Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 handgun hunters.... >

handgun hunters....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

handgun hunters....

Old 12-17-2008, 11:09 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: handgun hunters....

Mauser,

I like S&W revolvers, don't get me wrong....I even own a few of them but as you probably noticed I prefer single action revolvers for hunting and that's why I have the Rugers. That and the fact that they are darn near bullet proof. If you want to shoot extreme high power hand loads on a consistent basis you can through a Ruger. I'm not so sure a S&W will take a steady diet of +P+ and not need the works tightened up after a while.

As far as the scope is concerned go with a variable power if that's what you like. Cranking up the magnification will no doubt get you up close to your target but it will also magnify your every twitch and be a bit jumpy and hard to hold steady. I always recommend using some sort of rest while shooting a scoped pistol but it's almost a necessity with anything over 4x.

Good luck with your choice, as long as you stick with the big name companies your pretty safe as far as reliable sound working pistols are concerned. Don't skimp on the scope it's just as important (if not more) than the gun it sits on.

Just to prove I'm not a S&W hater.....here's a few.

1950 Chief Special (Baby Chief).38spl

1951 Chief Special (Baby Chief) .38spl

1954 Chief Special .38spl

1910-1915 Regulation Police .32 long

1957 Model 19 (no dash) Combat Magnum .357Mag

1974 Model 13-1 .357mag

And an auto thrown in for good measure Model 39-2 9mm

Old 12-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've hunted with handguns for years so I'll share what little I know with you. To begin with, .44 magnum will be plenty out to 100 yards. Since I'm a HUGE ruger fan, the cheapest quality gun I reccomend it the excellent ruger super blackhawk hunter. This gun is truly without peers in it's class of reasonably priced single action revolvers. And for hunting, you'll NEVER use double action anyway. Bullet choice is easy in the .44 mag as anything from 180 gr jacketed hollow points to 240 gr jacketed hollow points do the job just fine. Don't go with the hardcast lead bullets if you want expansion. The hardcast work great when you need LOTS of penetration.

Scope selection is a bit more critical for hunting handguns, revolvers in particular. I used to use nothing but leupold m8 2x scopes on my hunting handguns but since my eyes have gotten older, I now have variables on them. You don't NEED variables BUT they REALLY come in handy for allround use. Let me explain. In most hunting situations, You'll keep the scope turned down to low power, for sighting in or longer shots the increased power is great. I noticed my groups started getting bigger when I started hitting upper 40s so I put the first 2.5x-8x on-man I couldn't believe how much difference it made. My groups instantly shrank to 1/2" at 50 yards from solid rest. When hunting and you get a shot within reasonably close range, a low fixed power or variable scope helps you because the field of view is not only larger, but it's also MUCH easier to see thru the scope due to being a lot less critical of it blacking out on you. With handgun scopes with their very long eye relief, the more magnfication it has, the easier and quicker it'll black on you. That's another thing Ialways have, a good set of shooting sticks. When shooting from shooting sticks, it greatly steadies your aim and enables you to see clearly thru the scope. For any but close shots, use a rest, even if it's no more than bracing hands between knees.

Something you may think about, as long as you carry both handgun and rifle, you'll likely not use handgun, and if you do, there'll be less satisfaction. When hunting with handgun,bow,or whatever, only take the weapon you fully intend to hunt with, with exception of having handgun along when hunting with other weapons as some do-not me however. I think that's about it for now except to say PRACTICE, then practice more every chance you get.

ORIGINAL: mauser06

handgun hunters.....take me to school.

kinda leaning towards revolver opposed to single shot...just because i want it to still be a "real" pistol.

game would be whitetails for the most part...

distance...my rifle kills have been from 4ft out to 100-150yds...dont need anything to reach out past that...100yds and under would suit me fine...

since it will be a revolver, it would have to be a Smith and Wesson. dad would tan my hide if i brought home anything else....just the way he is lol....any particular model S & W come to mind??

so....

scope? yes? no? if i went with a scope, id want something i can still see well out of and have a good FOV..might like a variable power too....that way i can crack close groundhogs with it

but ive never played with a handgun with a scope so i dont know...pretty sure the FOV would be TINY because its so far away?? how hard would it be to get on target quickly? say a walking deer 40yds through a bit of brush...? the only reason i like scopes is i can find brush in the scope that i cant with bare eyes...and the fact that i can make a better shot....

