Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How much eye relief for muzzle loader? >

How much eye relief for muzzle loader?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How much eye relief for muzzle loader?

Old 10-18-2008, 10:49 AM

Default How much eye relief for muzzle loader?

Is 3" enough (50 caliber, smokeless), or will I get a bad case of scope eye if I try to fire it with my eye only 3 inches behind the scope?

thanks
Old 10-18-2008, 11:26 AM

Default RE: How much eye relief for muzzle loader?

Prob. going to smack your hat brim. More space is better. Most who use the smokeless are looking for rel. high velocities, so 3" is pretty slim for the corresponding higher level of recoil. New scopes are offering 4-5".
Old 10-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sngehl01

Is 3" enough (50 caliber, smokeless), or will I get a bad case of scope eye if I try to fire it with my eye only 3 inches behind the scope?

thanks
Anything with substantial recoil needs to have the scope mounted as far away from your eye as you can get it! I don't consider a ML to have as bad a recoil as a 12-ga. firing slugs, but I would go with at least 4", and 5" if I could find a scope of sufficient power that has 5" of eye relief! 3" is on the short side for ANY arm capable of killing big game cleanly!
Old 10-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to disagree. I have two 50 cal inline muzzle loaders, that have very little kick at all. I would take it out and shoot it without a scope at maximum powder loads and see how it feels, and go from there. Three inches of eye relief would be plenty for mine. Good luck.

Edit-ML's don't kick like rifles do. It's more of a slower push than a kick.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Based on my experiences of learning the hard way, I would recommend at least 4" of eye relief on a muzzleloader if you're going to be shooting stout loads. I got smacked in the eye bad with a 3" eye relief scope on my ML, and it wasn't even a "magnum" load. Yes, ML's tend to have more of a "push" than a sharp "kick", but that "push" will still push the scope into your forehead or eye if there isn't enough eye relief.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot .500" round balls in my .50-cal. ML. It has very little recoil at all. However, I believe it is a mistake to put a short-eye relief scope on any gun over .22 rimfire.

You can never go wrong by insisting on as much eye relief as is available in a scope with the features you want, even if you don't really need that much right now. Who knows?? Just because you put it on a low-recoiling piece this season doesn't mean you might not want to use it on your .416 Rigby next year!!
Old 10-19-2008, 10:54 AM
bigcountry

For a muzzleloader, 3" is plenty. For a 300RUM, better be careful.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

i plan to buy the nikon omega bdc when i buy my ml it has 6 inchs of relief
Old 10-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not enough eye releif is a good way to start flinching. I would go with4" +.Good luck.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Nikon Pro Staff 2x7x32 muzzleloader/shotgun scopes. Havethem on two of my 50 calmuzzleloaders and 1 on one of my 12 gauge slug guns. I believe they are 3.5 inches of relief. I also wear glasses and have never had a problem.

Quick Reply: How much eye relief for muzzle loader?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.