Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 New semi - auto Rifle .... >

New semi - auto Rifle ....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New semi - auto Rifle ....

Old 06-24-2008, 11:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default New semi - auto Rifle ....

I,m looking at buying a new semi-auto rifle .
Looked at the new Browning short action and the Winchester XSR ?
Some one at work mentioned a Remington 7500 .
Any oppinions on these guns ??
Mostly will be used Down State NY for the new rifle season .
I,m thinking of the 270 wsm caliber .
I now have a 270 cal, in the 7400 Remington .
Shoots good with reloads but not with factory ammo .
So a great shooting gun using factory ammo. is my first choice ...
Old 06-25-2008, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New semi - auto Rifle ....

If I were you I would go with the Browning BAR. They are proven. I can'tcommentabout the Remington 7500 you mentioned.I don't follow Remington and that's a new model to me. I know the Remington 742's left allot to be desired for reliability.I had a couple of them over the years and they are both gone now.Yeah if it were my money I'd put it on a Browning and leave the Remington alone.I have no experience with the Winchester,hopefully someone here does.
Good luck.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I second redhawk's remarks. If you REALLY want a semiauto that'll shoot any factory load good,get a BARwith BOSS and CR (conventional recoil)module for it.The cr piece DON'T make it louder like the regular boss does. I realize a lot of people condemn the boss but I have seen the results in side by side comparisons and the boss flat out works. Also I would go with the 7mm rem mag or 300 wsm over the 270 wsm as you already have a 270.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Ruger-Redhawk

If I were you I would go with the Browning BAR. They are proven. I can'tcommentabout the Remington 7500 you mentioned.I don't follow Remington and that's a new model to me. I know the Remington 742's left allot to be desired for reliability.I had a couple of them over the years and they are both gone now.Yeah if it were my money I'd put it on a Browning and leave the Remington alone.I have no experience with the Winchester,hopefully someone here does.
Good luck.
+1
Old 06-25-2008, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

+1 on the BAR.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a BAR owner and lovit it!
This is what I consider my stalking / swamp gun, as it's iron sights, but would not blink an eye @ adding a scope if needed. Very accurate!
It's a .30-06 and gas operated, which has less recoil than my .270 which I use for longer range / open style hunting.
It's also fairely light to carry all day.
I bought mine used in excellent condition for $620.
Many models available wood or synthetic.
I happen to like my wood!

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...?webflag_=002B

Old 06-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

my BAR in .270 is an amazing shooter, 1/2MOA (factory ammo)

I've since become a bolt action fan though, and if I were buying a rifle I would get a bolt.

Some guys have been panning the newer BAR's etc....not sure how many variations they had back in the day when I got mine, but now i know they have like 10 it seems, but the old standard BAR is great, not sure if they're still made in belgium?

I'd skip the boss completely though, I have it on my abolt and wish I didn't my bar doesn't and its amazing.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

Some guys have been panning the newer BAR's etc....not sure how many variations they had back in the day when I got mine, but now i know they have like 10 it seems, but the old standard BAR is great, not sure if they're still made in belgium?

I'd skip the boss completely though, I have it on my abolt and wish I didn't my bar doesn't and its amazing. AGREED

I don't think much is made in Belgium anymore, mostly Japan, except the higher end guns??? Or engraving and such.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I now have a 270 cal, in the 7400 Remington. Shoots good with reloads but not with factory ammo.
IF you have a Remington SA that shoots well,you are among the fortunate few. These rifles, unlike their otherwise identical hand-operated counterpart 760-series, are not known for exceptional accuracy.

I would try a BAR.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

I don't think much is made in Belgium anymore, mostly Japan, except the higher end guns??? Or engraving and such.
At the time the abolts I think were being made in Japan.....the BAR's were still belgium made, one reason my gun guy talked me into the BAR, that's a shame, assuming they're all made in japan now.

I tell ya though, for a semi auto .270 shooting 1/2MOA with factory loads....what more can you ask for.

If a rifle will shoot 1/2moa at 100yds, won't it hold that group out indefinitely? I hear guys say factory ammo and long range don't go together....but then again I don't know how many factory ammo/rifle combos get 1/2moa either?

but plenty of guns will shoot 1 or 1.5moa nowadays.....

Quick Reply: New semi - auto Rifle ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.