Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What distance for complete pass through >

What distance for complete pass through

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What distance for complete pass through

Old 11-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What distance for complete pass through

I understand the subjectivity of this question, and all the infinite variables that contribute to the final outcome. However, in your personal experience, at what distances has your ballistic tip bullet of 150 grain or greater, failed to completely pass through a white-tail, or equivalent sized game positioned broadside at the time of impact? This is asked without any discernment or whether or not bone was hit. I understand the ballistic tip is not best used for close proximity, high speed impacts, so lets set the minimum distance at 100 yards. All comments welcome.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What distance for complete pass through

In general a Nosler BT and most other conventional expanding bullets for that matter actually penetrate better at the lower end of the velocity spectrum than they to do the higher. I know that inverse relationship sounds wrong, but the expanding bullets when shot at higher velocitieswill generate a larger, shallower cavityinstead of deeper penetrating wound cavity. The KE is released much quicker at higher velocities and this actually reduces penetration.

Solid non expandingbullets willalmost alwayspentrate further at higher velocities, as most hunter would haveexpected of all bullets.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, you are correct. As i said in my first post, close proximity, high speed impacts aren't what this bullet was designed for. That's why I suggested the minimum yardage be 100 yards so that the velocities have a chance to drop allowing for better penetration. Thank you for your reply.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hmmm... I've shot a number of deer , antelope and caribou with my .280 and 140 grain ballistic tips launched at appx 3000 FPS...

On a broadside, ribcage shot, I have always got complete penetration...

If shoulder or spine was hit, usually the remains of the bullet would be under the hide on the offside..

Hope this helps..
Old 11-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

It takes a darn good stw to spit em out at over 3500,even then I'll bet it's with long,tight"fast" barrel with max loads.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I knew since it was you that you'd have a good setup,just wanted to know what it was,the last 7mm stw I built got best accuracy at only 3425 to 3450.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

my 7mm Allen mag sends 150's downrange right at 3700 fps so its running the same velocity as the 7mm-08 does at the muzzle at just under 500 yards.
Damn, RR, you like your deer pills moving FAST! But then again, you're one of the elite few people I've heard of that can credibly take advantage of that much speed!

I personally think that the Nosler BT was designed with standard velocity and the "slow" magnum cartridges in mind, not the 100gr+ powder burners that have become en-vogue of late. If you like shooting a big magnum, and short shots are as likely as long, my personal choice would be to use a much stouter bullet like a Barnes TSX or Nosler partition (and others).

As far as the debate over the killing power of hunting grade BT's on deer, the line you see most is "I shot the deer and it ran 40 yards before it dropped, but the bullet didn't exit so what's wrong with it?" The answer is, of course, not a darn thing. The key is that the deer died, and did so quickly. If the deer is dead inside 75 to 100 yards, who gives a rip if the bullet made an exit hole?

Mike

Old 11-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im shooting 150's out of a 30.06 and my ranges for deer might be as low as 25 yards out to 250 yards. I was wondering if it would be advisable to use a coreloct bullet instead of the Winchester Ballistic Tip. what are your thoughts?
Old 11-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

While I'm in favor of the ballistic silvertips due to their record of rapid expansion and excellent accuracy(in handloads),There's NO reason to feel undergunned with the old proven cor-loct bullets as they have taken countless thousands of game animals.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

To the first question unless I hit bone on entry I have received pass thru's with NBT's, yardages of less than 100 to 500 yards onlight skinnedgame(deer). If the bullet failsI have yet to see it personally and that includes shoulder shots, closer range and magnum velocities.

In regards to your situation I personally see little need for a polymer tipped/expansion bullet unless thats what the gun prefers or the likelyhood of the shots being 200+ are more then closer. The NBT is my deer bullet b/c the chances of me taking a 300 yard shot are as possible as taking a 100 or less. At the longer ranges I get confidencefrom how accuratemy NBT load I have developed shoots. Plus, as mentioned above, my experiences have been positive with it in the pipe so why change.

If your at all worried but still want a polymer tipped bullet advantageswith some insurance that if hit at high MV or bone entry you'll achieve retention/penetration. Why not give the bonded ones a look - aka Accubond or Hornady Interbond? I have used the Accubond with excellent results.Last month I put a 225gr AB through a bull moose's shoulder's when he was up close and personal, bullet penetrated to the opposite side hide while retaining close to 70% of its orginal mass. The moose dropped on the spot.

G/L

Quick Reply: What distance for complete pass through

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.