Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

left hand ?

Old 08-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: left hand ?

I started with a right handed rifle when I was a kid. It was all off a bench so the sand bags were holding up the front. I used my right hand to cycle the bolt. Got really fast with that old 22. Now I am buying left handed. Got to love Savage.

Butch, you are not an oddball. Well you may be, but not on this topic. LOL I am the same way.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

[/align]
don't see why you would need to shoot left handed through a scoped rifleany way, even if you are left eye dominant. You would be closing your left eye so it wouldn't matter which one is dominant.
[/align][/align]Sorry i dont understand- how could someone( and why?)close the eye they where shooting with -in this case the left eye & still shoot?im not undestanding that( could be my brain delusexia?)[/align][/align]
[/align]
Maybe I'm just an oddball.... [&o]

Edit: What I mean is that I am left eye dominant and shoot left handed, even though my firearms are righty. To me, it doesn't matter...
nahh- but me myself i never claimed to be tonormal or not odd( Ya can only wink with one eye ?)[/align][/align][/align]I am right handed, but shoot left handed ( i shoot right handed rifles -left handed because theres a lot more of them( right handed rifles)out there & thats what i ended up with in bolt actions& thats how i been doing it for awhile now,- i shoot pistols etc right handed with my left eye)because of eye problems- im my case anyways i dont think its much of a a choice i dont think maybe.[/align][/align]Ii (cant see tomuch with theone eye in some ways -to even try shooting with it- the other eye has to be "it" the one.[/align][/align][/align](i think i may have this( below)- plus havesome other problems from injurys, in/to my right eye)( and getting older isnot helping things- my eyesmuch either)[/align][/align][/align]

Amblyopia
Classification and external resources

ICD-10

ICD-9

DiseasesDB

MedlinePlus

eMedicine

MeSH

Amblyopia, otherwise known as lazy eye,[1] is a disorder of the visual system that is characterized by poor or indistinct vision in an eye that is otherwise physically normal, or out of proportion to associated structural abnormalities. It has been estimated to affect 1–5% of the population.[2]
The problem is caused by either no transmission or poor transmission of the visual image to the brain for a sustained period of dysfunction or during early childhood. Amblyopia normally only affects one eye, but it is possible to be amblyopic in both eyes if both are similarly deprived of a good, clear visual image. Detecting the condition in early childhood increases the chance of successful treatment.
While the colloquialism "lazy eye" is frequently used to refer to amblyopia, the term is inaccurate because there is no "laziness" of either the eye or the amblyope involved in the condition.

//

Physiology
Amblyopia is a developmental problem in the brain, not an organic problem in the eye

Symptoms
Many people with amblyopia, especially those who are only mildly so, are not even aware they have the condition until tested at older ages, since the vision in their stronger eye is normal. However, people who have severe amblyopia may experience associated visual disorders, most notably poor depth perception. Amblyopes may suffer from poor spatial acuity, low sensitivity to contrast and some "higher-level" deficits to vision such as reduced sensitivity to motion.[5] These deficits are usually specific to the amblyopic eye, not the unaffected "fellow" eye. Amblyopes also suffer from problems of binocular vision such as limited stereoscopic depth perception and usually have difficulty seeing the three-dimensional images in hidden stereoscopic displays such as autostereograms.

[/align]
Old 08-13-2008, 01:07 PM

thanks for the help fella's, I really wasn't aware that alot of companys were making left hand rifles now. I assumed if they did they were more expensive. I guess a lever gun would be a good way to go also. What about those savage bolt guns, worth it or not? Also what about resale on a left hand rifle?
Old 08-13-2008, 04:45 PM

I am right handed and left-eye dominant. I shoot RH bows, using RH form, I just close my left eye and shoot. And I do just fine like that.

Firearms on the other hand, I shoot LH. I have yet to buy a true LH weapon, I have just been limiting myself to singleshots, levers, and semi-autos with easily accessible controls. I find Mossberg shotguns with their ambidextrious thumb safeties to be real nice also.

But if/when I'm in the maket for a bolt action(IL is a shotgun only deer state anyway) I'm going to make sure it's a lefthanded model. I know for sure that Savage has many options.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Savage is definitely worth it. As far as resale goes I could not tell you....I have never sold one of my rifles.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Typical Buck

My .02 . In my hunting time to here through 10 or 12 "buddies" only 3 were righties when shooting anld only 2 were left handed that said 1 of the lefties shots righthanded (kids!). Didn't anybody see Private Ryan . Cross dominance is a non-issue in speed and you can as I learned to "3 finger" the bolt exactly like the PR sniper . Only a cock on closing Mauser ever caused me not to use that method .Sadly my left eye is failing me and ( I haven't ever winked my right eye without my left closing too )I have been forced to learn to shoot right handed ( now that I have a closet full of left hand guns ). I now shoot both eyes open scopes ribs peeps irons and my dads recurve . Peeps are the hardest by far and shot guns the easiest . I shot left handed for over 30 years the last 8 have been a struggle . Snap shots still find the left shoulder .
Old 08-14-2008, 01:23 PM

I am a lefty who shoots a RH bolt gun. I own a Savage Model 111 in 30-06 / Stevens 200 22-250 / Rem 300 Ultra Mag.
All right handed bolts and I have no issue with these. I have been doing it for so long it feels natural to me and I think it would take a long time to get used to shooting a LH gun now.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

There is one problem shooting a 'wrong-handed' rifle. The gas ports that allow the gasses from a pierced primer exit on your 'face side'. Not a problem often but when it is, it can be serious.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Right handed but left eye dominant myself. I now only shoot left bolt guns because of feel, function (safe (in some models - ie Remingtons) and safety gas port/shell ejection...

I shoot with both eyes open. As well have a hardtime closing my left eye completely. I can shoot righthanded if i wear an eye patch but off hand not so well, after years of shooting southpaw.

On the other hand if your not use to shooting a left bolt it may not cause any issues. My partner is an example of this never owned a left bolt and does very well.

You'll have to deciede which is best for you. IMO choosing a semi, lever, pump or single shot in lieu of a bolt just because your left handed isn't the way to come to this desicion. If you want a bolt buy a bolt and chose which side the throw is ion based purely on your wants & feels.

Good Luck!!
Old 08-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Spike

I have the same eye problem. After owning a right hand bolt rifle, I handled a lefty @ gun store and it felt so much better working a lefty bolt. I just picked up a Remington 700 XCR in left hand and I love the way it feels. Having scope base issues so I have not fired it yet.

Quick Reply: left hand ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.