Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Your take on scopes >

Your take on scopes

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Your take on scopes

Old 09-03-2008, 01:51 PM

Default RE: Your take on scopes

I have a few cheap BSA scope that are working great on my rimfires and small centerfires. But im slowly switching all my scopes to Nikons. I love their scopes.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

For my bigger rifles I have either Ziess Conquest or Leupold on them. The first time I looked through one I was amazed at the difference in low light. With a cheap scope you might have to pass a shot up because you can't see well enough to shoot. With my Zeiss Conquest we hunt at night for hogs and if there is any moonlight at all I don't even need a light. With a lot of the cheaper scopes I've looked at I would have to have a light to be able to shoot. If you can't afford a good scope right away you can always replace the cheaper one later.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

I think the most I've spent on a scope so far was just below 50% of the cost of the rifle: A Nikon ProStaff 4x32 on a Savage Mark II BV .22. I love both the scope and the rifle. I guess my 3-9 Conquest was right about that same %, given that I mounted it on a 700 CDL.

I personally don't subscribe to that rule of thumb. My eyes top-out at the VXIII/4200/Conquest level of glass. When comparing those models to ones that cost more, I can't really tell any difference. The pricier scopes may, indeed, be better: it's just that my eyes (the only ones that matter!) can't see the difference. So if I'm supposed to spend $1,500 on a scope, just because I wanted to buy a $750 rifle, I'll respectfully decline. Nor do I want to buy a $200 Stevens rifle just because I want to mount a $400 Conquest on it.

As I see it, the VXII/3200/BuckMaster/Viper glass is right on the heels of the VXIII/4200/Monarch/Conquest level of glass. My eyes can tell a difference, but it gets hard to justify the $ difference for the increasein image quality.

However, when I compare the VXII/3200/Buckmaster to the VX1/Legend/ProStaff, I can see a significant difference - to the point where it's quite easy to see spending the extra $$ to take that next step up. While the less expensive scopes will be perfectly serviceable, and admirably durable, one can buy much better picture quality for just a few more sheckels.

To my mind, about $100 will buy a serviceable, reasonably durable scope (Legend, Weaver T-series). $150 will buy a much brighter, clearer scope (ProStaff, 3200, Diamondback). $300 to $400 will get you a scope that's still brighter and even clearer, but not twice as much (Monarch, 4200, Conquest).

The real key is not to look at any nice scopes. Once you know that there's something better out there, it's easy to become less happy with what you've already got!

FC
Old 09-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Site Bouncer

It's hard to tell the difference in scopes while in the store. You can pick them up and look through them all day and you really won't learn a thing. Sure some will be slightly brighter and clearer but the REAL test of a scope is how it performs in the field. Now I'm not talking about taking the rifle out on a beautiful Saturday afternoon to shoot. I'm talking about cold temps foggy/ice mornings, blistering hot days, crawling through the brush. That scope must perform day in and day out in all kinds of weather on all different types of guns. It has to hold zero no matter how many times you touch off that .300win mag, 444 Marlin, 375 H&H Mag or even that .223. Parallax must hold true at the distance its set at no matter what the magnification isor hold true at any distance the adjustable ones are set to.

To be honest some of the brightest scopes you can look through in the shop are the lower end Bushnell scopes......but take them out and put them through their paces and they fail more often than not.

No I'm not saying you HAVE to go out an buy a Zeiss VM/Vor Swarovski PH or Kahles or any of the other "high line" scopes out there. It would be nice but this is the real world and that kind of money for a scope is not always readily available for John Q Hunter. You can however get a very good quality scope in a price range that won't break the bank in the Leupold, Nikon or Burris lines. They are hunter tested and will withstand the daily life of a hunting scope. These scopes can be purchased used for an additional savings, I see them at gun shows all the time. I've purchased many a rifle scope at gun shows and some of them are on my "go to" hunting rifles because I know they won't let me down at the worst possible moment, come rain or shine they will work.

Spend a little more money......you won't regret it!

That's my take on it.......
Old 09-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kinda like looking at other women after you get married???
Old 09-03-2008, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll take a little different approach. I love top end glass. I'd just as well wait and save for a year if necessary (to buy the good stuff) than go with a cheapie. HOWEVER, there are several, moderately priced scopes out there today that will suffice nicely for the majority of hunts. I've got a few. But, when push comes to shove, I always look at Swaro, Zeiss, S&B, and even Kahles first.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:55 PM

In my opinion it depends on what you are going to do with the scope and the type of scope you intend to get. For close up shooting or big game hunting you can get a decent scope in the one hundred and fifty dollar and up range. As long as you keep the power down and the features to a mininum. Now if you are talking long range hunting or target shooting and want a high powered scope with all the bells and whistles it will cost you. Don't think your going to get a high quality target or tactical scope for a couple of hundred dollars When they normally sell for 400-1000 dollars. It simply isn't going to happen.

I personally think Barska scopes are junk, but I have heard decent things about the more expensive tactical models. It should work, but don't expect the optics to be as good as a similar scope that cost twice as much. If you were looking to save money I would have suggested a Meuller over the Barska myself. I have owned both and the meullers are very nice scopes for the money.

Do you need to spend as much or more on the scope as you did the rifle, no, but you have to spend a reasonable amount of money to get the quality you need for your application. In most cases more money actually does buy you a better scope. They will have better optics and better quality control than the cheaper scopes with the same features.

Good luck.

Paul
Old 09-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

You guys have me looking around and I have been looking at this trijicon for my AR-15. The only thing that I am wondering about is if it will be very effective for coyote hunting.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

Its the Trijicon ACOG TA31TRD
Old 09-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

This is the scope that is currently on my rifle

Quick Reply: Your take on scopes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.