Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Low Recoil Bullets >

Low Recoil Bullets

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Low Recoil Bullets

Old 10-09-2008, 12:45 PM

Default Low Recoil Bullets

Anyone have any info on Low Recoil bullets. Good, bad, or snake oil.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Low Recoil Bullets

I fyou are speaking of the Remington Reduced Recoil ammunition. They are actually pretty good from all the reviews I have seen. They do however lose some of there speed and power.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

My wife has used the managed recoil ammo. It worked fine, and it did have a perceivable reduction in recoil.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GL78

Anyone have any info on Low Recoil bullets. Good, bad, or snake oil.
I assume you are referring to CARTRIDGES with reduced loads, intended to give lower recoil than ones with a full charge? (If so, it is best when asking such a question to refer to loaded rounds of ammunition as "ammunition" or "cartridges" etc., since the term "bullet" refers ONLYto the projectile which is launched into the air, and not to a complete round of ammo. Only members of the press can call a cartridge a "bullet" and expect people know what they are trying to say!!

I am NOT trying to be a wise-guy! I am merely commenting that it is easier to give a good answer to an inquiry if the question is understood correctly!

To answer what I think you are asking: I have not fired any of this "reduced recoil" ammo. But I can make it with my reloading equipment. All that is necessary is to use only the amount of powder needed to give the desired velocityand consequent recoil level.

I am sure Remington, (or whoever), can do the same! However, there is a penalty to be paid in terms of reduced terminal performance on game. But, if you are merely shooting holes in paper, it really makes sense to use only as much power as needed to give the requisite accuracy at the range you are shooting.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot Federal 135 grain 9mm ammo that says low recoil on the package and couldn't tell a difference from Winchester 115 grain regular ammo recoil wise. Maybe less but I couldn't tell. Neither are bad. In my rifle I tried the Remington reduced recoil but it's been a while and I don't like Remington ammo after a bad experience with them so I can't remember if they were better or not. I can't remember a huge difference.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I assume you are talking about rifle ammo(cartridges). Both federal and remington make special ammo for reduced recoil,federal's offeringsis called managed recoil and remington's offerings are known as reduced recoil. Both are available in several different cartridges. Yes,they have less fps(speed) and energy,but they're loaded with special bullets designed to expand at lower velocities. They are good out to about 200 yards but you will need to recheck your rifle's zero to ensure you'll be able to hit with these loadings.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Used em in a 270 and they will hunt. Keep your shots in reasonable distance and fill the freezer.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

The "managed recoil" ammo has a downside for me, it won't cycle in my Browning BAR. Shoots fine in my Rem. 700 though.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:57 AM
Spike

i have a .270 and i was looking at some of these managed recoil"cartridges" the other day for my wife and noticed that on the box it says something to the effect of thererange is only good to about 200 of 250 yards. i dont know how far you generally shoot your deer at but it is something to think about.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

"i dont know how far you generally shoot your deer at but it is something to think about."

90% of all deer shot are taken at ranges of 100 yards OR LESS. Therefor, this ammo is OK for 90% of all deer hunting.

Quick Reply: Low Recoil Bullets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.