Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

BAR

Old 11-17-2008, 12:19 PM

Default BAR

Hi there, I just returned from my annual deer hunt and was fortunate to down a nice 4 point whitetail.I am the guy with the 40 year old Remington Model 742 Jam-o-matic. Luckily the 1st shot was good, as the buck took off and after the 2nd shot the gun jammed....again. Anyway I have decided to buy a new rifle as I need dependability. Ilike .30-06 am looking at the BAR LongTrac in black matte. Any of you guyz had personal experience with this firearm ? Thanks for any comments...in 2009 I will not be using the ol' girl anymore, she has served me very well over the years. My son (25 years old) wants to inherit her, so, he can have the associated problems along with the very successful history of this gun... Al
Old 11-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BAR

It's just me personally but i like the steel recievered bar safari model.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:40 PM

Thx for your input.
Al

Old 11-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

I have a BAR LongTrac in .300 Mag. It is very ammo sensitive. It won't cycle Federal ammo at all and is intermitten with both Remington and Winchester. This is the last auto-loader I will buy. I would stick with a bolt action. Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:23 PM
Spike

I had a shorttrac 300 WSM that shot MOA with factory ammo. NEVER a malfunction with any ammo. I sold it because the 300 WSM was overkill for whitetail. I have since replaced it with a 308 shorttrac and I have had great resuslts withit. 1.5" groups with Remington Core Lokts and no malfunctions. I like the feel of the shortrac over the standard BAR. I would highly recommend both the shorttrac and standard BAR.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a BAR but just the regular BAR. Mine is a 1990 model. As you can see in my other posts I've had lots of issues getting it to group well. However, once I found the ammo it likes it groups pretty well at 100 yards and I'm once again loving it. I've honestly never had it jam no matter what ammo I've shot. It loves Federal Fusions. I've shot lots and lots of rounds of Winchester Power Points/Soft points, several boxes of Winchester Silvertips(Loves these at 50 yards but I was having trouble at 100), and Ballistic Silvertips, and a few boxes of Remington Core Lokts.

It is ammo sensitive. Very sensitive that is but not with jamming just with it only likes to shoot tight groups with certain ammo or so it seems. It's a fun gun to shoot once you figure out the ammo it likes.

I like mine quite a bit. Especially when I'm not trying to sight it in. Just has a great feel to it.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you're TRULY looking for reliability, then semi-autos are probably not the ideal choice. Even the best autoloaders will malfunction, whether it be due to ammunition, maintenance, weather, etc.

+1 Get a bolt-action (a good first shot is a good first shot)
Old 11-18-2008, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

If the "need for speed" is an issue, I would consider a Remington .30-06 pump. It will fire aimed shots just about as fast as a semi-auto, and is much more reliable and accurate.Also, you should note thateven the most inexperienced shooter can fire follow up shots with a bolt action faster thanmost experienced shooters can cleara stoppage in a semi-auto.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: keyshunter

If the "need for speed" is an issue, I would consider a Remington .30-06 pump. It will fire aimed shots just about as fast as a semi-auto, and is much more reliable and accurate.Also, you should note thateven the most inexperienced shooter can fire follow up shots with a bolt action faster thanmost experienced shooters can cleara stoppage in a semi-auto.
I can't say mine is quite as accurate as some other guns I've seen but it's accurate enough. However, both this and a Ruger semi auto I have have never once jammed on me. I can't say that about my Remington pump shotgun. I've got a few semi auto's that have jammed but for the most part I've found them to pretty reliable as long as you keep them clean and what not. I much much prefer semi auto's to pumps or bolt actions. Although, I don't mind bolt actions soo much. I just don't really like pumps.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:36 PM

After the first trigger squeeze it shouldn't matter! ; If it does you probably screwed up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.