Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Winchester xp3 Bullets >

Winchester xp3 Bullets

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Winchester xp3 Bullets

Old 10-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Spike

Default Winchester xp3 Bullets

Has anyone used these bullets on whitetail deer? If so, how did they perform?
Old 10-14-2008, 06:06 AM

Default RE: Winchester xp3 Bullets

XP3 is a bullet classification used by Winchester not the specific bullet. I tried a 270, 140 gr FailSafe several years ago. One shot, one deer...not much experiance to draw from but it worked well. IMO a XP3 class bullet are more than is needed for whitetails. After all, dead is dead.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: popeye

XP3 is a bullet classification used by Winchester not the specific bullet. I tried a 270, 140 gr FailSafe several years ago. One shot, one deer...not much experiance to draw from but it worked well. IMO a XP3 class bullet are more than is needed for whitetails. After all, dead is dead.

Actually the failsafe was discontinued a few years ago and the XP3 is an actual bullet design that has taken its place. But you are right it really is more thenis needed for whitetail. I have know people who used then and the deer died just as quick and dead as a corlok. If its the bullet that shoots best out of your gun use it, if not then there is no need.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

It is a large game bullet and a complete waste of time on even the biggest baddest canadian whitetail. It is desgined for deep penetration and breaking big bones without upsetting.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

+1 You are throwing money in the toilet if you plan on using this bullet for whitetails. Std Core Lokts will do just fine. If I was hunting moose,elk, or any other large creature capable of body harm then I would be using this bullet. It is a damn nice looking bullet though.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

I bought some to try in my 7mm. mag. They group real good. std core locs just don't have the tight groups I want out of my rifle. The win. ballistic silver tips also group great in my rifle. So yes it's true I will be wasting my money this year on XP3's for Whitetails..LOL
Old 10-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: glockman55
The win. ballistic silver tips also group great in my rifle. So yes it's true I will be wasting my money this year on XP3's for Whitetails..LOL
Confidence of a clean, ethical kill is never a waste of money IMO! No matter the game.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:33 PM

Hopefully I will be able to give you some input on the 300wms tonight. The ballistic tips for that round are much to violent (messing up way too much meat), so I decided to try these this year.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:06 PM

The only thing i didnt like about Winchester ammo like that si the coating on the bullet was a pain to clean out of the barrel after shooting.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Retaks

The only thing i didnt like about Winchester ammo like that si the coating on the bullet was a pain to clean out of the barrel after shooting.
Ain't that the truth. That stuff is a bear to clean out!

Quick Reply: Winchester xp3 Bullets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.