Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Handgun Questions >

Handgun Questions

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Handgun Questions

Old 01-21-2002, 05:34 PM

Default Handgun Questions

I have recently been in the market for a new handgun. Actually, I would like to start collecting and shooting modern arms. We are really into the Sigs, and H&K's. I would like to find some info that could help me know which caliber will be more accurate, etc. To tell you the truth, I am somewhat ignorant of the calibers, and the differences in them. I would really appreciate it, if someone could direct me to a website or somewhere where I can learn more about handgun ballistics, etc. Maybe even some pistol reviews. You know, the tech type thing? Thanks.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:45 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Handgun Questions

Well, start reading some mags like gun and ammo and etc. Go to the different sites for colt, kimber and springfield or HK. If you looking for accuracy, go with a long barreled revolver. There are alot of sites catering to the 1911 45 target shooting also if you like autos. I don't know any that are really good in particular, but went to google and typed 1911 45 target forums and got several sites that would look good.

Old 01-21-2002, 10:15 PM

Go to the store and buy a copy of American Hangunner. my favorite magazine.
Old 01-21-2002, 10:15 PM

i outta shot myself for this post

Edited by - propmahn on 01/21/2002 23:17:10
Old 01-21-2002, 10:16 PM

lets make that a double tap to the head

Edited by - propmahn on 01/21/2002 23:17:49
Old 01-22-2002, 04:44 AM

Perhaps a self-inflicted Mozambique drill?
Old 01-23-2002, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey!, handgun talk! COOL!

For hunting deer, I like my S+W 629 .44Mag revolver.
I got the 6" barrel since it doubles as a "bear defense" gun when I visit my uncle's place in the north woods of Wisconsin. He has a cabin in the middle of nowhere and it's a bit of a walk to the outhouse. It handles quicker than the longer barrels, and I don't lose too much velocity to be effective hunting.

If you want a handgun for defense, there are two schools of thought: Big/Slow bullets vs. Small/Fast. Both can be effective, but each has their strengths and flaws.
You will also have to decide between revolver and semi-auto. Also you have to select a type of action. Pick from single-action, traditional-double-action, or double-action-only.
Single-action has a nice clean, short trigger pull, but needs to be cocked before firing or kept "cocked and locked with the safety on.
Double-action is where the gun can be kept with the hammer down. When the trigger is pulled, the hammer is both cocked AND released. Semi-autos that have this action type cock the hammer every time after the first shot. You may also manually cock the hammer for your first shot if you are so inclined.
Double-action-only guns do not allow for the hammer to be cocked before a shot. The hammer is only cocked as part of the trigger stroke, giving you the same consistant pull every time. Striker-fired pistols, like Glock, Kahr, and a few others, are operated the same way as a double-action-only, but the internal mechanics is a bit different.

Good defence calibers for revolvers are .38special, .357mag, .41mag, .44 special. You can use .44mag too, but it tends to over-penetrate.
Don't go any smaller than a .38. It would take very good bullet placement to stop someone, and you never know when you would get a chance for a second shot.
If you like semi-autos, 9mm 115g can be OK if you load it very HOT.
The old .45 is hard to beat(230g loads unless you're shooting from a very short barrel, then go lighter like 165g). Glock makes a great 13-round .45 (model 21) which I highly recommend. Reliability is fantastic. It will eat anything you feed it and come back for more. although I have never owned a Sig, I hear their reliability is similiar.
A good fast round is the .357sig and a nice balanced in-between load is the .40. I Like it in 155g and it is a big favorite with law enforcement. Doesn't over-penetrate and will still go through windshields nicely.
The Border Partol uses the .40 155g, and they have done extensive testing and comparisons with others. Terminal ballistics is very important to them bacause they are on the top of the list when it comes to the raw number of officer-involved shootouts per year. They know what works and what doesn't.

The 9mm was much more popular before the hi-capacity gun ban, and before the FBI's Miami fiasco where multiple hits from 9mm failed to stop 2 criminals. The lack of effectiveness cost several agents their lives. The FBI has since switched calibers.
People who carry concealed weapons can be tempted to choose a .380 or a .25 because the guns are very small. These are considered pretty feeble rounds and are not recommended unless you REALLY have no way to conceal anything bigger. I would recommend a HOT loaded 9mm 115g before either of these. There are some nice 9's out there that are almost a small as a .380.

If you just want a fun plinking gun or a historic piece, I will turn this over to other members, but if you want to talk more about defense guns, e-mail me or we can talk more here. I have done a fair amount of research on defense calibers and handguns for them.

-Bulzeye

Keep 'em all in the Bull.
Old 01-23-2002, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Somehow in all that yapping, I forgot to mention a couple of very important things about defensive loads. ALWAYS use hollow-points. Several calibers, especially the 9mm lose their effectiveness if they don't expand. They just cruise right through. Although they will make a hole, they will be lacking the traumatic shock effect that is so valuable.

If anyone lives in a cold-weather climate, they should use the larger calibers. When people wear heavily insulated clothing, this can plug up the tip of hollow-points preventing them from expanding, so it's like shooting a regular hard-ball round. Without a hollow-point, a bigger hole is better than a small one.

Edited by - bulzeye on 01/28/2002 12:24:15
Old 01-23-2002, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

Bulzeye, what are your thoughts and opinions on the khar pistols? I like the p40 but i'm hesitant to lay out that kind of money for a pistol that I know little about. I've read articles on them and everything I've read is positive. I know that some things you read in the magazines you have to take with a grain of salt because they're trying to push product for a company. I would like to hear from people in the real world that aren't trying to push product.
Thanks.
Old 01-23-2002, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

CAM2,
The Kahrs have a nice trigger pull, very similar to the Glock. I don't own one, but I've shot them at the range.

The only drawback I'm aware of is inherent to any ultra-compact. You have to practice to shoot well with it.

The P40 you asked about is the polymer version of their .40 cal. It's a bit lighter than the K40, but just a little larger. The polymer P40 may exhibit slightly more muzzle flip when fired, but if you practice with it, that shoudln't be a problem.

Since Florida allows Concealed Carry, I'm assuming you want a very small gun to hide. These single stacks are nice and compact.
Personally, I like capacity. If you have a simlilar view, I would suggest the Glock 27. Also a .40, it holds 10 rounds, where the Kahr holds 6 or 7? (I forget) Get the magazine extention to keep your little finger on the pistol for more control.
One advantage of the G27 is that for spare ammo, you can carry the higher capacity full size mags from the full size guns (G22 and G23). You can even get a 29 round mag like I have.

The .40 is an excellent caliber and the slim Kahrs feel good to me. If you want light weight, go with the P40, If you want the smallest package, go with the K40.

Edited by - bulzeye on 01/23/2002 12:18:46

Quick Reply: Handgun Questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.