Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 28" vs 26" in a slug barrel >

28" vs 26" in a slug barrel

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

28" vs 26" in a slug barrel

Old 07-17-2008, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default 28" vs 26" in a slug barrel

I am wanting to get a 20 gauge slug barrel for my Encore and the 2 options are the 28" Pro hunter and the 26" standard Encore barrel. As far as performance, can anyone shed some light on which should perform better?
Old 07-17-2008, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 28" vs 26" in a slug barrel

The 28'' would provide a little more velocity, would it make a difference, probably not much.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with thnderchiken....
Old 07-17-2008, 08:08 PM

You need to understand that TC barrels are measured for their overall length. So the 20Ga Pro Hunter barrels are 28" long but you have subtract 3" for the chamber. That gives you about 25" of rifling. Would the 2" more length make a big difference? Probably not but I think the Pro Hunter barrels look better. That's why I have the 20Ga Pro Hunter slug barrel. You will pay around $270 for a 26" blued standard 20ga slug barrel and around $310 for a 28" SS Pro Hunter 20ga slug barrel.

Also, Pro Hunter barrels will fit standard Encore receivers and standard barrels will fit the Pro Hunter receiver. Go for the 28" SS Pro Hunter.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

everything I've ever read about slug barrels, from shotguns....12ga mainly is that you only need 21"

I assume 12 or 20 ga the barrel is so large in diameter that it quickly gains its speed, and burns all that powder well before 26 or 28"

I was curious about a 24" vs 21" vs 26" and if anything over 21 or 24" there is a strong liklihood that a longer barrel will only slow your slug down, may increase accuracy, but velocity no, I wouldn't go over 26", and probably 24" if available.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

You need to understand that TC barrels are measured for their overall length. So the 20Ga Pro Hunter barrels are 28" long but you have subtract 3" for the chamber.
That's the way all barrels are measured regardless if they are shotgun, rimfire, centerfire, bolt action, single shot, over under, etc...

A longer 28 vs. 26 inch barrel in a shotgun isn't going to add any velocity at all. In fact, a shotgun will burnall of its powder in less than 24 inches.

For a slug gun I would take the shortest barrel possible for the encore. A shorter barrel is more stiff than a longer barrel and as suchis a safer betto be the more accurate barrel.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:21 PM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls
That's the way all barrels are measured regardless if they are shotgun, rimfire, centerfire, bolt action, single shot, over under, etc...
Da'gum. I never really thought about that. It was just easier to notice with the Encore barrels because it's all right there in front of me. Don't have to look down the receiver of a bolt action and measure all that. Thanks bigbulls.

After some research on this subject, I have found a couple of articles that suggest using a slug barrel between 18-21 inches in length. They state that modern powders are burned by then, the rifling has imparted spin on the sabot and any additional length/rifling will slow down the sabot from resistance.

Guess I'm just stuck with my 28" 20ga barrel. I also have a 24" 12ga barrel but that thing kicks like a mule.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:06 PM
Typical Buck

shorter will be more accurete. since slugs are pretty slow the effects of the recoil is lifiting the gun up before the slug has left teh barrel. the less time that slug is in the barrel the better off you are not to mess up the flight.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

26 vs 28 won't make one bit of difference in the velocity department. Unless there are other reasons to buy that 28" barrel...such as scope mounting options..better sights, looks aesthetically better etc etc I would keep the 26 and be very happy.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

A longer 28 vs. 26 inch barrel in a shotgun isn't going to add any velocity at all. In fact, a shotgun will burnall of its powder in less than 24 inches.
x2

People still have this engrained in their minds that longer barrels mean more speed and more distance and more accuracy. Especially about shotguns with longer barrels throwing tighter patterns and shooting faster. Almost all modern shotshell cartridges are burning all of their powder by 18-19" of barrel. I cannot imagine that slugs would be much different. Back in the day of slower burning charges, the longer barrels did in fact shoot faster.... but technology changes things...

Typically when people ask at the shop how much farther a 28" barrel will shoot compared to a 26" barrel... my answer is of course.... 2 inches

Quick Reply: 28" vs 26" in a slug barrel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.