Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Shotgun for Hog >

Shotgun for Hog

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotgun for Hog

Old 11-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Spike

Default RE: Shotgun for Hog

Goatbrother - your opinion of my *STATE* was not requested or necessary, if I had wanted that opinion then the thread would have been titled as such. You need to stay ON TOPIC. [:@]

Others need to read the post fully!!!- I stated all he has to use is a shotgun. Not a rifle or muzzleloader. If he had something more to use then he would - but comments regarding rifles or smoke poles is not what I am looking for!!!!!!!!! STAY ON TOPIC!!!!!!!![>:]The shotgun is the weapon of question with #2 hevi-shot and a carlson's dead coyote hevi-shot choke.

Other than that I appreciate your input hullbillyjunkie and I will try what you have suggested - thank you for staying on topic....
Old 11-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

right in the head at a range of MAYBE 30 yards and it will do fine... Dont push your range, otherwise you will just have a mad injured hog, and those are not fun.
-Jake
Old 11-08-2008, 10:06 PM
Spike

Thats exactly what I was thinking - no more than 30 yards. Hopefully a 20 yard or less shot out of a treestand is what I am gunning for. I am confident it will work well - especially with the carlson choke - I know it holds extremely tight patterns out to 30 yards.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe by"#2 or smaller shot" they mean smaller number-wise? Like maybe0,00 or000?

Maybe?
Old 11-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

Maybe by"#2 or smaller shot" they mean smaller number-wise? Like maybe0,00 or000?

Maybe?
I wish -but thats not what they mean. Smaller as in #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 - I wanted to use T shot, but that won't work either because it is larger than #2. So I am going to go with Hevi-Shot #2 with the carlson choke.

I had a guy send me a picture this week of a 250 pound hog he killed at 15 yards from a tree stand with a Mossberg 500 loaded with Hevi #2. Aimed right behind its right ear and boom - one shot one kill with #2 - So I know it can be done after seeing the hog and picture.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

Are hogs considered small game? I ask because most states see them as a nuisance and they are not regulated as a game animal. Most states you don't need a license to hunt them and there is no season on them. Now if your state regulates them then you need to follow the regulations. I would follow what the other poster said about contacting the fish and game and finding out exactly what the regualtions on wild boar are so you will know.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:54 PM

We have very similar rules here in Louisiana and I don't ever target hogs during small game season. That being said, I do on the other hand usually load #4 lead shot just in case I come across a close shot on a hog. Head shots are the only way to go with fine shot. I would probably limit myself to 20 maybe 30 yards
Old 03-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Spike

I think he should prolly make a pass on this hunt. I wouldnt hunt hogs with any shot under 00 buck. Not just its hard to put the animal down cleanly but damned dangerous too! I would rather have a bobcat in my bedroll than a wounded hog after me with not but bird shot in my gun !
Old 03-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HAMMERSCHILD
I think he should prolly make a pass on this hunt. I wouldnt hunt hogs with any shot under 00 buck. Not just its hard to put the animal down cleanly but damned dangerous too! I would rather have a bobcat in my bedroll than a wounded hog after me with not but bird shot in my gun !
You got that right. I'd try it if I had to, but I'd be glad my shotgun's a semi-auto. It'd go something like this; BOOM...crap...BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM!

Based on the regs posted, it looks like they're a bit ambiguous regarding legal weapons. Maybe you could call a local game warden/DNR officer and get first hand clarification. After all, it'd be him writing the ticket. In Iowa, for the most part, the legal weapon is game specific. So if you're deer hunting during ML season, you better be sporting a legal ML, but if you're hunting coyote, you can have a CF rifle or any other weapon legal for coyote hunting.

Mike
Old 03-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Spike

I hunt deer in South Carolina with a shotgun and buckshot. Part of my clubs land is in a hog-rich area. We have shot more than one hog with 000 and 00 buckshot, and it will kill them. However, it usually takes multiple shots, even on smaller hogs. With bigger hogs it seems to just make them angry until they are hit 4 or 5 times solidly. Last one we killed this year was shot 6-7 times with buckshot, adn then had to be finished off with multiple hits from a .45 ACP.
Based on what I have seen, I cannot recommend hunting them with #2 shot, even if it is Hevi-Shot. But if that is the only choice, put rifle-type open sights on the shotgun, get really close and aim for the base of the ear.

Quick Reply: Shotgun for Hog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.