Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Browning BAR? >

Browning BAR?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning BAR?

Old 07-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Browning BAR?

ORIGINAL: millerhunter13

^ he didnt call you a liar, he said "outliar" meaning that your experience isnt the majority.

The way I interpret what he said was that statistically what I was saying was impossible. I may be a country redneck. Butin my book I interpret what he said as calling me a liar.He has poked at me before, but IMO this time he went too far.

I did not want to beat around the buish. I want him to know exactly how I feel about what he said. Tom.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:12 PM
MagnumMan308

Browning factory specs for the BAR call for 2" groups to leave the door, and I've got to say, mine gets there for 5 shots easily, and can close in on 1.5". The only accuracy issue they do seem to have is they are not easy to sloppily shoot off a bench. If you are using a front rest without a forearm stop, to get things in the same place time after time, you are going to have a hard time. If you can be consistent with your front bag, or even use a bipod, or use your hand and rest it, things get easier and much more consistent.

I've seen a number of 760's and 7600's, and they are no slouches, but I haven't seen them beat the pants of a BAR either, group sizes are very similar, 1.5-2" with factory ammo and a shooter who is careful at the sight in bench.

I'll happily put my BAR up to the remington challenge.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Magnum Man I should have stated that I also feel that most semi-auot's have some degree of unreliabilty to them(IMO). For example I am a revolver person, not a pistol person.

I have hunted deer in TN where the original poster said he wanted to hunt "hogs and boar". The boar's in TN can get pretty big. I am not questioning any one elses BAR's, but I would not feel comfortable if I needed a follow up shot for one of those big boy's. I would rather have a lever or pump rifle, I truly consider them to be more reliable than any semi-auto. Tom.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:36 PM

In some respects I can see where some folks might see that bolt / lever / pump guns are more reliable... since they are not auto-functioning.... but I can say that I have never had a BAR fail me either.... The BAR is the only auto rifle I would ever consider owning, these days. I also believe them to be more than acceptable for accuracy .... meaning less than 2" groups. And I can say I have seen some mighty fast follow up shots that may not have otherwise been ready had the gun not been an autoloader...... but thats just me. Thats just my experiences. This is just my opinion.

MET

Old 07-04-2008, 10:23 PM

OKay, let's get back on track here fellas... why do you think tghe Marlin 308XP will die a slow death? I'm not saying you're wrong at all, I just wonder why you thino so. I have no loyalty to Marlin, I just liked the thought of the 308XP in a lever action for hogs. The Browning BLR just doesn't look good to me, call me crazy. All my shotguns are Brownings, but I just don't like the BLR.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:59 PM
MagnumMan308

Eveyone is entitled to their own opinion Head0001, and I'm sure your's is backed by your individual experiences. I'm not denying ro questioning that.

But, as an owner of a BAR, among a good number of other rifles, I've got to say, I trustmine 100%, as a fact, it is the only rifle I keep loaded 24-7. I suppose you could say I am willing to bet my life on it working everytime, and so far, it has. Great rifles IME.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:09 PM
MagnumMan308

On the topic of the Marlin 308 dieing a slow death...

Proprietary hot .30cals designed for levergun use do not have a very good history in this country. The .307win was made to fill the same niche, and it fell flat on its face. The .300 Savage was more successful, but its still not a superstar. That said, Marlin and Hornady have a decent history of backing their products, so this time around might be a little different, it's certainly a neat round, and I wouldn't mind having one for myself, but I reload, so ammo is never an issue.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:29 PM

If I reloaded I would be less nervous about it, but I do like the Marlin 308MX and the 308ME cartridge, but yes- I'd be screwed if they stopped making it. Then I'd be calling one of you guys for reloads!
Old 07-05-2008, 07:51 AM

Before I worried about the Marlin, in a proprietary .308 round, I would find the lever gun I wanted and look at the Hornady .308 leverevolution rounds. The tip makes them loadable in tublular magazines and has increased their vel., effectiveness, and down range killing ability. If looking for a lever gun, thats the round to go after.

MET
Old 07-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

my vote goes to you getting a BAR. i had a light weight chambered for the .308 winchester. it was very accurate and reliable. i have a remington 7400 chambered for the .270 and that thing is a joke compared to the BAR. it's not reliable or too accurate, it's accurate enough to kill deer though. i haven't hand loaded for it yet. but, i've tried several different factory loads and i've yet to find anything that will allow the rifle to function properly. i'm going to try a new magazine next. i wish that i would have kept that BAR. but, i was afraid of beating it up in the thick brush here in the south because the wood was pretty. oh well, i should have bought the stalker like i had originally intended. which is what i plan on doing. i will have another BAR someday. i hope the new one is as accurate and reliable as my other. i'm very confident that it will be.

Quick Reply: Browning BAR?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.