Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 New Cannon Questions >

New Cannon Questions

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Cannon Questions

Old 11-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default New Cannon Questions

Well I am looking into another rifle here possibly after Christmas if i am good.

I think i am ready to get into a longer range rifle for deerthat I may take for elksomeday.

Currently here is what i have in my collection:
Winchester Model 70 Pre 64 30-06 with open sights (its a collecter handed down 3 generations and i just wont use it anymore)
Remington SPS Stainless 270 with VX-III- My Primary Deer Rifle
Remington .243 with VX-I- a loaner gun for friends or a backup just in case.
Mossberg 500 12 gauge slug gun - for shotgun only areas

Im thinking about getting a 300win mag, 300WSM, or a 7mm. Just not 100% sure on which one would be best for both deer and also for larger game in due time. We have a couple 500yrd fields whereI wouldnt even think about tryin to take a shot with my 270. Not real worried about the kick, just want something i could really reach out and touch em with...

Old 11-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Cannon Questions

I kind of like the 300 wsm. You can shoot 165's for deer and 180 to 200's for elk. The remington SPS varmint with the heavy barrel has a limited edition in or regular SPS seems to be accurate with it. Also, look at a Weatherby Vangaurd in sub-moa. Any of these will be a good start to a long range rifle.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd take a 500yd shot with my .270win before I would with my .300 win mag. reason being my .270 shoots far sub moa accuracy. and still woul dhave plenty of power at 500 for a deer, both shoot well, but that .270 would do the trick on a deer no prob.

Get a 7mm WSM then....

really a 7mm rem mag, .300 wm, .300 wsm any would do the trick.

.338 win mag...?

Old 11-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off, let me say that caliber/cartridge opinions are a little bit on the short side of your post here, in my mind. If you really are serious about trying to kill a deer at the ranges you talked about it's probably not gonna happen with an off-the-shelf rifle without some serious tuning, lots of handloading/load development, good glass, and lots and lots of practice at those ranges. It's not just a simple matter of picking up a couple of boxes of factory ammo and heading out there. Don't get me wrong....I'm not saying it can't be done, but it is done consistently by very few. Lots of time, effort, and money become involved in a quest like this. Perhaps I'm preaching to the choir here, and you may be already a competent, realistic handloader/ shooter. If so, I sand corrected. If you ever read some of Ridge Runner's posts on here, you will get a good idea of the tremendous amount of time and money it takes to become proficient at what you seek.
With all that said, any of the three cartridges you mentioned should do the job if developed correctly. I personally would give more of a nod to the 300 Win Mag and the 7mm Rem. Mag. JMHO.........
Old 11-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

Wellas you have mentioned, im not going to buy a new rifle then go out and attempt a 500yrd shot....

YesI do know that the 270 will get out there and get the job done, but its always nice to add another caliber to the collection...
Old 11-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Hmmm you better have a big wallet. Cause your gonna like spending the money once you start.... Any of them listed should work good for deer out to 500. Just be prepared to spend a lot of time at the range. Buy the best glass you can afford. do not go cheapon a scope or range finder. There is a lot of things you can do, like glass bedding, muzzle breaks, different barrels.... go check out a forum called "longrangehunting.com" It is full of information.
-Jake

Old 11-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

Probaly going to start with a Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem Mag or 300WSM

Probaly put on a VX-III Higher Power scope.

Im just looking at another gun with a little more power, range, and bullet variety if i want to go after something a little larger at some point.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I were looking for a serious long range rifle, and weight wasn't an issue, I'd probably start with a Remington M700 Sendero. I'd have a 26" Kreiger barrel installed in the same contour as the stock Sendero and chambered in 7mm STW. I'd also install a Timney or Rifle Basix hunting trigger, blueprint and bed the action and top it with a nice Nikon Monarch or maybe even a Zeiss Conquest scope with a top magnification of 14-16x. Then you're going to want to get yourself a handloading setup and work up some loads with a high BC 160gr bullet like the Accubond, Ballistic Tip, or Interbond. Then spend a lot of time on the range fine tuning the rifle and load for max accuracy, then more time learning the trajectory of the rifle. If you don't have a rangefinder, then you'd be well advised to practice range estimation until you have it down to within +/- 25 yards out to at least 600 yards. Even if you do have a rangefinder, practicing range estimation and practicing on an unknown distance course is a good idea. You'd better also learn how to dope the wind really well by reading mirage, observing the motion of grass and trees, etc... because any bullet will drift far enough to completely miss a deer even in a 10mph full value crosswind at 500+ yards. Be prepared to spend some money and a lot of time at the range.

Or, alternately, you could just buy a stock rifle that will shoot 1.5MOA and learn how to get closer to the animal before you shoot it. Long range shooting is certainly possible, but it's not easy and takes above average equipment and a lot more practice and marksmanship skill than most hunters possess. Consider yourself fortunate that you have a place to shoot past 200 yards. There are no ranges in my area that are longer than 200 yards (which sucks because long range shooting is challenging and fun).

Mike