Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Passing down a firearm? >

Passing down a firearm?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Passing down a firearm?

Old 12-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Passing down a firearm?

i think the way you feel is about how i would feel.it shouldnt have anything to do with being fare to the sister. you and your dad shared a lifelong hobby and sport and it included the tools of the sport. the brother in law has nothing to do with those memories. i would want all my dads guns to stay to blood family. brother in laws dont count as blood.if the sister wants to use them thats another story. im sure when the time comes the sister will get some things that are of no intersest to you (the brother). i see the father just trying to be fair but if you have expectations of getting his gun collection tell him that. make an offer to buy them if they mean that much to you. you can always buy your brother in law another 30-06 and 10/22 and airgun. tell your dad how you feel.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

When my dad died, I was the executor of his estate. I had to divvy up his collection. I had plenty of firepower so I wanted my son and nephew to be taken care of. I gave the nephew dad's 9mm, Sporterized 7.62 Mauser and Beretta 20ga auto. My son already has a pistol and shotgun so I gave him dad's M700. I kept a Beretta Tomcat for walking the dogs at night and sold the rest of his guns off pretty cheap.

There were no real sentimental pieces to me. Dad set me up with rifles and shotguns at an early age. We always just considered them tools but I wanted the grandboys to have something of dad's to maybe help remember the few hunts that they got to share with him. I will always have the memories of the great sport that my dad started me out in at a very young age and the countless hours we spent hunting. I don't need the iron to make those memories better. My dad's been gone for a few years now but he still tags along on all of my hunts.

Let go of the material part of the memories and you will be much happier.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you ARE wrong to be put off by something like this.

I'm not sure I understand your statement that neither you or your son will have a firearm keepsake from dad/grandpa. If it were me, I'd let MY son cut his teeth on that same .30-30 from grandpa, share with him the old stories and make some new ones. And some day, hand it down to him. It actually seems to me that your father thought enough to make sure that the rifle YOU have the sentimental connection to is the one he plans to give you.

As for the others, they're just "stuff". I've seen too many families spend years not talking to each other over the estate of the parents and over"who got what". Wasted time. Make the most of the years he still has left with you and your son, hope he sees the day that YOUR son bags his first deer with that old .30-30.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:59 AM
Spike

I appreciate all the comments so far. I never even thought I would get so many responses. I’m surprised that some even feel as I did.

It was a hard OP to write. I didn't want to sound like a whiney child, but I did have to vent. I have a wonderful relationship with my father and many hunting memories. I guess I took it for granted that his hunting gear would be mine so I could then pass it down to my son.

My brother-in-law is great. He and his family all hunt in Northern Wisconsin. I guess it's better that he be given the firearms than my stupid VEGETERAIN sister. But as great as he is, he is not "forever family", but my nephews are. I got to remember that and stop being so selfish.

After thinking about it, I'm grateful that the old 30-30 is coming my way. Dad did mention how many family members have owned that rifle, and that it will stay in the "family". I don't currently use it because I want to keep it in good condition. I bet that will change in a few years.

To everyone that responded....Thanks, it was great therapy.