barrel length?? i dont want anything huge...but dont wanna have a useless hunk of metal i cant shoot either....

caliber?? how large of game could i hunt with a 44mag? how long of a shot are you handgun hunters comfortable to take a deer with a 44mag?

anything else??? school me...feel free to tell me anything you wish about handguns and handgun hunting...i just feel i need a change of pace from rifle hunting....already hunt with a bow and flintlock....slug gun and inline wouldnt be much different...im thinking i would probably LOVE pistol hunting and could still carry the rifle if i really wanted to.....

thanx guys
Old 12-17-2008, 11:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx bigJ....i know id never use the double action while hunting...and been doing some reading and the rugers seem to be the choice from many handgun hunters....i have trouble hitting anything with a double action revolver....my first shot from my Sig took some practice to get down and i think it breaks lighter than most DA revolvers(could be wrong..) i just know ive shot 38s and 357s DA and cant do real good..not nearly as well as SA....

thanx for the info stalkingbear!

i know if i carry the rifle and pistol, i'll never learn to hunt with the pistol....i used to do that flyfishing ALL the time..id carry the spinning rod "just incase" and after a half hour of nothing, i was using the spinning rod the rest of the day...never learned to flyfish till i started leaving the spinning rod at home....still cant flyfish all too well, but im learning every time i go....i want to hunt with a pistol because i need some spice in my life...thats why i picked up the flintlock and the bow...love both...but i have a flintlock season and a bow season...as well as a firearms season....i really cant bowhunt in rifle season due to moving and alert deer....i could take the flintlock, and i have..i just enjoy hunting with it more in the late season...i love hunting up close n personal, and thats what most of my shots are...i can think of 1 deer that was over 100yds and it was close to 100yds...most are less than 50 for the most part...a few between 50-100 but very few...so leaving the rifle at home would be no big deal...i dont sit over fields or anything....

i understand the blackout and magnified movements...even with the rifle, i usually get my knee as a rest if nothing else...but theres a ton of options for a rest wether its a log or tree or a monopod or shooting sticks etc....

hopefully i can get a vehicle under wraps this summer and have some toy money left over and can have a handgun setup and shooting before fall!! the more i read, the more it sounds like im going to love it....and, i think once i get into it, dad might be right behind me. not sure why hes never done it....he might not be a GREAT shooter, but ive watched him absolutely punch holes with wheel guns...4" and less...i always tease him that he shoots wheel guns better than he does a scoped rifle! lol...he has always been a smith fan...but i wont let him influence my buy...simply because he doesnt know HUNTING handguns...not that i believe ANY are lesser...

i know my local shop always has a could hunting handguns sitting on the used shelves that are dang near brand new...guessing guys cant handle them or cant shoot them....but i bet i can find a decint deal on one when im ready...and i know i will beable to atleast handle a bunch of different models and makes at the shop....and if they are used, he will let me take them to the basement to test fire if i want(perks of growing up across the road from the shop owner )
Old 12-17-2008, 11:49 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

I've hunted with handguns for years so I'll share what little I know with you. To begin with, .44 magnum will be plenty out to 100 yards. Since I'm a HUGE ruger fan, the cheapest quality gun I reccomend it the excellent ruger super blackhawk hunter. This gun is truly without peers in it's class of reasonably priced single action revolvers. And for hunting, you'll NEVER use double action anyway. Bullet choice is easy in the .44 mag as anything from 180 gr jacketed hollow points to 240 gr jacketed hollow points do the job just fine. Don't go with the hardcast lead bullets if you want expansion. The hardcast work great when you need LOTS of penetration.

