Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.270 win

Old 08-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Spike

Default .270 win

Ijust bought a new Savage 114 .270 Win and was wondering what the best ammo would be for deer in Oklahoma. I have never hunted in Oklahoma so i do not really know what size would be the best to get or where a good place to start would be.

grain size?
brand?
anything else?
Old 08-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .270 win

Its hard to say what is best because each gun has its own personality and like its own type of ammo. Most 270's though like the 130 gr. bulets. Any bullet from soft tip to bonded will kill a deer no problem. Go out buy a couple boxes of the cheap stuff like Remington cor-lokts, Winchester PowerPoints, or Federal Blue box and see if they group well if they do you're set if they don't work your way up.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

Its hard to say what is best because each gun has its own personality and like its own type of ammo. Most 270's though like the 130 gr. bulets. Any bullet from soft tip to bonded will kill a deer no problem. Go out buy a couple boxes of the cheap stuff like Remington cor-lokts, Winchester PowerPoints, or Federal Blue box and see if they group well if they do you're set if they don't work your way up.
That's the best advice that you will receive. I have not seen many 270s that wouldn't shoot the 130gr CoreLokts well. You can't force it though. Let the rifle tell you what it likes.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

my .270 loves 130gr federals, just their cheap standard load, blue box last time I bought em.

powershoks maybe?