Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 BOSS removed? >

BOSS removed?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

BOSS removed?

Old 11-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default BOSS removed?

I'm not that familar with the BOSS system. I know what they are for but I've never messed with one personally. Anyway on to my story... My friend just bought an A-bolt stainless stalker in .270win. He bought it because it had an extremly short barrel. I pulled a tape from muzzle to bolt opening and its only 19.25. To thechamber looked to be something like 17.25". Anyhow the muzzle doesnt have the factory lip around the edge, its smooth from the rim of the barrel with a slight dished out angle down toward the rifling. I am assuming that a BOSS was machined off (some reason this thing has been cut) Anyway how bad would this potentially hurt accuracy? Should he still see what I consider normal accuracy? IE 1-2" groups at 100yrds with non premium factory ammo? (remington corelockt 150gr) He probably wont ever shoot more than 200yrds and hes a farmer so he tends to be rough on equipment.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:24 PM

Default RE: BOSS removed?

If there are no threads and not a normal crown then I guess you are right that it was cut off, hopefully correctly and not with a hack saw. I guess the only way to tell how it will shoot is to shoot it. If it really sucks then he can either have it recrowned by a gunsmith or return the used rifle if allowed.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: BOSS removed?

Yea he bought it used and the shop is real good about dealing with you if you have any concerns. I was just curious of anyones thoughts that have messed with a BOSS. But the shortness of the gun was his selling point. Its easier for him to get it in and out of the tractor and whatnot... It'll probably be good enough for him anyway.