Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 scope question? >

scope question?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

scope question?

Old 08-20-2008, 11:14 AM

Default scope question?

Ok my dad has bought all my scopes to the date (im 20) the guns i've been using to hunt with the scopes was bought before i was old enough to work. But i was out looking at scopes for my new gun and seen a bushnell 4-12x40 with a deal u turn at the end of the scope that had like 50,100 and so on yards on it. how do u use that and was is it for.The scopes i used was plain 3-9x40 without that peoples told me its for shooting long distance do u leave it on 50 to sight your gun in? anyinfo will help ROD
Old 08-20-2008, 01:13 PM

Default RE: scope question?

Paralax Adjustment...

Generically thought of as a "focus" for certain yardages.

Paralax hits you hardest with variable power scopes and a quick way to test if a scope is paralax free is to look through it at a targetand then move your head just a little side to side, andup and down. If thecrosshairs move on the target more than just a little bitfrom you moving your head that way then your scope is not paralax free.

The Adjustable Objective is supposed to compensate for that in a variable power scope...

Use it as intended and set it on the yardage that your target is at...........
Old 08-20-2008, 02:25 PM

It works the same on a higher powered fixed power scope as well, you just see it more often on variables because they are so popular now. Mostly used for target shooters and varmint hunters that need precise accuracy at moderate to long ranges with high powered optics.

They don't really work that well for big game hunting but you can get away with it.

Paul
Old 08-20-2008, 08:39 PM

I just took in tradea wonderful 4x12 Leupold VXII, matte, with LR reticle and adjustable objective.

A really nice, 460ish dollar,well tracking, crystal clear offering of Leupy Glass......

Also took in a basic VXII 3x9, so I offed my ele turret'dVXI 3x9 to my kid for his .243, and mounted the 4x12 on my '06, JFSAG's.....mostly.

Sure it's a beautiful scope, but I can't stand it for shooting, the eye relief changes too much through the power range, and the AO is just too much stuff to fiddle with....

The other 3x9 will go out for M1 turrets and the 4x12 will hit the auction block.

9x is about as far as I need/want to go anyway on a hunting rifle, and I'll leave the AO's for the Fiddle Masters..........
Old 08-21-2008, 03:59 PM

I agree completely and usually tell people that when they ask me what scope I think they should get. For most big game hunting you simply don't need that much scope. Spend the money on quality optics, not more magnification and fancy gizmo's. Unless your shooting long ranges out west or something. Most don't shoot deer and other large game animals much farther than 100-200 yards, and usually it's closer than that, especially in the mid west. 2-7X is plenty most of the time. And its usually brighter, more compact and more affordable. you can get a really nice 2-7x hunting scope in the 200 dollar range. If you can afford more, then go for it.

3-9x40 is normally your most common though and more than enough for most hunting. I have never actually turned a scope up that high in an actual hunting situation.

Like I said, high powered big belled adjustable scopes are nice for target shooting or varmint hunting where you have the time to fiddle with it and take careful aim. However if you think your going to get a good high powered scope with an adjustable objective for a couple of hundred bucks it probably ain't going to happen. You might get one that works, but I assure you a similar priced scope with less power and less features will look much better and be more simple to operate in the field. The money they didn't spend on "cool" features went into better glass and quality control.

And I will simply not buy a scope without looking through it first. There are some great deals on the internet, but I just can't bring myself to buy something like that without handling it first. That is a personal thing though.

Paul
Old 08-21-2008, 08:58 PM

I'm not trying to brag Paul, just looking to reinforce my point about lower powered, simpler designscopes....and of course agree with you.

The one on this .243 Ackley is a 2X7 VXI, which I sent out to Oregon for M1 turrets. I paid new money for it off the shelf at a local shop, $189. The turrets cost me something like $165, IIRC, and are only on there because I like turrets on everything.

Now the chuck was lasered at 320 yards and I only had his head to look at because the grass was hiding the rest of him. Every now and then he'd stand up and I'd see his noggin.

I'm not saying I can see a groundhogsear hole at 320 yards but with the scope set at 7X, which is where I leave it all the time anyway, I could see what position he was facing and I know where the ear hole is on a groundhogs head. That's where I pasted the crosshairs when the trigger broke. You can see the results.

This is my Mostly Deer/Coyote Rifle that I just finished building......

My point is all that fancy gizmo stuff is largely not needed, except turrets of course...grins.

Should add that this was with fireforming loads too........

Old 08-22-2008, 09:36 AM

Yep, if you know what you are doing and know your rifle, if you can see it, you can hit it. And the only thing parallax correction does is make up for poor form. If you align yourself perfectly with the scope for every shot you really don't need it. Especially on game where you have may have inches of error built into the shot. They are nice for target shooting though where you need absolute precision.

I tend to use AO scopes if I get more power, just because I like them, sort of like your turrets. And I really like mildot reticles. I'm sort of the opposite of you I guess. I would rather hold over than dial it into the scope. Don't know why to be honest. Once I get my scope sighted in I prefer to just not touch it again. Probably comes from using really cheap scopes when I was younger.

Nice shot by the way.

Paul