Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 M44 Mosin Nagant >

M44 Mosin Nagant

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

M44 Mosin Nagant

Old 01-21-2009, 10:53 PM

Default M44 Mosin Nagant

I just bought an M44 Mosin Nagant. Its chambered for 7.62x54r shell. I was wondering if you can shoot a 7.62x39 shell throught it also??
Old 01-22-2009, 01:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: M44 Mosin Nagant

Nope you sure cannot
Old 01-22-2009, 03:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

NO WAY SHOULD YOU SHOOT 7.62x39mm in an 7.62x54R such as your Mosin Nagant!!!!!!!

The best thing that would happen if you tried is the cartridge simply wouldn't go off. It would have a dimple in primer and the case would be knocked forward away from firing pin. That's IF you're lucky. If it DID go off, the case WOULD rupture in the bigger chamber, with accompanying escaping gases, and part of the case may become lodged in the neck/throat area.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

No Way!!!! 2 completely different cartridges.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:17 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

NO WAY SHOULD YOU SHOOT 7.62x39mm in an 7.62x54R such as your Mosin Nagant!!!!!!!

The best thing that would happen if you tried is the cartridge simply wouldn't go off. It would have a dimple in primer and the case would be knocked forward away from firing pin. That's IF you're lucky. If it DID go off, the case WOULD rupture in the bigger chamber, with accompanying escaping gases, and part of the case may become lodged in the neck/throat area.
Maybe I'm just stupid, but I can't understand why anyone(not just this poor soul here) would buy a rifle and then want to shoot a different cartridge in that rifle? What am I missing? And the 7.62x54R is cheaper than the 7.62x39mm shells at this time anyway? I'm not picking on the guy that started this post and I'm certainly glad he or anyone else would ask instead of just going ahead and doing it, I just don't understand, if you want to shoot that cartridge, buy that rifle or firearm that is made for that particular cartridge? There are way to many accidents involving firearms as it is, why increase the chances for a fatal mistake?Again just concerned, this is not an isolated question or issue! Please be careful.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

NOOOOOO!!!! DON"T EVEN TRY IT! I have a few Nagants, great shooting guns, but get the 54. You can usually buy surplus for cheap if you want, just be sure to clean that gun well after shooting.
-Jake
Old 01-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

I would consider getting on some mosin nagant forums as soon as possible to learn about your new firearm. And please don't shoot it until you get the head-spacing checked by a gunsmith. You bought I fine gun and historic gun, I own 3. Please learn how to use it before you shoot it.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:05 PM

Thank you replying everyone. I bought the m44 from my dad. he bought it from a gunsmithing student. So i think it should be fine, ive shot it many times. I was just wondering if it would be possible to shoot a 39 ina 54. I didnt think you could. By the way whats the R in 54R mean anyway?
Old 01-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RugerMike

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

Maybe I'm just stupid, but I can't understand why anyone(not just this poor soul here) would buy a rifle and then want to shoot a different cartridge in that rifle? What am I missing? And the 7.62x54R is cheaper than the 7.62x39mm shells at this time anyway? I'm not picking on the guy that started this post and I'm certainly glad he or anyone else would ask instead of just going ahead and doing it, I just don't understand, if you want to shoot that cartridge, buy that rifle or firearm that is made for that particular cartridge? There are way to many accidents involving firearms as it is, why increase the chances for a fatal mistake?Again just concerned, this is not an isolated question or issue! Please be careful.

Mike. A major reason whywe see this is simple. We no longer use terms appropiately. In this day and age of texting and cell phones, we have totally disregarded the proper terms. People are in too big of a hurry. I look at some of the posts, and the language and terminology used is appauling. And when I point it out I get flamed. The younger generation just does not want to use the same"Words" that their fathers and grandfathers used. Those terms are considered old fashion.

A lot of shooters actually believe that cartridge and caliber are the same thing. So when they see the different cartridge designations, they just think it is the same cartridge with a different name. Tom.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: UberSniper

Thank you replying everyone. I bought the m44 from my dad. he bought it from a gunsmithing student. So i think it should be fine, ive shot it many times. I was just wondering if it would be possible to shoot a 39 ina 54. I didnt think you could. By the way whats the R in 54R mean anyway?

R-Russian.

Quick Reply: M44 Mosin Nagant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.