Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Accurate Shooting >

Accurate Shooting

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Accurate Shooting

Old 08-31-2008, 04:41 PM

Default Accurate Shooting

Here is some more great information for you guys on long range shooting. Most hunters and casual target shooter do not have this knowledge. Out shoot all of your friends using this basic instruction.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4497158_beco...tory-part.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_4497181_beco...tory-part.html
Old 08-31-2008, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Accurate Shooting

Good and simple, it's good advice. Thanks for posting.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:15 PM

Pretty basic and lame, just like the post about cleaning an AR that links to the same sight. There are plenty of other great sites with more detailed information out there.

And the most accurate way to shoot is not from the prone position. It is from a bench with a good rest.

Paul
Old 09-02-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote from the article: "This is beginner to intermediate level knowledge, and should be easy to understand for the casual shooter."

BEGINNER TO INTERMEDIATE, hence basic.
As for lame, that's a personal opinion so I won't comment on that.

It's amazing how these articles have had 100 percent great reviews on multiple gun and hunting sights, until now. Some people just love to hate.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:01 PM

It's not intermediate I know that for sure, that is about as basic info as you get. I have bought guns that came with better info in the manual.

Paul
Old 09-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

The guy just found what might be helpful info to some and wanted to share.Paul Mohr there is no reason tohammer onsomeone for that! If you think you know everything there is to know about shooting and reloading you will never better yourself. I have my doubt's any accomplished shooter will ever say he knows everything, no matter how trivial it may be.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:45 PM

I agree with Paul as it'spretty basic info, not much more than what little kids learn in Hunters' Ed,but then again........

I disagree that bench shooting ismore accurate than prone, my interpretation of what Paul wrote....and I'd say neither is more nor less, and about equal when properly done.

Some of the ABSOLUTE BEST riflemen on the planet are our own Military Snipers, and NONE of them carry a bench to their hide with them. A lesson there, for many a hunter......

98.9% of accurate shooting is done by the shooter, not the gear....though great gear don't never not help.

Train someone in proper target aquisition,grip/hold/cheekweld, muscle memory,breathing, trigger pull, and follow through...and you've won most of the battle in Riflemanship.

How many Average Joe's, the ones who onlyburntwo boxes of ammo the weekend before hunting season opens callin' "good 'nuff", the one's who post "what's the best gun" questions,the one's who source cheap gear and think theyhammered outa big stroke......how many of these charactershave even a fainthint of a clue that there is actually "follow through" with a rock solid prone or bench shot?!?

Follow through?

That's for shotgun shooting ain't it?

Laffin'.............

Edit for grammer, my cheek weld was a tad off when I fired this post...........
Old 09-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Having shot competition for several years in my youth including nationals, and even after shooting thousands of rounds a year, I am always looking to learn new 'tricks' that can help me shoot better.
I have to agree that good gear is a necessity. Notice I said good gear and not necessarily expensive gear. After that, is proper form, consistancy, and as RL said, follow through and plenty of practice. There is so much to learn about absolute accurate rifle shooting that to put it in a single post would be impossible.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:38 PM

I disagree that bench shooting is more accurate than prone, my interpretation of what Paul wrote....and I'd say neither is more nor less, and about equal when properly done.

Some of the ABSOLUTE BEST riflemen on the planet are our own Military Snipers, and NONE of them carry a bench to their hide with them. A lesson there, for many a hunter......
That is the key right there, they have way more training and much more practice than the average shooter. Without that training and practice it is easier to shoot off from a bench then it is from the prone position. And they train that way because that is how they have to shoot. Using a bench for a sniper isn't really practical. Does not mean they couldn't shoot better from a bench though. And I'm not sure the army snipers are actually the best shots. They can make some incredible long range shots under stressful conditions, and they normally have a spotter as well. I would be willing to bet some benchrest shooters can turn out some better groups because that is all they worry about. And yes I know some Army snipers and benchrest shooters.

I didn't really think I hammered on the guy either, just said it was really basic info. There is better info on shooting form if you look for it.

I'll be honest though I thought this was his other post about basic shooting. Outshoot Anyone

Sorry about the confusion, I posted in the wrong thread. This info wasn't bad, but is still pretty basic. He has very few posts and most of them are linking to this site. Almost like spam to an extent just makes me a little weary is all.

Paul
Old 09-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have to agree with paul on everything.
Whats the best way to shoot a rifle ? Put it on a vise, what the next best thing, put it on bags, front and rear, whats nextbest , prone position.
On a bench with bags you dont need to do anything but sqeeeeeeeeze da trigga. Any numb skull can do dat.

Quick Reply: Accurate Shooting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.