Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Legal Question??? >

Legal Question???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Legal Question???

Old 09-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Legal Question???

I have a co-worker that is a convicted felon. He has served his time and is off parole. The only thing is the felonies will allways be on his record. Can he hunt with or own a muzzle loader? There is no background check to buy one, so does this make him legal. Just so you guys know, he's really a good kid, he just made a stupid choice when he was 18.

Thanks Bryan
Old 09-22-2008, 11:32 AM

Default RE: Legal Question???

I don't know if it's the same in all states, but here, you have to earn your rights back. If he is unsure, he needs to talk to his parole people about it. I worked with a gy several years back, that was a former felon. He had to go seven years clean before he could vote, then I believe another five before he could legally own a gun. He was conicted of stealing guns, also when he was 18. When I met him he had just worked off his restitution, and was applying to get his voting righs back. He is now a supervisor at the warehouse we worked at, and is raising a family. People can change.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

That is a good question so I gleaned this from the state of Florida. Maybe some LEO's can chime in here

In the Florida Hunting Regulations 2007-2008, Use of firearms by felons: It is illegal in Florida for convicted felons to possess firearms including muzzleloading guns, unless the convicted felon has had his/her civil rights restored by the Clermency Board or the firearm qualifies as an antique firearm under Florida statue 790.001(1). Properly licensed convicted felons may hunt with bows, crossbows or antique firearms per Florida statue 790 during hunting seasons when such devices are legal for taking game.
An antique firearm or replica definition covers most of the muzzleloaders of today with the exception of any/all the modern inline style.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

A ML isn't a regulated firearm under the BATFE lawsand fellons are not prohibited from owning one. It's going to be a state law that will prevent him from owning a ML.

Check with state officials..... I would call the DOW headquartersin Denver.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

A felon does not over time "earn" his / her rights back... A felon may appeal to the judicial system of the state in order to get the felony convictions expunged from his / her record. Very difficult, drawn out and sometime expensive thing to do...
Old 10-02-2008, 01:30 PM
bigcountry

I bet the parole officer would know the answer in a few seconds flat. NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Old 10-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't depend on an internet forum for legal questions. Such questions need to be asked to folks that have first hand, professional knowledge about the topic and in your area so any local/stae issues are also known. The legal info you recieve on-line in a forum is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:59 AM

Here's a thought, ask a lwayer in the state where you live.
It's a simple question, you'll have the correct answer and will
also have the ability to cover other questions that might come up that might come up.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've heard in some states ML aren't considered firearms....etc...

Call the state for him....and ask.

haha, parola officer would know? lol. There answer would be NOOOO!!!! but whether they know or not would be another story completely.

Keep us posted on your search for answers....what you find out?
Also might want to look into other states? Because what fun is only hunting your home state?
Old 10-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with Maine Shooter and popeye. If you have a legal question, ask a lawyer. Many will give you a free consultation in hopes of getting to represent you. You may have heard that in this country you are entitled to all the justice you can afford. Paying a lawyer would help get things done quicker.

Quick Reply: Legal Question???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.