Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 recoil question >

recoil question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

recoil question

Old 10-26-2008, 03:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default recoil question

1. For those that have shot both, is there a noticable difference in recoil between the .260 v.s. 7mm-08?

2. Would the recoil be more similar to the .270 or .243/6mm?

Old 10-26-2008, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: recoil question

Recoil-wise, I'd rate the two about equal. Both are very soft "hitters". Obviously, variables such as rifle weight, stock design and ammo used will have an effect. If I had to choose one, I'd go with the 7mm-08 BUT both are delightful to shoot.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: dkhamner

1. For those that have shot both, is there a noticable difference in recoil between the .260 v.s. 7mm-08?

2. Would the recoil be more similar to the .270 or .243/6mm?

IF fired from rifles having the same weight, and using the same weight bullets at a similar muzzle velocity, the recoil of both would be about the same. This is true as they both use about the same weight of powder to give comparable MV's with identical bullet weights.

The recoil would be closer to that of a .270 using the same weight bullet, say 140 grainers in all three. The .270 would give somewhat more, because it needs more powder to give the same MV you can get with the smaller cases using less powder. The .243/6mm cartridges will give less recoil, because they fire lighter bullets.

The main variablesthat control recoil are: weight of the gun; weight of the bullet; weight of the powder charge; and MV of the bullet. The velocity of the escaping gas is also taken into consideration in the formula forcalculating recoil, but for smokeless powders this factor is usually the constant of 4700 FPS.....
Old 10-26-2008, 06:08 PM

Check out:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm
According to those findings, the 7mm has slightly less recoil, while shooting a heavier projectile!
Deffinate beni!
Old 10-27-2008, 08:10 AM

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

Check out:
According to those findings, the 7mm has slightly less recoil, while shooting a heavier projectile!
Deffinate beni!
Well, you must take into account the .260 figure comes from a 7.5 pound rifle, while the 7mm-08 figure uses an 8 pound firearm...
Old 10-27-2008, 08:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nralover

Check out:
Deffinate beni!
Well, you must take into account the .260 figure comes from a 7.5 pound rifle, while the 7mm-08 figure uses an 8 pound firearm...
As I noted, IF both rifles weigh the same, fire the same weight bullet at the same MV, using about the same amount of powder, the recoil will also be the about the same.

If you fire one from a 7.5-pound rifle and the other from one weighing 8 pounds, you are now comparing apples & oranges.....
Old 10-27-2008, 10:00 AM

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

ORIGINAL: nralover

Check out:
Deffinate beni!
As I noted, IF both rifles weigh the same, fire the same weight bullet at the same MV, using about the same amount of powder, the recoil will also be the about the same.

If you fire one from a 7.5-pound rifle and the other from one weighing 8 pounds, you are now comparing apples & oranges.....
Agreed I was merely pointing out the weight difference to user "game4lunch". I don't consider either one a shoulder breaker- I am sure that either one would make a great rifle for medium sized game.