Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Why I like Cabela's >

Why I like Cabela's

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Why I like Cabela's

Old 09-07-2008, 08:57 AM
DM

Default RE: Why I like Cabela's

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Doesn't hurt that their are 100's of stuffed animals all around you to aim at either.
Paul
Teddy bears are "stuffed", animils are "mounted"... lol

Everytime i've been to Dundee, they didn't have what i wanted, and to be honest i've left disapointed. (last time it was 9.3 286NP's)

There prices are high, and many times they don't even know what thehigher grade "used guns" are REALLY worth. I think many times they are just looking for a sucker to come along and buy them... I saw a drilling there that was so worn out, when open, it wobbled side to side... Someone had taken a hammer to the side clips and beat the "slop" out of it so it would "feel" tight when closed!!! It had a bastardjob of drilling and tapping the rib, with a Leupold scope mounted on it. Allfor $3,500!!! That's insane! That's one of many F-up's i see when i go there...

Why do i go there? Because i have a Cabela's card, and once a year when i'm in the area, i go to use up my points on "something" for FREE. It's nice that YOU are buying things there, so they can give me that deal... lol lol Oooh, i've never paid even one penny for the card, or paid even one penny of interest on it either, so it truely is for FREE...

DM
Old 09-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Spike

I'm like a kid in that store thats why I usually go by myself on a weekday and spend most of the day. I've been to the PA location 3 times and always walked out with a firearm in addition to the items I originally went there to buy. What makes it even worse is,I then start to get all of these incentives in the mail to go back and spend more money, "save 20% here, 10% there, spend $500 and get $150 coupon for next time". This is what makes me laugh. All these liberal democrats want to put an end to gun ownership and hunting in some states. They don'trealize the kind of money thats actually spent on these sports to keep the local economies strong?

The comment about the crap from overseas, especially China is so true. This has to stop!!
Old 09-07-2008, 10:05 AM

I won't buy a gun at cabela's, especially a used one. They want way too much money and it takes forever. The only thing I really look at actually buying when I go there is fishing gear, they have TONS of it, knives, they have a pretty good selection of those as well, and optics. Everything else I can normally get closer to home.

If you are looking for used stuff and live in the area check out Johnson's in Adrian. They have a decent selection with good prices. That is who I deal with most of the time.

I'm not saying Cabela's is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I am just amazed at the optics selection they have is all.

The archery department is worthless now, wasn't bad when they first opened but it steadily went down hill since then. Luckily we have a lot of really good archery shops in the area, Which oddly enough cabela's hasn't run out like most would believe.

Paul
Old 09-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Spike

I never buy used guns and I agree, the used selection is over priced. The new guns are cheaper at Cabelasthan the local shops in NJ and they always have a lot to look at, add in points, coupons etc. it's actually alot cheaper for me at least. Buying guns online I never do either but you can get better prices going that route. To me, its just not worth the few dollars i savings.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah they have a alot of selection..
But do they allow you to take a few demo models home to try out for a an evening or maybe a weekend if your willing to put down a damage deposit .
Selections mean squat if you can't field test them in ealry dawn and dusk bright sun heavy cloud rain etc.
I can't believe the amount of people that will go into a store at noon and start testingoptics, purchasing one,and thinking its a great field scope or other type of optic..
And all its really proven is its great for indoor use.
As much as I like to browse huge hunting chains store like
Wholesale Sports,(don't have a Cabelas)or other big outdoor retail chain,I always always, purchase from the local retailers cause theytend to be more personable that way.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:53 AM

I don't know of one store in my area, or any state I have lived in for that matter that would let you take a scope home and try it out without paying full price for it. And then most will not take it back unless something was wrong with it. Cabela's on the other hand will let you try it out. You of course have to pay for it first, but if you don't like it simply put it back in the box and bring it back to the store with a receipt and they will give you your money back, CASH. Or if you plan on buying something else they will put the money on a store credit card for you. They don't care why you brought it back, maybe you didn't like the color. Doesn't matter to them.

I tried three different scopes in a matter of a few weeks before. I got one, didn't like it, took it back and tried a different one, then did it again. It was actually their idea.

When I got my range finder I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend that kind of money on something like that. The guy behind the counter said to buy it, use it for the season and if I didn't like it just bring it back. As long as I kept the box and paper work I would get a full refund. I ended up keeping it. But while I was there I saw a guy return one and I asked him why. He told me he got one and used it for a guided hunt and it didn't range far enough. So he brought it back to get a better one.

And like I said, cabela's is a HUGE store with plenty of distance and different lighting conditions to check a scopes performance out. And they will even put it on a rifle stock so you can check eye relief and fit. And there are a number of animals at various distances to aim at just like you were hunting. It just doesn't get any better than that in my opinion when scope shopping.

So to an extent, yes they do exactly what you said. You could use a scope for a hunting trip if you wanted and then return it for a full refund as long as you kept all the packaging. My local gun shop would laugh at you if you tried that.

Paul
Old 09-08-2008, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

My favorite story about Cabelas. In 1996 my wife bought me a spotting scope with Cabelas brand name on it. I used it for 11 years, it bounced around in the truck for months, weathered every kind of condition, sat in the hot sun for hours at a time and finally the eye piece had a screw come out inside rendering it inoperable. I almost pitched it but thought I might as well call and find out if Cabelas would do anything for me on it. I got a return authorization and sent it off to them. Two days later I get a call from a CSR at Cabelas telling me they no longer sell that scope but they would do something for me. At the time she wasn't sure what but would call back. The next day the same person called me back and had determined that I was due a "full refund" in store credit......remember this is an eleven year old scope. They even credited ths shipping one way. They had me hooked at that point.