Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I need help Choosing a 22 mag rifle >

I need help Choosing a 22 mag rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I need help Choosing a 22 mag rifle

Old 03-14-2003, 05:31 AM

Default RE: I need help Choosing a 22 mag rifle

Cool.. This board is great.. I only thought I could get a marlin, now I have 4 options to check out.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Clearanceman,
I knew my gun was going to be used and used hard so I went with the stainless/synthetic stock combo. I prefer clips over tubes, and even though you have more choices now, my vote is still for the marlin. Good luck in your decision.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:15 AM
Typical Buck

clearanceman,

I bought my son a 25MN last year.....................it' s not a bad little gun. Dependable & shoots pretty well.

One question you need to ask yourself is why you want a .22WMR. The ammo for it is almost twice as expensive as a lot of the .22LR on the market. Personally, if you' re just wanting to plink & play, the LR would be a much cheaper choice. Plus, if distance isn' t a big factor for you, LR tends to be more accurate too.

Just a few thoughts.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:47 AM

Ryan, even over the Savage? Why or why not? Mark, I already have a heavily modified 10/22 LR.. match barrell, clark trigger, special stock. But no 22 mag in the stable.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

The trigger is good...when I compared the Marllin, Remington and Savage, they were all pretty comparable. Remington was better but also a couple hundred more. Like I said for the money I really liked the feel of the Savage over the Marlin (that goes for the stock, action & trigger). I have a Winchester 9422 in Wintuff that I absolutely LOVE, but I really haven' t picked it up since I bought my .22WMR. It really makes my .22 seem like a BB gun. Go check out the guns this weekend and let me know what you think. JDinAB
Old 03-14-2003, 09:13 AM

Thanks! The Remington is more then, huh? I wondered about that. I know ruger is more. Do you know if the basic model savage (93f) is drilled and tapped like yours is? I will probably get the one you have. That bull barrel looks like a good way to go. BTW, is the barrel on your gun shiny stainless or Matte stainless?
Old 03-14-2003, 09:20 AM

JD, I can' t even find if Remington makes a bolt action 22 mag. Looks like auto or pump. I would rather have a bolt action.
Old 03-14-2003, 10:00 AM

JD, Walmart has the Savage 93F for $149 plus tax. If it can take a scope that is probably the way to go. Clip mag like yours sythetic stock, blued barrel. No stainless and no bull barrel, but I don' t really care about the stainless I wanted the Synthetic stock more and it has that. The bull barrel would be nice but not for $40-$50 more..
Old 03-14-2003, 12:20 PM

JD, did you have any trouble with the mag release on the savage? Gun tests said it stuck down at a 45 degree angle and cut their hand twice when using the gun in the field.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:06 PM
Typical Buck

I gotta make sure I answer all of these one at a time:
the base model is not tapped as far as I can recall, but it does come with sights(mine is a bare barell).
It is more of a matte stainless (I' m at work so thats the best I can recall off the top of my head.)
Sorry, the Rem. is an autoloader (I was originally looking at that or a 10/22 but the price was just too high so that' s how I found the Savage)
No problems with the mag. release on my end. It' s not sharp so I' m not sure how they did that. It was a little stiff from the start (new out of the box) but it' s great now. I figured better to be stiff then loose and drop clips.
One word of advice....get 1 or 2 extra clips, their pretty cheap (now) and it' s always impossible getting one for a good price 10 years down the road, when you lose your one and only. Let me know how it goes. JDinAB

Quick Reply: I need help Choosing a 22 mag rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.