Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Sighting in a riflescope >

Sighting in a riflescope

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sighting in a riflescope

Old 08-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sighting in a riflescope

Thinkin' more like two........if only because the second shot is a confirmation that the scope tracked.
Unless you can put every bullet through the same hole,the only way to accurately verify a sight in is by firing a group after all adjustments are completed.

4 clicks on a 1/4 MOA scopeare supposed to equal one MOA, each click equaling 1.0473 inches at 100 yards.
But many scopes are calibrated in 1/4" increments,not 1/4 moa increments.

Rarely are the adjustments calibrated spot on that precise amount of movement.

No two scopes are identical in that regard..
Many high quality scopes are very close in calibration,especially scopes such as nightforce or US optics.In any case,many scopes are calibrated close enough that a person can't shoot accurate enough to prove them wrong.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:52 PM

Brain farted there Ridge, as the wolves were howlin' loud on the 2-way, today...it is end of month, afterall.

Replace "click" with what I meant, MOA,and you have it.....
Old 08-29-2008, 11:07 PM

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

Thinkin' more like two........if only because the second shot is a confirmation that the scope tracked.
Unless you can put every bullet through the same hole,the only way to accurately verify a sight in is by firing a group after all adjustments are completed.
If you reference my first response, things become clearer.....

Peep down the bore and match crosshairs to that picture.

Take a poke and reference POI.

Steer crosshairs from POA to POI and you'll be"in the bull".

Fire a shot to confirm tracking, and/or more adjustment.

The final test is always a group, but most folks already know that.

The above eliminates the waste of firing three or five shot groups just to getit "in the bull'....never was a fan of wasting ammo just to be stupid about it.

Personally my "sight in's" come via load work up and by the time I hit a load, I'm zero'd rightwhere I want to be.

Some things just ain't hard to do.........
Old 08-30-2008, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you reference my first response, things become clearer.....

Peep down the bore and match crosshairs to that picture.

Take a poke and reference POI.

Steer crosshairs from POA to POI and you'll be"in the bull".

Fire a shot to confirm tracking, and/or more adjustment.
Again,unless you can put every shot into the exact same hole,fine tuning the adjustment of a scope based on a single shot usually results in more adjustments being necessary.I have seen people waste many shots and complain about poor tracking because they based their scope adjustments on a single shot.A single shot can get you close,but it is not reliable for a final adjustment.As an example,making a 1/4" adjustment at 100 yards based on a single shot with a gun that is only capable of 1-1/2" groups at 100 yards,is not likely going to accurate.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:18 PM

Neat trick quoting half a post to make a lame point, but just remember the entire rest of the world can still read the whole thing.

Learned a long time ago that some things ain't worth fooling with...

Like scopes that don't/won't track, and rifles that shoot 1-1/2 inch groups......and wasting ammo to make a simple trip across a target board.

Love how some people yearn to complicate the simple.........
Old 08-30-2008, 11:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like scopes that don't/won't track, and rifles that shoot 1-1/2 inch groups.
The simple fact is that many scopes have some tracking problems,including the high priced Leupold target scopes.

http://www.shootingpaul.netfirms.com/ScopeTestingReport.htm

http://www.6mmbr.com/optics.html

If the high dollar Leupold target scopes do not track as they are supposed to,I certainly would not expect most lower priced hunting scopes to track precisely.

As far as 1-1/2" groups are concerned,that is pretty average in the world of hunting rifles.Only a very small percentage of hunting rifles average 1/2" or better,and making a 1/4" adjustment based on a single shot with even a rifle that is capable of 1/2" groups isn't very accurate.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:58 PM

The simple fact is I can't feel your pain, nor do I suffer your inability to cypher the written word plainly displayed on the monitor.

I routinely have turrets installed on low end leupolds, and know many others that do also, and have no tracking issues to fret, it's a non issue. And if it evers becomes one, a simple send off to the stellar Leupy warranty dept. would solve the problem. Twisting turrets is an integral part of my system and assuredly if tracking was an issue then I'd be the first to b!tch.

'Tis only a matter of addressing some average details to make an average hunting rifle shoot above average, and if that'stoo big a hurdle to overcome then there's no doubt you need multiple shots to move crosshairs........

In the interest of the topic....

If a bore sight gets you asinglehit 8inches of windage and 4 inches of elevation off center it's only a matter of twistingadjustments from POA to POI wilst gawking through the optic....that if done right,WILL get you in the bull with only one shot fired.

It's then easy enough to shoot "groups" andmake fine adjustments from there........
Old 08-31-2008, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

If a bore sight gets you asinglehit 8inches of windage and 4 inches of elevation off center it's only a matter of twistingadjustments from POA to POI wilst gawking through the optic....that if done right,WILL get you in the bull with only one shot fired.

It's then easy enough to shoot "groups" andmake fine adjustments from there..
And the gun is not "sighted in" until after the groups are fired and the fine tuning is complete.Therefore the gun is not "sighted in"with one or two shots.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:05 AM

You're pickin' nits dude....

If burnin' a box or two gettin' yourselfin the bull suits you then rock on, I'm sure there are millions that'll follow your teachings....

I'll not lose any sleep over it though.

Havecountless times, as a matter of SOP, done as I've described above and upon firing a group found it to be more than adequate with no further adjustments required.

Like I said, I can't feel the pain you insist is there............
Old 09-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

If burnin' a box or two gettin' yourselfin the bull suits you then rock on, I'm sure there are millions that'll follow your teachings....
I never posted that I shoot groups before making major adjustments.I will make a 6" or 8" adjustment to get close based on a single shot.However,once I am within an inch or so,I shoot a three shot group before making the final adjustments.In reality,my sight ins are usually complete within eight shots,one major adjustment based on one shot,one three shot group before making the final adjustment,and a three shot group to confirm that adjustment..However eight shots is a far cry from the one or two shot sight ins that you are posting about.

Like I said, I can't feel the pain you insist is there........
Obviously you have a reading comprehension problem,since I never posted anything about feeling any pain.

Quick Reply: Sighting in a riflescope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.