Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 ANOTHER Nosler Ballistic Tip question..... >

ANOTHER Nosler Ballistic Tip question.....

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ANOTHER Nosler Ballistic Tip question.....

Old 09-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default ANOTHER Nosler Ballistic Tip question.....

Let me start by saying this is a question reguarding WHITETAIL DEER only...nothing larger like elk.

I'm just wondering if some of the "issues" with the Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets "blowing up" on deer comes from close range shots from a light weight/high velocity bullet.

I'm shooting a .30-06 and have always shot either 150gr. or 165gr. controled expansion bullets....but I'm starting to wonder if there might be some merit to say.....

A 180gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip for whitetails. Seems like the heavier bullet would be moving slower and be less prone to "blow up".....and a heavier bullet thats designed to rapidly expand sound like it would be devistating on whitetails shot through the lungs.

I know whitetails aren't hard animals to kill, but those little buggers can sure cover a lot of distance in a short time when they're not dropped on the spot/DRT.

Any ideas on if going to a heavy bullet that's moving slower butstill made to rapidly expand would maximize the damaged done by the bullet on deer sized game???

Old 09-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ANOTHER Nosler Ballistic Tip question.....

I have taken nine elk and two moose with the 180gr ballistic tip launched at 3340fps out of my 300ultramags.The 180gr ballistic tip has a much thicker jacket than the 150gr and 165gr .308" ballistic tips,so it doesn't expand as rapidly,and penetrates much more.I would personally use the 165gr ballistic tip if I was you.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the input stubblejumper....

If it helps any....my shots won't be stretched too far. Probably 200 yards max and most coming at 75-100 yards or less.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

If it helps any....my shots won't be stretched too far. Probably 200 yards max and most coming at 75-100 yards or less.
My 300ultramags produce about as much velocity at 400 yards,as the 30-06 at 100 yards with the same 180gr bullet,so the performance on game will also be similar.I have killed some of those elk and moose at less than 100 yards,so the impact velocity was much higher than your 30-06 is capable of producing at the muzzle.As such,the 180gr ballistic tip will not expand violently on deer out of your 30-06.I would not go heavier than 165gr for deer with your 30-06.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

My favorite 30-06 shoots the Nosler BT better than the Sierra, so I shoot the 165 grain BT out of the rifle. The bullet is devastating on deer. And we have shot a bunch of deer with this load. And it is a hot RL22 load. Shoot the 165 grain BT pill with confidence.

I am amused when shooter's talk about "BLOWUPS". In one post they will tell you how effective a 75 or 100 grain pill from a 243 or some diminuitive cartridge is the perfect bullet and cartridge for killing deer. And then in the next post someone will tell you a particular bullet that weighs 165 grains is no good because it will not hold together for deer.

A lot of shoters are convinced that if they do not spend $1 a bullet, then the bullet can not be any good. I have shot and seen a lot of these expensive bullets shot, and rarely have I ever seen the more expensive bullet shoot any better(normally not as well), or perform any better on deer.

The BT's are expensive enough. But man do they fly well. IMO they far outshoot(accuracy wise) the partitions. Tom.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

Schoolcraft,

This is a link to a thread I started not quite a year ago on ballistic tips. It has some very good information. Hope it helps.

http://hunting.net/forum/tm.aspx?m=2483700&mpage=1&key=&#248370 0
Old 09-28-2008, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I really don't consider the BT's to be "controlled expansion" bullets, but I suppose they are in a way, since they do have tapered-thickness jackets and the bases are solid to support the mushroom.

But if this is an issue, one can simply switch to the Accubond of the same weight. These are ballistically identical to the BT's, and there is no question but that they will hold together.....
Old 09-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

The most spectacular Kills I've ever seen have been made with 140 gr 7mm and 150 gr .30 bullets. I've seen plenty of deer killed with these and have never seen 1 get away-indeed most dropped in their tracks. Rarely do they pass all the way thru but that's fine as they expend all their energy in the deer. A 7mm or .30 bullet of this type has more than enough penetration to get inside vitals before expanding violently.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

NBT's have been my deer bullet for years, accurate and deadly has been my experience from close to longer range. I see no need for the 180's either unless thats what your rifle prefer's.

Already mentioned is the Accubond if at all worried about a close or shoulder impact. The bonded polymers IME have proven reliable expansion while retention is good for penetration or heavy slugging is required. Accuracy has been exceptable to exceptional in hunting rifles. In terms of my 338wm the 225gr AB produced the best accuracy of the combos I have tried & as suchcomeit will be in the tubewhen I chase moose in 8 days. I have taken a moose with the AB in my 7mm rem mag so have no doubt it will perform in the 338 as well.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot the 180 gr Ballistic Silvertips out of my 06 and have not had any issues with blow ups. Every deer shot has dropped either on the spot or ran no further than 30 yds, complete penetration with quarter size exit holes. Most of my shots are at woods ranges within 100 yds.

On a side note it's nice to see Eldeguello back on the board. Some of us were wondering when you hadn't posted in a while. Is all well for you?

Quick Reply: ANOTHER Nosler Ballistic Tip question.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.