Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Hearing Protection while shooting/hunting? >

Hearing Protection while shooting/hunting?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hearing Protection while shooting/hunting?

Old 11-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hearing Protection while shooting/hunting?

I just need some advice on hearing protection.. I have been wanting to purchase some "ear plugs" that I can use while hunting. electronic is fine, just need something to wear that will block the sound of a gun blast but something I can still hear game approaching..

Curious what others use or what is recommended?? Any Advice?

Thanks
Old 11-09-2008, 08:32 PM

Default RE: Hearing Protection while shooting/hunting?

Haven't tried them myself, but Walker's Game ears are supposed to be top notch.

http://www.walkersgameear.com/
Old 11-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Walkers Game ear which works very well. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do you guys use the behind the ear or the new ITC, left and right piece that goes in the ear canal??? Just curious if one works better than the other. Seems like the behind the ear would be uncomfortable after a period of time..
Old 11-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: demoIL

Do you guys use the behind the ear or the new ITC, left and right piece that goes in the ear canal??? Just curious if one works better than the other. Seems like the behind the ear would be uncomfortable after a period of time..

I havetheWalkers Ear Muffs. They keep my ears warm and are great!!!
Old 11-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use ear plugs with my 35dB ear-muffs at the range. Blocks out almost everything.

Hunting, admittedly, I don't use any hearing protection, unless you count my hat which has ear flaps to keep my ears warm which do deaden a little sound. If I hunted with a rifle that had a muzzlebreak I would.

I hear the Walkers Game Ears are a good product. I don't use them because they are a bit expensive, they require batteries which will, with my luck, go dead 30mins after I get settled into the stand 2 miles from the truck and I'll have forgot to put spares in my pocket, or one would fall out of my ear when it was dark and I wouldn't be able to find it. Just one more thing to forget, lose or break. I used to carry a bunch of gear into the field, but I've since decided that traveling light and keeping it simple is the way to go for me.

Mike
Old 11-11-2008, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just keep a couple foamies behind your ears or on a string around your neck. Then put them in right before you shoot.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

The foam plugs are ok but I prefer the rubber plugs (like Silenco) with the soft rubber 'fins' much quicker to install than the foam ones. As for the muffs, Sport Ear makes a nice set. And they are far less expensive than Walker's.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

My opinion is you really don't need hearing protection for hunting, unless you're super sensitive. There are two types of hearing damage: traumatic and long-term. Traumatic is from an instantaneous loud noise. Hunting guns generally aren't loud enough to cause traumatic hearing damage, although everyone is different. Long-term damage comes from a lot of shooting with no hearing protection, i.e. range time over the years (even with a .22). The few shots you'll let loose while hunting won't amount to much when it comes to long-term damage.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

i use cheap ear plugs when on the range and nothing while int he woods.

Quick Reply: Hearing Protection while shooting/hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.