Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 20 Gauge or 410 For Young Boy >

20 Gauge or 410 For Young Boy

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

20 Gauge or 410 For Young Boy

Old 08-11-2008, 10:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default 20 Gauge or 410 For Young Boy

I recently bought a 870 Remington Wingmaster in a 20 gauge for squirrel hunting and let my 7 year old son hold it and see ifhe could shoot it but its just to big for him at this time.So now I realized that I need to get him a youth shotgun with a shorter pull and am tossed between a 410 or a 20 gauge.He will soon be 8 years old and I know a 20 will kill squirrels good but what does everyone think a 410 will do with 3 inch shells shooting up a tree at squirrels.My little boy is a tough little rascal but I dont want to get him shy from a gun with to much recoil as this will be his second year of going with me hunting as last year he took his BB gun.I am looking at Mossberg 500 Bantam youth and also Remington 870 or Charles Daly.I will definitely
get a pump for him but would like to know what kind of success has everyone had shooting a 410 at squirrels with the 3 inch shells.I want him to enjoy shooting it and not be scared but also need it to kill squirrels to.I want to get him a 20 but just not sure that is wise right now!Thanks For any advice.
Mike
Old 08-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 20 Gauge or 410 For Young Boy

Standard 20 gauge shells are the perfect balance especially with the newer recoil pads out there now. WHile the 410 seems nice in theory, the problem with it is the skill level neccesary to hit anything. You want the child to be able to have a bit of success and thats much easierwith a 20 gauge. With a 410he is going to miss quite a bit and higher success rates mean more enjoyment and a greater chance he will stay with it.Also, the 20 gauge can be used for everything from pheasant and turkeys and ducks to deer with the loads now available which hopefully the child will want to do as he getsmore experience, while I consider the 410 a specialized load, that is at most a squirrel gun and probably at its best as a real niche toy for shooting clay birds.As a hunting gun it just doesn'tcut it except for the most skilled shooters and certainly not a young child. Also the typesof ammo and availablity for the 20 gauge is lightyears aheadofthe 410. Take care and good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Typical Buck

ditto what he said. although a youth model NEF 410 is a cheap lil starter gun. if he can aim at still targets the 410 will do. moving targets no way.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:45 AM
Fork Horn

I'd actually recommend getting a 410 and putting some rifle sights on the gun. Go practice at the range with the rifle sights and you will be amazed at the improvement in accuracy.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:40 AM

Bought a H&R youth model 20 gauge for my kids at 8 or 9 years old. Kicked like a mule even with the big recoil pad it wore.I even remove the forceing cone and put in choke tubes still hit the kids hard. They ended up doing better with my old 311 SXS 20, loved it. Shows that fit is important. I think in a single shot, 28 gauge for starters, pump, 20 gaugeis better providing it fits.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:59 AM

My dad bought me a charles daly 20 gauge synthetic stockwhen i was 15 and i loved it still have it and used it for turkey,dove,squirrel hunting anything else i need it foreven with 3 in turkey loads itdon't kick to bad.The price is cheap and good gun the only problem i had is whenfirst got it the action broke and isent it back and they fixed it and shot shells through it to make sure it wouldn't break again besides that no problem and thats been 5 years ago.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get him the 20 ga. 410 can be hard to find at times and cost more. I was shooting a 20 at 8 years old and it was fine. It won't be long and he'll be plenty big for a 12 ga. Get a Mossberg 500 or an 870 so you can later replace the youth stock with an adult stock.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

For a 7yo, I'm with Outdoorsmen above. It's hard to beat a H&R/NEF Topper 410 Junior as a starter for squirrel. (or the Pardner/Pardner Compact) They can be found for about $120 for the basic and about $160 with a nice checkered walnut stock. I think it's a pretty good squirrel/rabbit gun for anyone. I have a Pardner in 20 ga that I bought as a college Freshman about 30 years ago for $42 at K-Mart. Still have it and my son started with it pheasant hunting until we got him an 870 combo. I've loaned that gun out to many a dad to get their sons/daughters started.

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotg...rdnerYouth.asp
Old 08-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going to ask you to please do not do what my father did to me when I started to hunt. He bought me a 22/410 O/U Savage. It was probably one of the worst guns you can give a kid to start with. The .410 is nearly worthless for a young guy starting out. As mentioned before, it's best used in the hands of experienced shooters, not by someone just beginning. I remember taking at least three shots to bring down a squirrel in a big oak tree. If I'd been using a 20 ga., only one shot would have done it. It only throws a minimum amount of shot, and when you are a young, jumpy kid, that's a big handicap.
I would buy him a 20 ga. pump that he can handle. I personally don't like any of the single shots out there on the market today for youth shooters. Most of them produce way too much recoil for a little guy. JMO....
Old 08-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well .... Here goes, and I hope this makes some sense.

I started with a .410 bolt action, 3 shot Mossberg with a "Poly-Choke" that Santa Claus gave me for Christmas. I was just over 8 years old. Yep - I'm old enough to have used paper shells and the "poly-choke" ! I had a blast with this shot gun, bagging countless squirrels, rabbits, a few ducks and more nutria than my mom ever wanted me to bring home. Having said that, I'd go to the 20 ga. the 20 ga. is just more versatile.

The key, in my opinion, is to find a good fit. A kid all stretched out, because the length of pull is 2-3-4+ inches too long or the weight way forward distributed or both, will not have a fun time shooting. Also remember, the lighter the weight of the shot gun the more energy your son will have to absorb. It's a Newtonian Physics thing !!

Quick Reply: 20 Gauge or 410 For Young Boy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.