Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Muzzleloader or shotgun? >

Muzzleloader or shotgun?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Muzzleloader or shotgun?

Old 07-02-2008, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Muzzleloader or shotgun?

If you know what you are doing a ML is a great one shot rifle,a shotgun can hold up to 7 shots, I use a ML because I like em, If I had to tell someone new to shooting a shotgun is a whole lot easier.
Redclub
Old 07-02-2008, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

you could get a mossberg 500 pump gun. then you could get the slug barrel and the muzzleloader barrel.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:05 PM

I would say to get the muzzleloader. You would have a longer range with it, BUT in todays market like some have already advised, you can get a combo gun that you can interchange muzzleloader or shotgun barrels in a matter of minutes. There are some that are expensive like the TC prohunter, but there are less expensive models like the CVA that are just as good. You can even find some that are cheaper... 200-300 $. But you can get what you pay for sometimes, so go to a shop and look around at all available before deciding. WHen I bought my latest muzzleloader, I had already owned one that was many years old, so I asked around as you are doing now, and then I went out looking and judged for myeslf. I found out that the break breech action was a lot better suited for my needs , and I got the CVA optima in a .45 cal, and it has been one of my best purchases ever. It is in the camo / nickle style, and it is very accurate. I believe that in the CVA with interchangable barrels, the .50 cal is only available, but that is not really a big deal. Most muzzleloaders sold these days are .50 cal. Probably 5 to 1 .50 cals. sold to other cal. muzzleloaders. I did kill 2 -8 pt's with it last year though and they were dead in a hiccup.

On the range ( distance ) thing, the muzzleloader is good for most folks to 150-200 yards, and that used to beat the pants off of shotguns, at least where buckshot only is in use. But where sabots are legal for shotgun hunting, there are now new sabot designs by folks like Hornady that will give you just as long of a range as a muzzleloader. So depending on the legals in your area, which I would advise you make darn sure of, It may be a nonfactor, but accuracy might still be better in the muzzleloader because of more ( longer )rifling.

I hope this helps you out a bit...

God Bless

MET

Old 07-02-2008, 07:32 PM

Why not both?

Slug gun to get into the groove, and a muzzleloader later for the best of both worlds......
Old 07-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

I appreciate the help from everyone. I should have mentioned that i don't want to break the bank just yet. The Pro Hunter would be nice but it looks a little expensive for me. I was already leaning towards a muzzleloader and was looking a maybe one of these cheap combos from BassPro or Dicks Sporting Goods. I am thinking one of these two:
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...003000_400-3-1
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...003000_400-3-1

Please give your opinions?

Old 07-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are a lot of good suggestions here. The only thing no one addressed was experience, and how much commitment you are willing to put into this.

I can reliably shoot my MZ out to 225 or even 250 yards. But I have been shooting MZ's for over 30 years. And have shot thousands of rounds. Shooting this far with a MZ only comes with time, practice, and excellent equipment. $200 or $300 will not do it.

You can buy a good shotgun and be reliably shooting out to 100 or even 125 yards in one weekend. You will never ever do that with a MZ.

If you are a bowhunter then you understand how important practice is. Just remember how long it took you to feel completely confident at 40 yards while hunting(that is too far for me), and that will describe how much commitment it will take to get 200-250 yards out of a MZ. Tom.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:33 PM

I really like my CVA Optima, But between those two I would go with the traditions. In that range, it is six of one and half dozen of the other. The main difference is that the traditions says it has a nickle barrel, and I love the nickle barrel as it is more corrosion resistant than the blued.

BUT I shopped around and found my CVA for 179.00 for camo stock and Nickle barrel. The same gun in Black / Blued was 159.00.

Also, the break action guns are much easier to clean and are very user friendly. IMHO.

Another path to check out is this link....

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/54150.jpg

This is the 500 Muzzleloader combo with a 24" .50 cal muzzleloader barrel and a 12 ga. 24" slugster barrel.

It is a great combo, and Mossberg is known for keeping prices in check...

Just a thought..........

Good Luck and God Bless

Old 07-03-2008, 08:01 AM

If you are leaning towards a muzzy and you don't want to spend a bunch of money take a look at the CVA Wolf, I own the Optima and love it,but I know a lot of people who own the wolf and they really like the gun and they shoot great very easy to clean.Check out the Muzzleloader forum and ask around you will get a ton of good advice from those guy's.(not that your not here)
Old 07-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot the CVA Optima and hunted with it. I would save up your money and get a TC Omega. I've handled the traditions and would pass on it. Get a good muzzleloader.

With the cost of shooting there is no point to skimping on the rifle. Wait till you have the funds. You get what you pay for.

Tom
Old 07-03-2008, 10:57 AM

I have to agree with statjunk. My first ML was a CVA and it was a piece of junk. I felt that the customer service at CVA had a lot to be desired. I haven't had a lick of problems with my Encore and their customer service is awesome. So I ended up paying $175 for a CVA that I gave away and then bought my Encore. I should have just saved up to begin with.

Quick Reply: Muzzleloader or shotgun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.