Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Slug guns...Hear the bullet hit? >

Slug guns...Hear the bullet hit?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Slug guns...Hear the bullet hit?

Old 08-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Slug guns...Hear the bullet hit?

I'll tell ya...after 20 years of slug hunting since I was a little guy I have witnessed this a ton. Even more frequent since I started taking deer out passed 150 yards with my H&R Ultra Slug.

How many of you guys/gals have witnessed the sound of bullet smack out of your slug guns...and not to mention...your rifles.???
Old 08-20-2008, 08:44 PM

Default RE: Slug guns...Hear the bullet hit?

How many have seen a vapor trail.........
Old 08-20-2008, 09:10 PM
Typical Buck

I've seen a trail once in 30 years god awful wet muggy should have been raining anhour ago kinda day with a 22-250 .

Hear it all the time with 2000 fps and less ammo shooting 100 plus .

The oddest gut wrenching sound though is marking 300+ yrd targets and hearing that ssssshhhhhhhhhhhh tack thump ................. bang!!!!
Old 08-21-2008, 03:43 PM

I have never heard the slug hit with a shotgun or muzzle loader because the bullet is still moving to fast at the ranges I hunt. I have heard it quite a bit with .22 rimfires though. And with good follow through I can see the bullet in my scope with target loads. Same thing with my bow, I can watch the arrow go all the way to the target.

Never seen a vapor trial from a bullet though.

Paul
Old 08-21-2008, 04:08 PM

I shoot my slug gun at 200 yards every time i shoot it. I dont hunt anything past 125 yards with it though. When im shooting 200 yards i have my sight picture back before i hear the wack of it hitting the target.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:31 PM

ORIGINAL: harter66
The oddest gut wrenching sound though is marking 300+ yrd targets and hearing that ssssshhhhhhhhhhhh tack thump ................. bang!!!!
X2
I hear ya. When pulling targets for a high power shoot, it's just weird hearing the bullets zinging above your head before the rifle report.

I have never heard a bullet hit the target when I am shooting. Probably because I wear ear protection!

I have never heard a bullet hit an animal while hunting. Probably because all of my shots have been less than 200 yards. Less than 100 yards is typical for me. I think the report will drown out any sound of a hit within 200 yards.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:39 PM
Typical Buck

I hear my .243 hit when shooting 100+ yards. 3300 fps

I take the underlined part back. Just shot a yote today at 40 yards with it and I heard the hit.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

With slugs, I've never heard it hit the target. One day of sighting one in I could hear the slug traveling through the 30" barrel though. Kind of a zippy, hollow sound. it was neat. Never heard it since.

But when I was sighting in my 30-30 on a humid day a few weeks ago I could hear the bullet hit my paper plate target. I never knew that thing shot so slow. Boom!...thawack.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:57 AM

There is no way you heard the target impact from a centerfire at 100 yards let alone 40 yards. I don't know what you thought you heard, but it was not the bullet hitting the target. At those distances the bullet is still traveling 3 times to twice the speed of sound. The bullet is in the target before you are done hearing the muzzle blast of the gun.

I highly doubt you can hear the bullet moving down the barrel of a slug gun either.

Paul
Old 08-24-2008, 02:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

There is no way you heard the target impact from a centerfire at 100 yards let alone 40 yards. I don't know what you thought you heard, but it was not the bullet hitting the target. At those distances the bullet is still traveling 3 times to twice the speed of sound. The bullet is in the target before you are done hearing the muzzle blast of the gun.

I highly doubt you can hear the bullet moving down the barrel of a slug gun either.

Paul
I used to have a pair of the elecrtonic ear protectors and they would block outt eh report of the rifle but sometimes on very rare occasion i would hear some weird zippy sounds like he just described. As for hearing the bullet hit from a centerfire at 100 yards i would belive it from something slow like a 45-70 but not anything with speed to it.

Quick Reply: Slug guns...Hear the bullet hit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.