Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I'm thinking of a new rifle for my daughter, >

I'm thinking of a new rifle for my daughter,

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I'm thinking of a new rifle for my daughter,

Old 01-07-2009, 05:30 PM

Default I'm thinking of a new rifle for my daughter,

She's a small girl and I'm leaning towards a Weatherby Vanguard or Savage in either .243 or 7MM-08. Reason being there both affordable.

Which would you buy? This would be used for Midwest Whitetails only.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I'm thinking of a new rifle for my daughter,

Personally, I would go with the Savage youth model in .243....actually I did for my daughters. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:11 PM

of the two choices, I'd go with the Savage as well. Either of the calibers you list would be suitable for a daughter!
Old 01-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

I'd go with the vanguard, my experiences with savage's are 3 neg and 1 positive (with a replacement barrel on it).
Old 01-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

I would go with a 7MM-08. Some places do not allow the 243 for deer.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

country1; I was not aware of that, are you refering to outfitters or states?
Old 01-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Typical Buck

I know there are outfitters who do not allow it, and there use to betwo or threestatesthat did not allow it (still do?) about 20 years ago. About 10 or 15 years ago, there were some additional states looking at not having the 243 as an approved caliber. I use a 30-06 so I never paid attention to how this turned out. You really have to be careful with your bullet selection and shot placement with a 243 as there is little margin for error. Yes, the 243bullets have improved, but IMOthere are still bettercalibers than the 243 for deer that have low or moderate recoil. Don't ignore the 308 or 30-30, but I don't suggest a 25-06.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I might be able to swing the price for a new rifle - but I'd have to see your daughter first.!! Just kidding of course. I have no exprience with the Vanguard, but I did buy my grandson a Savage 11FYCAK. It is a youth model with muzzle brake and detachable magazine. I got it in 7-08 because I also have a 7-08 and reload. Man it that rifle accurate. I mounted a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x on it and have it shooting well under 1 MOA. My best 5 shot group is .23" with several under 1/2". And the recoil with the mbrake is minimal. I'm now deciding on if I should really give it to him when he gets old enough...
Old 01-08-2009, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: country1

I know there are outfitters who do not allow it, and there use to betwo or threestatesthat did not allow it (still do?) about 20 years ago. About 10 or 15 years ago, there were some additional states looking at not having the 243 as an approved caliber.
Are you sure you're not thinking the .223? There have been many,MANYdiscussions about the .243 on this board and NEVER has it come up before that "some states don't allow it".

ORIGINAL: country1

You really have to be careful with your bullet selection and shot placement with a 243 as there is little margin for error.
And here we go again. In terms of "margin of error",yes - andyou're subject to the same thing when using your .30-06. Bullet selection andshot placement play a big part in terminal performance REGARDLESS of which caliber you're using.A deer's vital area doesn't get bigger when you use a .30-06, or does it?

Having actually used the .243 to hunt whitetails, muleys, and pronghorns, I can say unequivocally that not a single one of those I've shot were lost, not a single one of them needed a second shot, and not a single one of them traveled over 50 feet after being hit. I can't say the same of my experiences with the .270 or .30-06, since I've had to finish one deer apiece with them. Does that make them bad deer rifles though?

And, compared to the .30-30, the .243 is far superior, especially out west. How you'd choose a .30-30 but dismiss the .25-06 (which is also a great deer cartridge) is .... well, interesting.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

Why not get her a Swedish sporter in 6.5x55 Husqvarna available all over these days.Good for everything up to elk + moose with zero recoil and mauser quality + class.......................Harold *******try Allan's Armory

Quick Reply: I'm thinking of a new rifle for my daughter,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.