Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ok, got the model of gun now which caliber? >

Ok, got the model of gun now which caliber?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ok, got the model of gun now which caliber?

Old 03-09-2003, 07:30 PM

Default Ok, got the model of gun now which caliber?

Thanks for all the replies to my previous message! (Sako, Sauer, or Weatherby?) Now for the next one. What caliber??? I have been thinking about .300 WBY Mag. Is it too much for whitetail? I am going to be hunting everything from antelope to elk. I have heard the ballistics for this caliber are great and it is a straight shooter. Thanks again everyone!
Old 03-09-2003, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ok, got the model of gun now which caliber?

I would stick to the 300 win mag. For all practical purposes it is the equal of the 300 wby mag and has a much broader range or available ammo and guns. I would stay away from the weatherby guns also. I have heard too many people complaining about them lately. All of the belted magnums are going to be over kill for whitetails but dead is dead so thats not really a concern. THe 300 win mag is available most everywhere and is a very versitile round. I think it would serve you well.
Old 03-09-2003, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

A .300 Wby Mag is quite a bit of gun. Even for elk. If you don' t mind getting knocked into the next county every time you squeeze the trigger, go for it.

I think a .280 Rem or a .270 Win would better suit your needs.
Old 03-09-2003, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you really want a 300mag with more power than the 300win mag skip the weatherby and go directly to the 300ultramag.I have owned a 300wby and currently own two 300ultramags.The ultramag produces over 100fps more than the wby and brass and components are reasonably priced and easy to get.The ultramag is also chambered in several different rifles so you should be able to get one in a rifle that suits you.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would gp with the 300 Wby. Mag. it' s Weatherby' s most popular caliber, and you will be able to find ammo for it almost anywhere. There are 22 different types of factory loads to choose from. A-Square, Federal, Hornady, Remington, Speer, and Weatherby all make ammo for the 300 Wby. Mag. The bullet choice range from 150 gr. to 220 gr. from A-Square, Sierra, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, Nosler Partition, Nosler Ballistic Tip, Hornady Interlock, Hornady Round Nose Expanding Remington PSP Core-Lokt, Remington PSP Boat-tail, Speer Grand Slam, and Barnes X.

You will have enough power to take any animal in North America as long as you choose the right bullet, and do your part. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

you might look at the 7MM mags as well
Old 03-09-2003, 10:15 PM
Typical Buck

A .270 WSM or a 7mm Rem SAUM would be real nice.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

While you can' t kill ' em " too dead," there is really no " need" of a magnum caliber, unless you are hunting something that bites back like big bears! At any rate, I agree with those who say stay away from the Weatherby' s. A .300 Win. mag. will do all you want and more!
Old 03-10-2003, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a .300 Weatherby and it might be a little too much for deer, it' s a great choice for elk! Like the gent' s said " DEAD IS DEAD" ...
Old 03-10-2003, 04:07 PM

I' d go with the 300 ultra mag

Quick Reply: Ok, got the model of gun now which caliber?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.