary asmuch in muzzle energyuntil you get into the +P loads. The 9mm can range from standard pressue to +P or +P+. BlackHills offers a 9mm +P load thathas a muzzle energy of about 430 ft/lbs at the muzzle. If you decide on a semi-auto, look at not only the cost of the firearm but also the cost of additional magazines and the cost/availability of good holsters.

Quick Reply: First Handgun...CCW or no?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.