Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

left hand ?

Old 08-11-2008, 06:02 PM

Default left hand ?

i'm not actually a lefty but i shoot long guns left handed because of my eye dominance. I need to get a rifle for deer season and i'd like to get a bolt action gun. I really don't want to buy a left handed gun and wanted to know if their is any problem with shooting a right bolt gun with the left hand? any sight issues? thanks
Old 08-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: left hand ?

There is no problem using a right handed bolt shooting left handed. In fact that is the way most of us older lefties usually did it. Its amazing how fast you can work a right handed bolt with a little practice.
But why would you not want a lefty bolt? Today isn't like it used to be. The only choice you had when I started was either Savage or Remington and either .270 or 30-06. Unless you had money, then you could also get a Weatherby Mark V.
Nowadays there are so many more choices for the lefty in both long and short actions. Personally, I like the accuracy of the Savages and the Brownings. The Browning Micro Hunter is a dandy rifle for carrying all day. I have one in 7-08 and one in 325WSM. I also have an older (much older) Rem 700 in 270. And I have several Savages in various chamberings and configurations. I only have one right handed bolt and that is an old Rem 700 in 30-06.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Before you buy a right handed rifle take a look to make sure that the stock is not made for a right hander. If it is you will have sighting issues, and the rifle will feel like it recoils more.
Speaking as a lefty though, why would you want to shoot a right handed rifle? Embrace the left handedness.LOL.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have no idea why I built this rifle. But I believe it is exactly what you are talking about. Tom.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you shoot a rifle that is the same "handed" as you are you can keep your support arm /hand on the forearm and keep the gun pulledtight into your shoulder and keep a sight picture while working the bolt with your trigger handif you should need a second shot.

If you shoot a right handed riflefrom your left shoulderyou will have to eitherremove yoursupport arm / hand fromthe forearmto cycle the boltthus causing you to lower yourrifle due toyou trying to hold the rifles weight at the gripwhich will causeyou to loose your sight picture..................or reach over therifle and cycle the bolt with your left hand which will also cause you to loose your sight picture because your arm is between your eyes and the scope.

Like bronko said, it certainly can be done but why would you want to go through the trouble when you can just buy a left handed rifle?
Old 08-11-2008, 11:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ryharris1983

i'm not actually a lefty but i shoot long guns left handed because of my eye dominance. I need to get a rifle for deer season and i'd like to get a bolt action gun. I really don't want to buy a left handed gun and wanted to know if their is any problem with shooting a right bolt gun with the left hand? any sight issues? thanks
I feel your pain. I too am left eye dominant and shoot righty firearms. It doesn't matter if the firearm is lefty or righty. The only issue it if it is semi-auto, where you might get biffed by an ejecting shell.

The only thing that really should go along with eye dominance, is a compound bow. I shot a friends' righty compound bow lefty, and we still have no idea where his arrow went! [:-]

So, if you look at my signature, I have a lefty Reflex Highlander bow, but my Remington 870 12GA and my two rifles and handgun are righty.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

The only thing that really should go along with eye dominance, is a compound bow.
I have to agree with this.

I don't see why you would need to shoot left handed through a scoped rifleany way, even if you are left eye dominant. You would be closing your left eye so it wouldn't matter which one is dominant.

The only guns I could see you needing toshoot left handed would be those that you would shoot with both eyes open and your left eye would take over the sight picture.Such as dove hunting with a shotgun.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

The only thing that really should go along with eye dominance, is a compound bow.
I have to agree with this.

I don't see why you would need to shoot left handed through a scoped rifleany way, even if you are left eye dominant. You would be closing your left eye so it wouldn't matter which one is dominant.

The only guns I could see you needing toshoot left handed would be those that you would shoot with both eyes open and your left eye would take over the sight picture.Such as dove hunting with a shotgun.
I can't close my left eye or wink. I can with my right eye though. If I try to shoot righty with both eyes open, my left eye still tries to take over the sight picture.

Maybe I'm just an oddball.... [&o]

Edit: What I mean is that I am left eye dominant and shoot left handed, even though my firearms are righty. To me, it doesn't matter...

Old 08-12-2008, 06:27 AM

You are not an oddball, I have the same issues. I have shot right handed bolt guns my whole life. Only owned one lefty Rem 700 in 06 that ended up with a left handed buddy of mine for boocoo denaro. Not really too worried about quick follow up shots as the first is the one that counts. If I was buying a new rifle now, a lefty Savage would be my choice though.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually if you go to a shooting coach they will determine which eye is dominant and have you shoot from that side. I'm left handed but shoot right handed though I can shoot with either hand. When I do shoot left handed I just shoot a right handed rifle. As far as taking longer to cycle for a second shot I have never had any problems when I shot left handed.

Quick Reply: left hand ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.