Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 affordable rifle >

affordable rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

affordable rifle

Old 12-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default affordable rifle

I AM TRYING TO DECIDE BETWEEN A WEATHERBY VANGUARD AND a SAVAGE RIFLE IT WILL BE IN 270 WINCHESTER PROBABLY S.S. SYNTHETIC ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED CHAD
Old 12-06-2008, 07:31 PM

Default RE: affordable rifle

you can't beat a savage for the money or accuracy.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Either would be great. The Weatherby might have a better stock though. Savage has a great reputation for accuracy but they have no guarantee that they will shoot good. The Weatherby does have a 1 1/2 guarantee. The Savage has the accu-trigger but the "new" Weatherby trigger is pretty sweet. Its really a toss-up go to the store and shoulder both then buy the one you want.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Fork Horn

You might want to look at a Marlin XL-7. They come in a .270 and have a accu-trigger type trigger on them. Plus they only run around $300 brand new. I have one in a .270 that will easily put 3 in an inch at 100yds. IMO there alot of gun for the money.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

Go with the Savage, I'll buy another one on my next Rifle purchase. I have a Stainless/ Synthetic now in 7mm. Mag. I'm thinking the next one will be .270 Synthetic Blued barrel. A nice light weight rifle. Good Luck
Old 12-07-2008, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote for the marlin xl7! I recently ordered 1 for a buddy as a present and was so impressed with it for that price range,I wound up ordering another for use as a "loaner" rifle to keep in case somebody needs to borrow a decent shooting rifle to hunt with (or give to my boy when he finally straightens up). From the 2 I've actually shot (admittedly a small number for testing),these rifles perform wayyy out of their price range-both in .270. They also feature marlin's own form of the savage's "accutrigger",and weaver type scope bases are furnished. For a 275$ rifle,ya can't beat them! like I said,I'm rifle poor and own all kinds of bolt actions and was pleasently suprized as hell with them.

ORIGINAL: Jacob Garrett
You might want to look at a Marlin XL-7. They come in a .270 and have a accu-trigger type trigger on them. Plus they only run around $300 brand new. I have one in a .270 that will easily put 3 in an inch at 100yds. IMO there alot of gun for the money.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Typical Buck

I lean toward the savage but my neighbor just bought a vangard in 7mm-08 that shot 1/2" groups with the first box of ammo he tried. I think you are picking between two winners. Just something elseto consider is the the Howa made in the USA???
Old 12-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just something elseto consider is the the Howa made in the USA???
How does that effect how well the gun performs?
Old 12-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with the Savage, but realistically either will do the job for you just fine. Pick the one that fits you best.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:33 PM

You might want to look into one of those new Marlins but the Savage 111 package deal seems like a logical choice.

Good luck

Quick Reply: affordable rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.