Scope selection is a bit more critical for hunting handguns, revolvers in particular. I used to use nothing but leupold m8 2x scopes on my hunting handguns but since my eyes have gotten older, I now have variables on them. You don't NEED variables BUT they REALLY come in handy for allround use. Let me explain. In most hunting situations, You'll keep the scope turned down to low power, for sighting in or longer shots the increased power is great. I noticed my groups started getting bigger when I started hitting upper 40s so I put the first 2.5x-8x on-man I couldn't believe how much difference it made. My groups instantly shrank to 1/2" at 50 yards from solid rest. When hunting and you get a shot within reasonably close range, a low fixed power or variable scope helps you because the field of view is not only larger, but it's also MUCH easier to see thru the scope due to being a lot less critical of it blacking out on you. With handgun scopes with their very long eye relief, the more magnfication it has, the easier and quicker it'll black on you. That's another thing Ialways have, a good set of shooting sticks. When shooting from shooting sticks, it greatly steadies your aim and enables you to see clearly thru the scope. For any but close shots, use a rest, even if it's no more than bracing hands between knees.

Something you may think about, as long as you carry both handgun and rifle, you'll likely not use handgun, and if you do, there'll be less satisfaction. When hunting with handgun,bow,or whatever, only take the weapon you fully intend to hunt with, with exception of having handgun along when hunting with other weapons as some do-not me however. I think that's about it for now except to say PRACTICE, then practice more every chance you get.
Great advise stalkingbear especially with the bullet selection. No need for hard cast when hunting for Whitetail, I've had pretty good success with hand loaded (not by me) Hornady 240gr XTP/HP 1500fps/1200ftlb out of my SBH hunter.

I carry it in a bandoleer style holster across my chest...works great!

Old 12-18-2008, 12:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys! I forgot to mention the super blackhawk hunter comes equipped with ruger steel rings. Ruger rings mount directly to the firearm without the need for seperate bases (except the .22 semiautos). Less parts mean less to possibly become loose, and the ruger rings are bombproof.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mauser,Don't forget the .41 mag.I can't believe ruger mike has not seen this yet..........LOL
Old 12-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ultimate hunting revolver: S&W Performance Center Stealth Hunter in 44 mag. w/Leupold red dot 1X scope.

Ruger: No Thank You. Tom.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great responses BigJ71! How's the back doing after your last surgery, I've been wondering?

I am also a Ruger fan, just so happens I've done some work for Ruger, so I may be biased.
As far as revolvers I believe they are the best bang for the buck (no pun intended).
I choose the Super Red Hawk (.44 mag) for the dbl action and I like the stock rubber grip, it fits my hands perfect.

I also have a S&W .38 Special ~ 6" blued, amongst a few other pistols, just for plinking around.
The Smith's are another fine Revolver, so your Dad won't steer you wrong! Along with the Colts, you couldn't go wrong with any of them.

I originally wanted the .454 but just couldn't fathom the price for the Freedom Arms revolver I wanted, it is sweet though!

Since I've had my Ruger I've grown to really enjoy pistol hunting and will attempt up to 75 yards, or so, under the perfect conditions. Past that, I am not comfortable. I use generic Dessert Eagle loads (cheap) and this guy went two feet.
-----> Straight Down! Good luck!

Old 12-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure you already know this but rebuilding super blackhawks to 5 shot .454 and redhawks to .454 is getting pretty popular, I've built several super blackhawks to .454 in the last 3 years alone, and for a lot less money than freedom arms premeir grade.

Yes, I realize ruger offers super redhawks in .454 but a lot of people, like me for instance, like the action/lock design of thr redhawk better (MUCH smoother/lighter double action pull-no stackup weight).

NOT trying to get business, just sharing idesa of what some of my customers like.

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedi
I am also a Ruger fan, just so happens I've done some work for Ruger, so I may be biased.
As far as revolvers I believe they are the best bang for the buck (no pun intended).
I choose the Super Red Hawk (.44 mag) for the dbl action and I like the stock rubber grip, it fits my hands perfect.
I originally wanted the .454 but just couldn't fathom the price for the Freedom Arms revolver I wanted, it is sweet though!
Old 12-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Typical Buck

My vote is for a S&W 57 which is a 41Mag.

Less recoil and better accuracy than a 44mag.
I have taken several deer and hogs with this caliber. I own 5 wheel guns and one lever action in this caliber. Actually, I was fortunate to take a pretty nice 8-pt Indiana Whitetail off-hand at 116 yards this season.

Quick Reply: handgun hunters....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.