Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help Please

Old 01-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default Help Please

Hello everyone. I recently bought a 12 ga shotgun with full rifled barrel. I was told NOT to use anything but sabots in it. I have read several places of people using rifled slugs. Is that ok to do?
Old 01-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help Please

Why would you want to? It's designed for sabots and they will be more accurate than rifled slugs.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

You CAN safely shoot ANY 12 gauge slug, but as the previous poster said, they may not be as accurate, and won't retain downrange energy or as flat of an trajectory. Sure they're (foster type rifled) cheaper, but you'll pay with less performance. The deciding factor would be if you need the accuracy? How far are you planning to shoot?

Old 01-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

You CAN safely shoot ANY 12 gauge slug, but as the previous poster said, they may not be as accurate, and won't retain downrange energy or as flat of an trajectory. Sure they're (foster type rifled) cheaper, but you'll pay with less performance. The deciding factor would be if you need the accuracy? How far are you planning to shoot?
Agreed! If you want to shoot lead (foster type rifled) slugs, used a smooth bore and save you some cost on a rifled barrel? Sabots are more accurate, however cost more!
Old 01-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Spike

You can shoot rifled slugs through a rifled barrel, it causes little to no damage at all to your barrel. However, I was told by a respected gunsmith that once you shoot a rifled slug through a rifled barrel, you must not switch back to sabots as this will cause damage to your barrel.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know how "respected" the "gunsmith" is you talked to, but shooting an 100% soft lead slug through your rifled slug barrel makes absolutely NO difference! I happen to be a professional trained gunsmith for 27+ years, and it sounds like your gunsmith must have been hitting the sauce or something. The ONLY thing I can POSSIBLY think of is after firing massive amounts of rifled slugs, there MAY be somewhat of a lead buildup in the bore, HIGHLY unlikely however, and easily solved with a cleaning.

ORIGINAL: Savage .17

You can shoot rifled slugs through a rifled barrel, it causes little to no damage at all to your barrel. However, I was told by a respected gunsmith that once you shoot a rifled slug through a rifled barrel, you must not switch back to sabots as this will cause damage to your barrel.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:14 AM
DM

I wonder what "other" mis-information this gunsmith is spreading?

Perhaps he "ment" the bbl should be cleaned first, "incase" the lead slug left any lead in the bbl.???

DM
Old 01-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

I don't know how "respected" the "gunsmith" is you talked to, but shooting an 100% soft lead slug through your rifled slug barrel makes absolutely NO difference! I happen to be a professional trained gunsmith for 27+ years, and it sounds like your gunsmith must have been hitting the sauce or something. The ONLY thing I can POSSIBLY think of is after firing massive amounts of rifled slugs, there MAY be somewhat of a lead buildup in the bore, HIGHLY unlikely however, and easily solved with a cleaning.

Neil is right on this one, Again!

I would change gunsmiths.Lead build up is all that might occur. However with the width and depth of a shotgun barrels rifleing, It should just will need a good stiff bushing at BEST? Actually the plastic sabots are worst for build-up on the rifleings!
But I will say again. Lead rifled slug will not shoot as well as the sabot version. (at least the right sabot version) Every barrel and manufacturing type have their likes and dislikes as far as ammo accuracy?
Hope this helps?