Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I have to get a new rifle >

I have to get a new rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I have to get a new rifle

Old 03-18-2003, 02:35 PM
AAA
Spike

Default RE: I have to get a new rifle

Sell the new rifle, what are you a communist?
Old 03-18-2003, 03:39 PM

7mm Mag.

Sounds like you know what you want already. I really like what the .270WSM has to offer, but I tried to price the ammo compared to .270 Win. Problem I came across was FINDING WSM ammo. Right now, not everyone loads WSMs.

From what I' ve seen, the 7mag and .270WSM are comparable in performance, but if you are ever in B.F.E. and need ammo, any Wal-Mart or sporting goods retail store will have 7Mag rounds. Same can' t be said for the WSMs.
Old 03-18-2003, 04:06 PM

LOL! But sometimes that is the best option if you can' t figure out what you want. I don' t think I have ever sold a sold.... well, just once!!
Old 03-20-2003, 12:35 PM

It seems you already have a deer rifle, Why not have some fun , trade it on a Ruger mini -14 [:-]
Old 03-20-2003, 02:22 PM
AAA
Spike

If I was going just for fun I would lean more to another lever action. I don' t need another lever gun. Since my main deer gun is an old sporterized Springfield I was just thinking of getting something with more reach than my 06 but not a cannon. It’s all going to depend on what the shop has in stock when I go next Wednesday to pick it out. I have already filled out my paperwork and the 10 day wait will be up on Wednesday (California waiting period). It’s kind of exciting not knowing what I’m going to get but what ever it turns out to be I will get to take it home immediately.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:55 PM

AAA,

I' m gonna have to give my " vote" for the Win. Model 70 270 WSM. I would get that setup b/c it' s new and it' s faster than the 270 Win.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:19 PM

AAA,
Sounds like you have a right fair rack of rifles without the newcomer! Looks like you have the mid range calibers well covered! I kind of like the recommendation of a 22-250 to fill in your lower end, but if that' s not your style, then I understand.

Any possibility you would reconsider keeping the one you won? You said it was too much gun for you -- is that assumed or from real experience? 338 with 200grs is quite managable AND is flat and fast. If you reload you can always do reduced loads and approximate a 338-06 (an easy going 338 cartridge). If as you said you hunt an occasional elk, then it' s hard to beat a 338. Plus if you get a wild hair one day and want to go to Alaska, then you are all set. Everyone should have at least one " bad boy" in the back of the gun safe for special ocassions.

Never Go Undergunned,
EKM
Old 03-21-2003, 09:47 AM
AAA
Spike

ELKampMaster,
In my younger days I developed a pretty bad flinch with the 06. It has taken many years and concentration to work it out. I feel that with a hard kicking gun I would have a good chance of flinching again.
Old 03-22-2003, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

I like Robert Scott' s recommendation. The .270 WSM will take deer and elk cleanly to any responsible range. The recoil is manageable, even for someone like me who is extremely sensitive to it.

For something a bit smaller, I like the .260 Rem.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:00 PM
AAA
Spike

I got my new rifle. The dealer was not as accommodating as I thought he would be. He was only going to give me $350 credit for the Ruger when I know $435 was paid by the Mule Dear foundation. And If I picked anything but a Ruger I was going to have to pay retail. Needless to say I just picked a different caliber Ruger. I did not have much money to add in to get a better gun. My choices where 223, 22-250, 308, 30-06, 300Win Mag and 25-06. I chose the 25-06. The 300 Win Mag has too much recoil for me, I have a 30-06 and a 308. I’m a little disappointed I could not afford a 270WSM or that he did not have a 7mm Mag in stock. Oh well, the 25-06 should be fun.

Quick Reply: I have to get a new rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.