Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 AR-15 - Need Help - Which one should I buy? >

AR-15 - Need Help - Which one should I buy?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

AR-15 - Need Help - Which one should I buy?

Old 12-25-2008, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default AR-15 - Need Help - Which one should I buy?

Hey guys,

My dad and I are in the process of buying an AR-15. What is the availability, best price, and best brand.??

We're thinking Stag Arms? Bushmaster?

Any thoughts on the best choice for a AR-15.

WE WILL GO WITH THE .223

We may put a scope on this gun but that is not the deciding factor. Looking for quality and reliabiity.

Brian
Old 12-26-2008, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: AR-15 - Need Help - Which one should I buy?

I've got dpms flat top 16" bull barreled .223 version and it shoots GREAT. In fact, it's my exclusive coyote/plinking/fun rifle. Recently I was able to bust 3 yotes from the same pack-I would've NEVER have been able to even THINK of getting 3 yotes with 1 of my beloved precision bolt action rifles. The 1st 1 was 80 yards, the 2nd was 200, and the 3rd did require a 2nd shot at 330. From now on, my dpms is my ONLY yote rifle. The dpms represents the best value combined with good quality on the market. They were running new for about 700$ retail but I don't know how much they would be now.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

I've got dpms flat top 16" bull barreled .223 version and it shoots GREAT. In fact, it's my exclusive coyote/plinking/fun rifle. Recently I was able to bust 3 yotes from the same pack-I would've NEVER have been able to even THINK of getting 3 yotes with 1 of my beloved precision bolt action rifles. The 1st 1 was 80 yards, the 2nd was 200, and the 3rd did require a 2nd shot at 330. From now on, my dpms is my ONLY yote rifle. The dpms represents the best value combined with good quality on the market. They were running new for about 700$ retail but I don't know how much they would be now.
I've witnessed both DPMS and Rock River Arms AR's print astonishingly small groups that I would not have believed had I not seen them shot before my own eyes.

As for price, now that Comrade Obama is about to be enthrowned, and the congress is more liberal than it's been in 30 years, I'd expect the price of the still legal AR's to go up significantly. But just remember that when you pay 150-200% of the pre-election price of the rifle that you're paying more for "hope" and "change." [:@]

Mike

Old 12-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Driftrider-you are absolutely right about the panic buying making people go crazy buying things/quanitys they would never buy before. He'll have to find somewhere that'll be able to order at close to retail in order to pay 2-4 times what it usually costs. I forgot in my other post-in my opinion, Les Bauer builds the best factory ARs I've seen, but at a price. They even rival custom built ARs in offering 1/2" or smaller guaranteed groups at 100 yards, and they DO back it up.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

if you like the idea of building your rifle your self, you can get a stripped lower for about $125 out of midwayusa.com then build the rest of the rifle to your desires. right now im building one on a DPMS lower and it will have a 1-9 twist 24" bull barrel on an A3 flat top upper with a magpul stock and when its all said and done she will have a jewel or timney bang button as well. and the nice things are i will be able to build the rifle for about half of the cost if i bought it built and i will have the pleasure of building her myself.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Rock River Arms Predator in .223that is very accurate and fun to shoot. I have a 6.5X18X40 scope on it, so a yote or ground hog doesn't have a chance out to 300 or 350 yards.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

I got the Stag as did my friend and I am happy with the accuracy.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I appreciate all of your time spent letting me know guys....My dad and I are heading down the path of Stag arms.