Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Quality weapons and chambers >

Quality weapons and chambers

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Quality weapons and chambers

Old 11-12-2008, 11:49 AM

Default RE: Quality weapons and chambers

i've got a mouser rifle, i had multiple types of shells fitted into it, and finally came up with it being a 7x57 mouser. the bullets fit great and ejected great but it doesn;t shoot worth a crap. the bullets flip flop and i cant site it in/. any suggestions? or is the rifleing just wore out?
Old 11-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you SURE it's a 7mmx57mm mauser???? It sounds like the bullets are extremely loose in bore.That COULD indicate you have a 7.92mmx57mm (8mm) mauser instead of a 7x57.The groove diameter of the 7x57 is .284 whereas the groove diameter of the 8x57 is .323. DO NOT assume you have ANY certain caliber until you know for sure.PLEASE for your sake,take it to someone knowledgeable or (even better) a gunsmith to be sure you know the correct cartridges for your rifle.

ORIGINAL: rbellinger59

i've got a mouser rifle, i had multiple types of shells fitted into it, and finally came up with it being a 7x57 mouser. the bullets fit great and ejected great but it doesn;t shoot worth a crap. the bullets flip flop and i cant site it in/. any suggestions? or is the rifleing just wore out?
Old 11-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

Are you SURE it's a 7mmx57mm mauser???? It sounds like the bullets are extremely loose in bore.That COULD indicate you have a 7.92mmx57mm (8mm) mauser instead of a 7x57.The groove diameter of the 7x57 is .284 whereas the groove diameter of the 8x57 is .323. DO NOT assume you have ANY certain caliber until you know for sure.PLEASE for your sake,take it to someone knowledgeable or (even better) a gunsmith to be sure you know the correct cartridges for your rifle.

ORIGINAL: rbellinger59

My thoughts exactly. How does your brass look after firing?
Old 11-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Id look into the 7-08 as well. Find a rifle that fits you that you like and pull the trigger.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:47 PM

Well I went ahead and got a Tikka T3 Lite 25-06. Mainly because it doesn't overkill my needs. I compared the rifles I was looking at and this is what I come up with

The Remington 700 .270 - Very nice, smooth bolt action, lots of power versatile on virtually any game out there... Easy to find shells. It's a little on the heavy side, and very flat shooting weapon.. Good amount of kick but managable Magazine isn't removable

Savage (not the accutrigger) - 30-06 -- It's nice, versatile, too much kick for me, every shot you have to retighten your scope rings...

Tikka T3 lite 25-06 - Very light, good amount of kick but managable, nice and flat shooting, Versatile for my needs in White-tail and possibly elk, all the way down to varmant, smooth trigger and bolt action, Easy to clean as the magazine is removable.

I'll mostly only use this gun on White tail, push comes to shove I'll get a 7mm mag if I want something bigger for Bear Use will mostly take place in the mountains in WV, back where my family lives. So I met my needs and I'm satisfied I can shoot coons, and deer, and will happy for now, untill I want a black bear.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:02 PM
Banned

Just set up my 30-06 Tikka T-3 Stainless with a Nikon Monarch 2 x 7. Thing weighs only 6.4 lbs. Im shooting Fed 165's Barnes TripleShox (wife freaked out about the lead thing, prego with a 4 year old, what are you gonna do?). All is can say is it shoots like a bad mother-shut-yo-mouth....
Old 11-12-2008, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: no_skill

Well I went ahead and got a Tikka T3 Lite 25-06. Mainly because it doesn't overkill my needs. I compared the rifles I was looking at and this is what I come up with

The Remington 700 .270 - Very nice, smooth bolt action, lots of power versatile on virtually any game out there... Easy to find shells. It's a little on the heavy side, and very flat shooting weapon.. Good amount of kick but managable Magazine isn't removable

Savage (not the accutrigger) - 30-06 -- It's nice, versatile, too much kick for me, every shot you have to retighten your scope rings...

Tikka T3 lite 25-06 - Very light, good amount of kick but managable, nice and flat shooting, Versatile for my needs in White-tail and possibly elk, all the way down to varmant, smooth trigger and bolt action, Easy to clean as the magazine is removable.

I'll mostly only use this gun on White tail, push comes to shove I'll get a 7mm mag if I want something bigger for Bear Use will mostly take place in the mountains in WV, back where my family lives. So I met my needs and I'm satisfied I can shoot coons, and deer, and will happy for now, untill I want a black bear.
You should be very happy with that set up. And just to let you know the 25-06 will handle black bear without breaking a sweat.

I a 30-06 makes you need to retighten your screwsafter every time you shoot it you have issues. Try some locktight.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

good choice on the .25-06 cartridge. since i bought mine, i have never looked back.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I guess I'm a little late with my post but I was also going to suggest a Tikka. I've never owned one but was looking at them the other night. I was impressed with the crisp trigger and the action. The bolt seems like sliding wet glass on glass. Even moving it slowly resulted in no drag. It was slicker than snot on a doorknob. And the price is decent. I was somewhat turned off by the polymer magazine. But then I thought, hey, I have pistols made with this stuff. Its pretty tough.
And the good part is I am lefty and it comes in a ton of chamberings. I really don't need another rifle but darn it, I just may have to get one of these. Guarranteed 3 shots in 1"? I hve rifles that will do that without the guarrantee. So this may be even better.
I may just have to get me a 338 Federal in the T3 Lite Stainless.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:04 AM
DM

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

For upper quality rifles,look at cooper if you can afford them. A step down from them is browning (my personal pick),sako,and a few others. Another option is to simply have a custom/semi custom rifle built just for you.
The 7mm08 is truly a cartridge that performs all out of proportion to it's size,while offering very mild recoil.
The leupold is the brand to compare to in american scopes. I'm sure you mean bushnell and while they may offer top quality scopes (elite series),I swore off anything with bushnell on it because of crappy customer service several times over the years.
I guess i'd pass on a Cooper rifle, seeing as how the "owner" of Cooper firearmssupported anti gun Obama for president with his wallet!

DM

Quick Reply: Quality weapons and chambers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.