Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Please Check out my New Gun >

Please Check out my New Gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Please Check out my New Gun

Old 03-06-2003, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Please Check out my New Gun

This is my first actual new gun I' ve ever bought. I put a lot of money and time into this guy. It' s a Rem 700 VLS .308 topped with a Burris Black Diamond Scope with Ballistic Mill-Dot reticle(6-24 power). It' s supported by a Harris pivot bipod. I turned down, and smoothed out the trigger myself, and free-floated the barrel. I' m in the process of loading up my own cartridges. Was able to get some good deals and spent around a grand on the new-setup so far. Hopefully the next nice weather day I have off work, I can go out and do some shooting. Hopefully get into some long-range fun.

Old 03-06-2003, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Please Check out my New Gun

Nice groundhog gun. I just bought a new one myself and am still peaking and tweaking. I went with an Elite 3200 5x15x50 on top. I' m at just under a grand.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

Nice looking rig! Did you decide to free float before you shot it? I personally would have shot it first (you might have found it liked a little pressure and you could have saved a little work). Let us know how it shoots, should be a shooter! What ranges are you using it for? That' s a whole lotta scope for deer, I' m assuming you' re going to use it for long range paper punching. On the trigger job, I hope you had some expert guidance at least, and maybe a little supervision. I' m sure you did a fine job, I just get nervous when people start doing there own trigger work. Otherwise, have fun and post some groups.

Gordon
Old 03-06-2003, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' m going to use it mainly for target shooting. I might use it when I' m sitting in a stand for deer, but that' s probably all the hunting I' m going to do with it. I had another guy show me what to do on the trigger, and I read up on the particular trigger a lot before I did it, so know the differences between this one and other ones I' ve messed with. Will let you all know how it shoots, using different loads, trying to find the best for the gun.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck with your rifle!!
Old 03-06-2003, 10:16 PM

I love having a sun shade on the front of a scope, like you have. It makes the entire settup look extra good.
Let us know if it' s a " shooter" . Maybe even show a picture of you target.
Good luck. Have fun with your rifle.

critch
Old 03-07-2003, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very impressive. I like your set up. Good luck.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice indeed! Keep us informed as to how it shoots. I' m looking at buying a new toy myself in 22-250 caliber and i' m torn between the Rem 700 VLS & the Rem 700 VS.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

NICE...
Old 03-07-2003, 09:20 AM

Nice set up. It is always more satisfying to do the work yourself.
Try out some Nosler Ballistic tips and Sierra boattails or Sierra match bullets.
If it is going to shoot it will probably like one of those.
Have fun shooting!

Quick Reply: Please Check out my New Gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.