Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Kimber Montana in 7 WSM >

Kimber Montana in 7 WSM

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Kimber Montana in 7 WSM

Old 07-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Kimber Montana in 7 WSM

I had one Kimber that had a problem and the customer service was top notch. I was considering a Colt Light Rifle but what would it do that the Montana could not do. I might have to revisit Kimbers. Anyone have one and if so what are their likes and dislikes. I guess I could live without the floorplate.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Kimber Montana in 7 WSM

I shoot quite often with a buddy that has a 300 WSM, 338 Federal and 308 kimber Montana. All three shoot right at 1" moa. The 7mm WSM in a Montana with a Burris short mag scope is the set up I am plotting (against my wife) to get. I know the 7mm WSM is not real popular but I think it is the best of the 7mm cartridges when you consider ballistics and the advantages of the short mag action. The Montana rifles I have fired have really impressed me with their accuracy and handling.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd probably get a 270wsm or 300wsm instead, and I tend to think of push feeds as more accurate than controlled feeds, otherwise I don't see a problem with that setup.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

. I know the 7mm WSM is not real popular but I think it is the best of the 7mm cartridges when you consider ballistics and the advantages of the short mag action.
I have had all 3 of the WSM's and the 7 is the best one in my opinion, shoots a heavier bullet then the 270 WSM just as fast, packs just a tad less energy at long range then the 300 wsm and recoils like a 270 WSM. What's not to like. FIrst deer I shot with one of these was an angled shot ...I blew its leg off on the opposing shoulder...Gosh was that adramatic kill. Should not have been so high in a tree. I too am plotting as well to get one of these
Old 07-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I tend to think of push feeds as more accurate than controlled feeds
How so ???
Old 07-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

If its not a 7mm REM MAG, its not a rifle.....You should know that by now oldelk!
Old 07-11-2008, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

They are certainly very light. My only dislike is the blind mag. Other than that, sounds like a winner for sure.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well the rem 700 action is copied andused by a ton of benchrest shooters, kinda the goto.

While I'm not disputing a controlled feed can be accurate, I think it takes more work to make a controlled feed very accurate than a push feed.

It could be the flip of a coin with accuracy on a factory rifle these days I'm not sure, but to me controlled feed is for big bore dangerous game setups where reliability is the crucial ingredient, not accuracy.

And in a 7mm WSM, I think we're talking accuracy, not dangerous game reliability.

But if someone else has the kimber montanas....I'd be curious to know what type of groups they're getting. 1.5" ? sub MOA? less than a 1/2MOA?
In addition, in a recent gun test, they tested the new model 70, worst or at the bottom of the list in the accuracy department, they probably tested the kimber, should relook, but none the less, only further reinstates the controlled feed vs. push argument.

Personally I expect sub moa out of such calibers, so if I was talking 1.5" with a controlled feed, vs sub MOA with a push, id take a push hands down. And why not? there's no reason to HAVE a controlled feed in this setup, less you're planning to hunt lions?

ORIGINAL: trailer

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I tend to think of push feeds as more accurate than controlled feeds
How so ???
Old 07-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well the rem 700 action is copied andused by a ton of benchrest shooters, kinda the goto.
Because it is simple , can be easily squared that does not equate to an exceptionalhunting rifle and or ruggedness. Did you know that the mag extractor on a 700 is pinned to the bolt and they have a propensity to break near that pin? Get a few slivers of brass behind an extractor and they fail to fire Button ejector don't maintain that and it rusts and freezes. Not a problem for someone that knows how to keep his/her guns in proper shape but for most an item that would be ignored.

It could be the flip of a coin with accuracy on a factory rifle these days I'm not sure, but to me controlled feed is for big bore dangerous game setups where reliability is the crucial ingredient, not accuracy.

Or on an Elk Hunt outside Yellowstone 20 miles from nowhere where whena shot rings out it is ringingthe dinner bell for a Grizzly. Yeah I want a remington in my hands at that moment.

But if someone else has the kimber montanas....I'd be curious to know what type of groups they're getting. 1.5" ? sub MOA? less than a 1/2MOA?
They shoot quite a bit better then most and if you get a good one they are exceptional easily submoa with the right driver behind the wheel

In addition, in a recent gun test, they tested the new model 70, worst or at the bottom of the list in the accuracy department, they probably tested the kimber, should relook, but none the less, only further reinstates the controlled feed vs. push argument.
WHich means nothing I am betting the winchester 70's the new ones to be exceptional. I know the few that I have had were exceptional shooting rifles none of which gave me a problem in the field. I would expect the new one to shoot even better because of tighter tolerances.

Here is a target that I gleaned from another site of the rifle in questions accuracy potential

Old 07-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Typical Buck

See the link below for a review of the the Kimber Caprivi.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/africa-alaska/

If you belive the magazines it claims to be the most accurate rifle ever tested by American Rifleman. I do not see any difference in the push feed or controlled round action when the round is chambered and bolt locked that would give one an advantage. Push feeds are supposed to be less expensive to manufacture and controlled round feed is not of benefit when bench shooting so why pay the extra money for controlled round feed.

Quick Reply: Kimber Montana in 7 WSM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.