Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Weatherby Vanguard trigger pull >

Weatherby Vanguard trigger pull

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Weatherby Vanguard trigger pull

Old 08-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default Weatherby Vanguard trigger pull

I have the above mentioned rifle and I am very pleased except for trigger pull. It is heavy. I find this distracting. How do I lighten the trigger pull ? It is supposed to be adjustable.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Weatherby Vanguard trigger pull

jlsherr

i could not readily find the information for the trigger adjustment of the Vanguard/Howa trigger. Companies are being pretty hush about trigger adjustments because of liability...

Here are the steps for adjusting a Remington trigger which you might find is really close to what you need to do for the Howa..

http://www.quarterbore.com/library/articles/rem700trigger.html
Old 08-31-2008, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Howa trigger is a bear to adjust. Basically if you try to remove creep by turning the sear engagement screw(rear of the trigger housing) in the safety may stop working. The screw in the front of the trigger housing by turning the screw out will reduce trigger pull . I would take it to a Gunsmith that has worked on them before and Cheaper yet is to buy a Timney trigger. The factory trigger is removed with one phillip head screw. Replace it with the Timney and your almost set. The safety bar on the timney trigger protrudes a little more forward then the factory safety bar and will hit the inside of the trigger cut out in the stock. You can see it hittingby installing The Timney putting the barrelled action back in the stock..removing the bottom floorplate assembly and working the safety back and forth. WIth a dremel tool or file remove stock material until it no longer hits(there will be very little stock material removed fwiw).
Old 08-31-2008, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: jlsherr

I have the above mentioned rifle and I am very pleased except for trigger pull. It is heavy. I find this distracting. How do I lighten the trigger pull ? It is supposed to be adjustable.
I haveowned Weatherby's for a long time now. and as for the Vanguard trigger it is junk get a Timney Trigger
http://www.timneytriggers.com/sunshop/catalog/Weatherby-Vanguard-HOWA1500-18.html

But as for the rest of the gun the Vanguard is a great gun.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

Not all are that bad. I picked up my Vanguard this past spring. The trigger is crisp, clean, no creep, and probably right around 2.5 lbs.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I picked up my Vanguard this past spring. The trigger is crisp, clean, no creep, and probably right around 2.5 lbs.
I have never seen a new hunting rifle with a 2.5lb trigger.Are you guessing,or do you have a trigger pull guage?
Old 08-31-2008, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

If he found a trigger with a 2.5 lb. pull I bet there was a lawyer already holding the box!! I used to think my remington mountain rifle had a great trigger that I figured was about 4 lbs or so. Then my son started shooting and had a problem with it. It turned out to have a pull of almost 8 lbs before it was adjusted.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:50 AM
Fork Horn

I agree. If you really like the rifle, buy a Timney. My own Howa, which is my farm beater, had a terrible trigger. I disassembled the trigger (not for the inexperienced), and looked at the sear surfaces under magnification. They were very rough, with actual latitudinal striations. I used a dremel tool and polishing compound to smooth it as much as I could. It is better, but still not great.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

As usual, good info from oldelk. Go with the Timney.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:23 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe in 30-06. Yes, the factory trigger sucks, it's gritty, creepy, and doesn't get any better by trying to adjust it. You can have a smith work on it, but why do that when you can just order a Timney or Rifle Basix. I ordered a Timney and found you will have to smooth off a smidgeon of stock material where the tab will touch(see pic). The Timney also is a 3 position safety if you prefer that. The rifle basix trigger for the Vanguard just came out and has a 2 position safety and no tab. I never cared for the 3 position safety but I have gotten used to it now(Rifle Basix for the Vanguard wasn't available in 2006), and I adjusted it to a sweet crisp 2lbs(measured with digital gauge) that breaks like a skinny glass rod.

Quick Reply: Weatherby Vanguard trigger pull

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.