Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 free flost barrel >

free flost barrel

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

free flost barrel

Old 06-26-2008, 12:09 PM

Default free flost barrel

Hi,

I have a Weatherby Vanguard with the fiberguard stock. I am thinking about removing the pressure pad in the stock so that the barrel is completly free floated. I have done this on a Remington 700 and it did improve accuracy but Weatherby claims that the guy is designed to have the pressure pad and that removing it could hurt accuracy. The gun shoots pretty good but as soon at the barrel gets wam my shots really start to creep high. I am waiting about 10 min between rounds.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2008, 12:26 PM

Default RE: free flost barrel

Never seena rifleshoot worse with a Free Float...

That said, a pressure point is only slightly simpler to replace than it is to remove.........
Old 06-26-2008, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

have a Weatherby Vanguard with the fiberguard stock. I am thinking about removing the pressure pad in the stock so that the barrel is completly free floated. I have done this on a Remington 700 and it did improve accuracy but Weatherby claims that the guy is designed to have the pressure pad and that removing it could hurt accuracy. The gun shoots pretty good but as soon at the barrel gets wam my shots really start to creep high. I am waiting about 10 min between rounds.
They come with a pretty stout barrel that would be ok for removing the pressure point. I would bed the action if I did that and that action is probably the easiest action in the world to bed. What kind of groups are you getting now and with what type of ammo?
Old 06-26-2008, 02:23 PM

groups are usually abour 1 to 1.5" at 100yrds with Accubonds. There are some floaters that open the groups up after the first 3 or 4 shots. Thefrequent stray is what wories me. I'll also be trying TTSX.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Free float the barrel if you wish,then experiment around with different pressures on the barrel if it don't shoot better free floated.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:18 AM
Typical Buck

Try it if it don't work with a bit of epoxy you can put it back. I free float all of mine.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

That said, a pressure point is only slightly simpler to replace than it is to remove.........

Been bedding actions and floating barrels for 40 years and have seenone that shot the sameafter the barrel was floated: The gunwas a Remington 700 in .22/250 that made 2" groups at 100 yards. Cured the problem with a short piece of dowel mortised into the fore end. The gun then made .5 inch three shot groups at 100 yards.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: falcon

Been bedding actions and floating barrels for 40 years and have seenone that shot the sameafter the barrel was floated: The gunwas a Remington 700 in .22/250 that made 2" groups at 100 yards. Cured the problem with a short piece of dowel mortised into the fore end. The gun then made .5 inch three shot groups at 100 yards.

falcon.....I've also been doing the same kind of work as you for about the same length of time...But you've got my curiosity aroused. Could you explain to me just what you did with the dowel? Create a pressure point? Did you set the dowel in horizontally or vertically? I've had to re-create pressure points before, but always used a different approach. Interesting......
Old 06-27-2008, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

Why don't Rifle manufactures free float the barrel to begin with if it is known to improve accuracy?
Old 06-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some manufacturers do free float barrels and some don't-it all depends on the brand.

Quick Reply: free flost barrel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.