Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 shotgun questions >

shotgun questions

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

shotgun questions

Old 10-27-2008, 05:54 PM

Default shotgun questions

First- does anybody know how much a Remington 870 12 gauge is at Bass Pro?
second- I don't know anything about the different types of shotgun ammo, but I want to know some before I buy one. What are the different types of shells? what should be used for deer hunting? What should be used for target shooting at the range? What are some good brands that will work but arent to expensive?

thanks
Old 10-27-2008, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shotgun questions

There's not much to it. The shells usually are labeled."target loads", "dove/game loads", "turkey loads", etc. Steel shot is for ducks, Use slugs or buckshot for deer.Brand names are a preference. Whichever is on sale is usually the best load. The exception might be turkey loads or slugs. Most gunsare particular on which one of those it shoots best. You'll have experiment. Invest in some choke tubes if your gun doesn't come with them.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

My dad has one. He uses Remington deer slugs. There isn't much to it.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it depends on what you're wanting to hunt. If you're going to be hunting upland birds and water fowl, my personal preference is an auto-loader. That way you don't have to pump it and then resight before taking the next shot. A 12 Gauge is a good all around gun because you can shoot pretty much anything with it. The load of the shells will dictate what you can shoot. I use my Remington 11-87 Super Magnum to hunt birds, hogs, and deer. I also take it to the range and shoot trap with it quite often. I've learned to stay away from Winchester Sport Loads. For some reason my 11-87 doesn't like them at all and I get all kind of malfunctions with those shells. Remington Sport Loads fire perfect out of my shotgun.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are thinking of buying this gun for deer hunting, my recommendation is to get one with a fully rifled barrel. I would also go with the barrel that has the cantilevered scope mount, and put a scope on it.

With that set-up you'll want to shoot sabot slugs, and there are a lot of them out there. You need to try a few to find out what your gun likes. Don't try to sight in right away, just get it hitting somewhere close and then carefully fire a group of each variety at 50 yds to compare group size (not where the group is hitting). Once you find the best group, then you can worry about sighting in. It generally works out that 2" high at 50 yds is about dead on at 100, but you should verify where your loads hit at ranges you expect to shoot inthe woods.

I'm shooting Brenneke KO Sabot slugs this year because they are reasonably priced and shoot well enough for my hunting.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:49 PM
Spike

Bass Pro has rem870's on sale right now until nov 24th?. In 12 and 20 gauge.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 870 Express Super Magnum or whatever the one that shoots 3 1/2" shells. I've had a lot of issues with it jamming very often and can't say I like the gun a whole lot. That seems to just be me though as lots of others seem to have good luck with them. If you want to shoot deer you probably either want buckshot or slugs. Slugs are nice if you want to use it like a rifle however, in a lot of places I use mine to hunt with slug's just aren't the answer so we use buckshot. If I was going to use slugs I'd rather just use the rifle. I use the shotgun with buckshot in places I can't use a rifle or slugs. Anyway, mine seems to like a full choke with Winchester 3" 000 buckshot. Doesn't seem to like 00 buckshot as much in 3" or 3 1/2". I don't know why. It also seems to like lock up the pump and you have to really hit it to get the pump to come back with the shell after a few shots with 2 3/4" shells. I've never tried buckshot in that size but it does that with target shot. 3" and 3 1/2" don't seem to have this problem but they just randomly jam like not kicking the shell all the way out or trying to send 2 into the chamber. Just random stuff like that.

Just thought I'd throw this out there as you may not want a slug gun depending on where you are hunting how you want to hunt and what your local laws are.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Spike

i would compare prices at a few other places before u get one from bass pro. not sure were ur from but i went to the bass pro here in PA and thier gun prices seemed high. even went to cabelas and thier prices was a little better.
diks sporting goods seem to have the best prices on guns ive seem. as a example i went to cabelas, basspro, gander mtn, dicks sports, and a few mom and pops. looking for the best price on a mossberg 702 plinkster in a pink/marble stock for my wife. and all those places had to special order it and the price ranged from 165.00 to 188.00 execpt for dicks sports they wanted 139.99 special ordered.
so just a fyi
Old 10-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

A few years backI purchased a Remington 870 Express Magnum combo from Gander Mountain. Package included a 28” smooth bore barrel and a 23” rifled barrel with a cantilever scope mount. I mounted a Nikon Pro-Staff 2-7x 32mm shotgun scope on the slug barrel. I have been extremely happy with the whole package including the scope. Shoots 2 ¾” – 3 ½ " shells. Slug barrel is very accurate. I shot this 200 pound doe through the heart at 110 yards with a Hornady SST. See attached photo.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff75/huntingthenorth/P1010002.jpg
Old 10-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I bought mine which was several years ago but is still the same on most things now Wal-Mart has the best prices. I ended up buying mine from a local gun shop as I wanted a wood stock and a 3 1/2" version. Well, Wal-Mart had the regular version in wood or the express super magnum which is what I wanted but only had it in Cammo. It was quite a bit cheaper than I paid for the wood one at the gun shop which had to order it. The Cammo was even more at the gun shop than the wood. Wal-Mart was way way cheaper. On most guns and ammo both nowadays it seems like 9 out of 10 times I compare prices Wal-Mart is the cheapest. Wal-Mart was cheaper than Dicks Sporting Goods at the time too for the 870 but neither had the wood with the express super magnum I wanted. After having problems with this then a scope later on that I bought from the gun shop and see that their support was imo horrible I wish I had just bought it from Wal-Mart. I don't ever want to do business with this gun shop again. I figured by paying more I'd get better support but that wasn't true. Wal-Mart wouldn't have really offered any support but that would have been way better than the support I got from the gun shop which was worse than them just not saying anything.

If it was me I'd check out Wal-Mart and see what they have and at what price. I've found one gun shop a few towns over that has some muzzle loader ammo cheaper than Wal-Mart and the 30-06 bullets were only like $.83 more a box but when I bought 3 boxes and some other stuff they took a few dollars off since they said I bought so much it evened out. Most stuff their seems to be in line with Wal-Marts prices. The guns I've had a few people say were higher than what they had seen elsewhere but when they told them what they had seen it for they came down in price. They are the only shop I've seen comparable to Wal-Marts prices.

Quick Reply: shotgun questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.