Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 push feed or mauser action? >

push feed or mauser action?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

push feed or mauser action?

Old 09-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default push feed or mauser action?

As the quest for the rifle I "bond" with goes on, I wanted to get your take on the pros or cons of a push feed action (Rem. 700 or Browning A-Bolt) or a Mauser action (Ruger M77 or Winchester 70).

I'm specifically wondering if anyone has ever "short shucked" a round with a push feed in a hunting situation. I guess it's just reflex, but when I take a shot at an animal, I cycle the bolt really quickly.

I was recently helping to sight in a Rem. 700 and after the shot I SLOWLY pulled the bolt up and back and had my other hand ready at the bolt opening to "catch" the spent brass......but nothing popped out. I was suprised to see the empty round just laying there at the top of the magazine.

Most of my hunting has been with Ruger rifles, and that Mauser claw has always tossed the empty out and fed the next round in without a hitch.

Just wanted to what everyones preference is for a hunting rifle....push feed or mauser action
Old 09-08-2008, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: push feed or mauser action?

For most kinds of hunting I don't think it makes a difference. If you plan on doing any hunting hanging out of trees upside down get a controlled round feed action (mauser).

Tom
Old 09-08-2008, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

I think you answered your own question.MAUSER.............Harold
Old 09-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

I can see some benefits of a controled round feed action for more positive ejection and chambering a round. Just wondering if there are any advantages to a push feed action.

It seems like Remington and Browning are considered some of the more accurate rifles out of the box. Just curious if their push feed actions have anything to do with that.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some swear by CRF and some don't. I think that, for normal hunting situations, it doesn't really matter. For dangerous game it may be different, but I've NEVER had any instances myself.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

IpreferCRF, and have several Mausers in my collection.

I have some push feed rifles and while they work fine, I prefer CRF. I guess I'm just more used to it and an comfortable with it.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have yet to have a 700 Rem. fail to function under hunting conditions. Or any other conditions for that matter. Personally, I would have no qualms about using a push feed that you were FAMILIAR with for any game on the face of the earth. If I'm gonna freeze up in the face of a charging Cape Buffalo or a ticked off grizz, the type of action I'm carrying just plain isn't gonna matter...........
Old 09-08-2008, 07:38 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Got both.
Prefer CRF.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:52 PM

i had my 700 do the same thing once where i worked the bolt slowly and the shell just laid on the top of the magazine. Ive also had my ruger 77 jam once on me but in that instance it was my fault. I have had no problems with either while hunting. for where i hunt at, no bears or cape buffalo or the like, its a toss up. Id take the most accurate and handy one.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Unless you are hanging upside down or hunting something that will eat you or stomp you into a a mud puddle, the push-feed is just as good. Accuracy wise, there is no difference!

Quick Reply: push feed or mauser action?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.