HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Caliber for Bear protection! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/252696-caliber-bear-protection.html)

devil dog 07-13-2008 08:16 PM

RE: Caliber for Bear protection!

Although most of the time a black bear will go the other way, certain circumstances will make them charge, first and formost, cubs, if she thinks her cubs are in danger, she will tear anything in her path up, I once saw a vidio of a small female " 300lbs range", take on a boar almost twice her size and kicked his but!, second, if they feel cornered. My personal oppinion is a .44mag or bigger, I would think a 40 or even a 45acp with a heavy hard cast bulletwould do the trick or at least slow it down, but I would rather have the hand canon and a roll of T.P.

popeye 07-13-2008 08:27 PM

I carry a 40 a lot when I'm out also, but I've never considered it a bear defense gun. As a bear defense gun against your average run of the mill black bear a 40 would work, just keep pulling the trigger. A heavy long barrelled 44, 480 or other similar guns are great hunting weapons but for up close and personal work I can't see how you would have time to unholster and bring it into action.

However, my best advise is to use common sense and beware of your surroundings. Most black bears scare easily just by yelling and waving your arms, I've actually done this to several bears and it works.I've even thrown a half empty water bottle at one that got a little too close during squirrel season when I was only armed with a single shot 22.

bigbulls 07-13-2008 08:29 PM

Nice guns but neither of which I would want for bear protection. One is a single action and the other has a long barrel and scope. Hunting yes, bear protection no.

If a black bear charges you had better be prepared to protect yourself as they seldom charge as a bluff.
They seldom charge to begin with and prefer to turn and runbut if they do charge they typically mean business.

Good bearcartridges IMO will start at a 44 mag and go up from there. Keeping in mind that you must be able to control what ever cartridge you decide on.

Good bear guns, IMO,will be a revolver and have a short barrel for quick handling. The longer the barrel the longer it takes you to bring it to bear on target.

HEAD0001 07-14-2008 01:09 AM

You can cover your self with honey and play tag with the cub. Then a black bear may lick you to death. There may be some dangerous black bears in some ares of the country. The North West comes to mind. But eastern black bears will run every time. Your 40 is more than enough medicine for an eastern blackie. Tom.

907Alaska 07-14-2008 02:27 AM

12ga...or.44mag weapons of choice for me!

Retaks 07-14-2008 07:46 AM

I have a 44 mag but have never needed it. They always turn and run.

salukipv1 07-14-2008 03:55 PM

When I think bear protection, I think of grizzlies/brown bears, I agree most black bears will just run the other way, have hunted the NW for black beras, and had black bears just sit there and look at me, eventually we went the other way. I think black bears the big problem is getting between mama and her cubs, otherwise not much of a worry, but stuff does happen, bears won't always act "normal", least you can't count on them to. Course I had the big rifle in hand, either way I think that .44mag or .480 ruger would be my choices and pepper spray.

bigcountry 07-14-2008 04:02 PM

Why are so many people scared of bears these days? I have seen mom with cubs and most of the time, she grunts and they head up a trail or a tree. I walk the other way, and call it a day.

Colorado Luckydog 07-14-2008 07:07 PM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Why are so many people scared of bears these days? I have seen mom with cubs and most of the time, she grunts and they head up a trail or a tree. I walk the other way, and call it a day.
There are more black bear attacks every year than all other types of bears combined. I know it's because there are more black bears, but I'm still gonna go prepared. I lived in Dallas for 33 years and was never attacked by a crackhead. I've lived in Denver for 12 years and have never been attacked by a crackhead. I still go prepared to protect myself from f***ing crackheadsevery single day.Most of the time when you see them you can just look at them and wave your arms and they run away!:D

bigbulls 07-14-2008 07:30 PM

And in Colorado (and other states that have done away with or greatly limitedbear hunting)there are more and more every single year.